Infinity 700 or Ipad3

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm in the market for a new Tablet, I currently own the Moto Xoom and truly I hate it and Verizon and Moto has left with a bad taste with this tablet anyhow with all there broken promises.

OK on to my question, I've been considering the new Ipad 3 and have viewed it several times at Verizon and I have to say the screen is amazingly crisp and sharp. Now I've never owned an apple product in my life so I know nothing about them except apple has them locked down, unless you jail break them. Then here is coming in the near future this new tablet from Asus, I've read around a bit and it seems to be or will be the best android tablet on the market when it's released. But this is all speculation based on specs and not real life use. So I'm turning to you guys for guidance, I'm not interested in an apple vs Android game I'm really interested in knowledge and facts. So please lets hold back the anti apple comments. My main interest is since I do photography I want to load my photos onto the tablet, maybe watch movies and play a few games. Then there will be plenty of internet browsing while sitting at work. I keep reading in phones Android is the way to go but Apple still holds the top notch where as it comes to tablets, readings are basically there just more polished where as the android tablets just aren't quiet there and some are still saying they just still feel incomplete.
So in reality of the two mentioned which is going to be the best long term value on money spent and which is going to have the best hardware? I'm just looking for the best overall bottom line without the personal opinions just facts.

Thanks in advance,

James

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Both have their plusses and minuses. I have a transformer tf101 and also a first Gen iPad. The iPad feels like more of a toy to me where the transformer feels like I could actually get some work done on it if I had to.

If you're married to Google then I'd go with the transformer. Otherwise you might enjoy the iPad as it has more games and tablet optimized apps.

Being able to purchase a keyboard dock to add functionality is also a killer feature of the transformer. However it is $150 extra.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

loisclark

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Based on what you want to you cannot go wrong with either in my opinion. However, since you do not have any Mac products you will be stuck with itunes; which in my opinion is not the easiest app to transfer data (if you have it stored in multiple locations), so there will be a learning curve; where the infinity will mount like an additional drive for easy drag and drop coping. Price will also be a factor; will cost you $100 more for an Ipad 32gb; where the infinity you can also add up to a 32 GB micro SD card to make your infinity 64 GB; which might benefit you since you said you have alot of photo's plus if you plan on storing any video's. In our household we have both; my wife has the Ipad and I ordered the Infinity for the hdmi output to tv and the extra storage capability. However it is always a chore when my wife wants me to transfer something to her ipad; not that it is really harder just a longer process. I doubt you will be disappointed with either; but if cost; extra storage capability, easy drag and drop transfer are important to you ; I would go with the Infinity.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The big difference in software is that iOS has more and better tablet apps. Expect that to change for android with the nexus 7, as I expect it to become incredibly popular because of the price and quality.
The hardware is similar, but the iPad has no real advantage over the infinity (well, since graphics power, but you'll never really notice the difference). The infinity obviously has some reason hardware features, including the dock, which is the biggest draw for many people. The dock's SD card slot may be incredibly helpful if you're using a camera that uses normal SD cards (and the microSD is helpful for expandable storage). The screen is nice on the iPad, but the infinity I'm sure would serve your needs very well.

Sent from my XT875 using Android Central Forums

PaperMate3rd

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I had the transformer prime (had to send it back it had a dead pixel when i opened the box) they didnt have them in stock when i returned it so i got a full refund. Shortly after, the infinity was announced and for me it was a no brainer to hold out for that model. It has been extremly tough i must say "waiting it out" I miss my prime dearly it was my baby. Shortly after i sent it back (2 weeks to be exact) i got the ipad 2 for my girlfriend for her birthday 16gig 3G version. Between the two of us its the only apple product we own. She loves it, i like it. The tab optimized apps are amazing they truely are. But for me thats where it ends. EVERYTHING else i liked better on my Prime. From a hardware standpoint NOTHING about the ipad 2 was better than my prime ICS came out for it less than a month after i had it and it ran very very well. Everything was on par with the Ipad but it had more. Battery life on both is amazing screen on both incredible speed on both graphics everything. But i had expandable storage a file browser keyboard dock option better camera voice search and dictation which is very useful on a tablet. I find typing on a large screen to be tiring do to how much travel you have to do with your fingers. 16.9 aspect ratio made movies and video playback much better and also my prime played almost ANY video file i through at it MKV files and BlueRay rips played no problem. I was in your same position leading up to the announcement of the ipad 3. When it was released I can say with confidence my judgment will be the same about the Infinity over the ipad. The ipad3's screen is the best for sure but not by a margine thats large enough for it to kill the infinty (ipad3 Screen resolution is 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch or ppi and the Transformer Infinity will be 1920 x 1200 resolution at 224 pixel per inch) unless you have them side by side your Infinity will look spectacular. Also after google I/O and the Nexus 7 i think its safe to say Asus and Google have a pretty good relationship similar to what Google and HTC had when the Nexus One came out (Those were the days lol). That being said I'd be very VERY shocked if the infinity doesnt get Android 4.1 Jellybean if it doesn't ship with it out of the box (possible but unlikely imho) with enhancements like Project Butter and Google Now and improved voice search the gap between the best Android Tablet on the market at that time and the Ipad3 will be BEYOOOOOOND closed. Like i said tablet apps for now apple has in the bag and the retina display is best in class, but 1920 x 1200 HD on a 10 inch screen is no slouch by any means and while the ipad does have a much larger variety of QUAILTY tablet optimized apps there are alot on Android as well you have to look harder and by comparrison not nearly as many. But like a poster above said with the release of the Nexus 7 at its pricepoint i think ALOT more developers are going to be taking a much harder look at android tabs now. Not to mention the nexus 7 runs tegra 3 as does thee Asus Infinity which will bring familiarity to developers and help development for the platform as a whole. -Fin-

Last edited:

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that was a little long. He basically explained my ideas with a little more story, and that will help be more persuasive to you to buy the infinity. I personally want to be able to do schoolwork on the thing, and I doubt I could do that easily on an iPad. I'm buying the tablet, the dock, and a stylus, I want to take all my notes on it (it's difficult to type math symbols)

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
the versatility the prime provides (if you buy the keyboard dock) is the difference maker for me. the dock allows me to make this the only portable "computer" i need to carry, only needing to use my desktop for serious computing needs

Splitz

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
the versatility the prime provides (if you buy the keyboard dock) is the difference maker for me. the dock allows me to make this the only portable "computer" i need to carry, only needing to use my desktop for serious computing needs

And this is exactly why I'm going to scrape the money together and get an Infinity over the iPad3.

The keyboard/dock with the additional battery life to me, pushes the iPad3 out.

Sure, more apps for the iPad through iTunes, but so? Like I said in a previous thread, it is all about what you use the tablet for.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
And this is exactly why I'm going to scrape the money together and get an Infinity over the iPad3.

The keyboard/dock with the additional battery life to me, pushes the iPad3 out.

Sure, more apps for the iPad through iTunes, but so? Like I said in a previous thread, it is all about what you use the tablet for.

If you want to play games on it...buy an iPad. If you want to do work on it, but the Transformer. It's very difficult to do any kind of work on a touchscreen, I personally wouldn't be buying a tablet if I couldn't get the keyboard dock with it.

Manipulate

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that was a little long. He basically explained my ideas with a little more story, and that will help be more persuasive to you to buy the infinity. I personally want to be able to do schoolwork on the thing, and I doubt I could do that easily on an iPad. I'm buying the tablet, the dock, and a stylus, I want to take all my notes on it (it's difficult to type math symbols)

This is why Im getting one. No KB dock, but ive been researching stylus'. "Styli"?

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My mom has the iPad3 and she loves it but really misses the versatility of her transformer. The iPad is great for reading books and games on but the transformer is going to be much better for movies and editing documents. The infinity beat out the iPad on every benchmark except for the graphics and it still almost won that category too. For Web browsing the infinity is going to be a much better experience

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nex2knotN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
In short I have both, well its an iPad2 and like everyone else has mentioned its going to come down to preference and requirements. You can't go wrong with either. If you like the idea of an open system with lots of options the Infinity will give you that. If you like simplicity and a close and controlled ecosystem the iPad will suite your needs.

I don't think you can go wrong with either product. With a 10" HD screen you probably will not notice a whole lot difference unless you are comparing the products next to each other. I thought my Prime had a great screen when I compared it to my iPad2, then my Infinity was even better then the Prime in side by side comparison and I'm sure the iPad3 will have an even better screen with that many pixels. So aside from the screen I think both products like the previous mentions have their advantages and disadvantages.

Either way, good luck on your choice!

Scarab

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This is a tough question because both have some merit, it's really a personal preference I think. First and foremost, you mentioned you own a Xoom. My deepest sympathies. :D I've always been a Moto fan, but that product was a "swing and a miss".

My wife has the iPad, and I have the new ASUS TF700t. No comparison, I'll take the Asus over the locked down iPad any day. It's an impressive device, seems smooth and fast, and more "open" to me, and I feel like I can do more for less $$.

I'm just not a big fan of the proprietary nature of Apple's environment, everything is locked down, stringent and unwavering. It seems there's always a proprietary related issue with our iPad. I can't use the printer we have in the house so now we need a new printer. Won't work with the router we have, so now I need a new router. The wife gets pissed when she can't watch video on her favorite websites, and these things just goe on and on.

Android isn't perfect, it has it's issues too. But overall I prefer it over the Apple. Look at the new ASUS Infinity TF700T, it's impressive.

If you've had enough of being bent over a barrel with VZW prices, fees and surcharges, look around. At the end of the day, I only needed a $25 a month prepay plan with T-mobile using their hotspot hockey puck device. 4g speed, and no coverage issues in my area, it was a no-brainer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon