Am I blind? iPad3 vs TF700 display

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So I have both. In some ways the iPad form factor (not as long) is easier, and some of the apps like Paper53 and other really GOOD drawing tools are available only on iPad. However, despite the insistence of the Apple fans, I cannot see the difference in the displays all the bloggers are telling me is obvious. Not even when reading on my Kindle app. The Asus looks every bit as good as the iPad3, and that is with them sitting right next to each other displaying the same text.

I'm not going to put them under magnification, because what would be the point? I don't use them that way. But while the difference between the iPad2 and the TF201 compared to the iPad3 and TF700 is obvious to me, the difference between the two new guys is just not there.

However, the sound sucks on both of them :(

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The iPad 3 resolution is supposed to be 2048x1536. The TF700 display is 1920x1200. They really aren't that far apart. With the iPad3 having a slightly different aspect ratio than the TF700 you're probably not going to see too much difference, certainly not enough for the naked eye to differentiate. To be honest, I couldn't see much difference between my TF201 (1280x800) and my TF700 (1920x1200), just because the screen is so small. Seriously, my 24" monitor on my desktop PC is 1920x1200.

pucrepeap

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When you look at ppi, they seem even closer. 264ppi for the ipad3 vs 224ppi for the infinity. At this stage int he game that difference is practically non existent

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
40 PPI is a HUGE difference.

Yup. When you look at pixel count, the TF700 has ~2.3 million, while the iPad3 has ~3.14 million. So that's around 35% more pixels on the iPad3. On a screen that's actually smaller. So numerically it's fairly significant, but from a perception standpoint, you wouldn't know the difference to look at them. Why pay extra for a difference that you won't even see?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Yup. When you look at pixel count, the TF700 has ~2.3 million, while the iPad3 has ~3.14 million. So that's around 35% more pixels on the iPad3. On a screen that's actually smaller. So numerically it's fairly significant, but from a perception standpoint, you wouldn't know the difference to look at them. Why pay extra for a difference that you won't even see?

I guess that's my point. People are making a big deal over it (well, bloggers, if they count) but when it comes to it, it doesn't seem to. Is it obvious compared to the previous generation panel? Yup. But not between these two.

I'm hard put to decide which device I like better. They both perform on a par. But I do like Android better than iOS.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

You can see the difference.

pucrepeap

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can't see the difference unless you're face is pressed up against the screen. At proper viewing distance they're indistinguishable

At this level 40 ppi is not that big of a difference. The difference between 100 ppi and 60 ppi would be big, but at this level the pixels are so small that you really aren't able to tell much of a difference.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You can't see the difference unless you're face is pressed up against the screen. At proper viewing distance they're indistinguishable

At this level 40 ppi is not that big of a difference. The difference between 100 ppi and 60 ppi would be big, but at this level the pixels are so small that you really aren't able to tell much of a difference.

See above. On a 10 inch screen that extra 40 PPI is over a million extra pixels. Yes, you can see it. Just like you can see the difference between the 260ish PPI RAZR and and the 300ish PPI of the one x/nexus/s3. I've owned all of them, and the RAZR looked pixelated and blurry compared to the others.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about iPad 3 vs Infinity but I do know my Captivate definitely looks like ass now. I loved it until I powered the Inifinity on the first time. Now I don't pick it up unless I have to.

I'm spoiled and it sucks. Kinda. But not.

lupulo

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Comparing my Infinity to my wife's iPad3, I don't see the difference in PPI. But there are big differences in functionality. I love the Infinity's Keyboard Dock, and the expandability is the best in the industry today. I've been waiting for the Infinity since before the original iPad came out. I compromised my dreams and bought a 32GB Toshiba Thrive (referb from Woot.com) a year ago, and it was good, but that's now loaned to the grandkids to play on when they come to my house. The Infinity is mine! ( I see big differences between the Infinity and the Thrive).

jacksonlui

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
i have both the ipad3 and the T700.
visually you can tell the difference when you're looking at pictures.
sure you might not be able to tell by looking at one spot because you're can't discern the details however overal the ipad3 has more depth and crispness.
i still like my t700 because of it's form factor and expandability. the keyboard is the bees knees.

having said that, the ipad still seems more polished and it has better response when interacting with it.
typing on the T700 is utter crap. i wish T700 can be changed so it's as responsive as the ipad, that's the only thing i hate.

form factor, weight, thickness....T700 is better.

I don't know how it got into a mini review but back to the OP, yes, you can tell the difference between the ipad and T700. Its more pleasant looking at HD pictures on the ipad. T700 is good enough so I wouldn't buy it because of the extra detail. It's not big enough of a differentiator.

petefromphilly

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Infinity for about a week, and I haven't had an issue with typing. Or sluggishness. Google Now is the only app I feel is under cooked. Springs to life on a nexus 7... takes a bit on the Infinity. Otherwise, as long as I'm at least in balance power mode, I can type in Chrome or OfficeSuitePro without any real noticeable lag.

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The whole PPI thing reminds me of the megapixel wars in digital cams. Is there a visible difference? Depends on what you are looking at (how hi res is the source image), how close you are looking at it, and how good your eyesight is (LOL.) But like digital cams and smartphones, it seems there is a lot of spec debating/bragging that goes on as if these items are more status symbols than appliances. The jist of this thread is, in many cases, the differences on paper don't translate to very noticeable differences for actual application/usage for many types of devices and various specs.

I'm tablet-less right now, just got rid of an iPad 1 and debating whether to go iOS or Android. It seems there is still a *RELATIVE* lack of tablet-centric apps for Android. Seems the Phone-centric Droid apps scaled nicely to the Nexus 7. Nexus 10, maybe not so great for some apps. $499 for a new Nexus 10 32GB, yet Adorama currently selling TF700 32GB for $449. Yet, a few weeks ago, Apple was selling refurb iPad 3 16GB in Apple Store for $379 (people were still paying $430-$440 for private seller used on E-bay - NUTS!)

My kids say stick with iPad (they use the thing 80% of the time and we already invested $75-$100 in iOS apps). But the power gadget user in me wants to break out of the Apple Jail!

Seems like a used/refurb TF-700 would be a good way to test the waters as I could at least get my money back on Ebay if I didn't think the Droid Tablet experience was up to snuff compared to iOS yet. Would be interesting to get the kids opinion, and not have them fight over over our Windows laptop! Thing is, major reason for going Android on tablet is forthcoming user profiles in Jelly Bean. Apple seems to think everyone can afford to buy a tablet for everyone in their household (or at least want to encourage that.) Wonder how long I'll have to wait for O/S update with user profiles on the TF700?

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Both the 700 and iPad (3 or new 4) pretty much have resolutions beyond what the average human eye can discern. Ask an opthamologist how much of what we see is actually resolved by our eyes, and how much is actually filled in by our brain's visual cortex. But there is another difference that nobody has mentioned so far, and that is that the 700 in super ips+ mode is brighter than the iPad. The soon-to-be-released Nexus 10 will also have overkill resolution. At these pixel counts, the manufacturers would be better off improving in other performance areas, since resolution, for practical purposes, is maxed out for human vision.

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ya, in the photography enthusiast forums for years, people would look at zoomed in views of digital photos and would see that the additional megapixels on the camera sensors just started introducing more noise into the photo and didn't offer any better detail. From 2 megapixel to about 6 megapixel there was good improvement in the clarity on point and shoots. But beyond 6 megapixel, the limiting factors are really the size of the sensor and the lens system. A 14+ megapixel CCD on a point and shoot is ridiculous. All it does is create unnecessarily larger file sizes. On cameras with larger sensors, like an SLR, they get benefit from more megapixels. The pixel density of the CCD is kin to PPI on the screen. They both follow the law of diminishing returns. In fact, on some models, as users have pointed out, the higher PPI tablet has slower performance because the GPU has to work harder. But there's a whole consumer psychological aspect to the "better" specification thing and manufacturer marketing departments know that. We are unfortunately in the minority of consumers that have the knowledge to understand this and salespeople in the store aren't going to sending you out the store telling you to go buy an older model on Ebay.

GaBrownzFan

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I see most of you are way more experienced about these 2 items than i am so i have a question - i have an ipad 3 but was actually looking for an asus tf700. i happened to get the ipad 3 for $300 from a private owner (a good deal?). it has the retina screen, 16 GB though - but the A5X chip. the reason i'm mostly thinking of still getting the asus is because you can put a sd card in it and you can't with the ipad (plus usb i think). the ipad had 13 GB of memory when I got it and all i've put on it are some apps and it's now down to 10 or 11. i haven't even put music on it yet and was worried that i might run out of room. could this possibly be a problem down the road?
any answers would be a help - thanks

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If you want to put your music and pictures (not to mention videos) on your tablet, 16gb are going to be tight.
IMHO that is one of the best things about the TF700: You have a micro SD slot in the tablet (16gb according to specs but some people have reported using 32gb cards with no problems), a SD card slot and USB connector in the keyboard dock. Plus, the dock has an additional battery and it's pure pleasure to type on it compared to any on-screen keyboard I have tried.

To get back to the OP: I agree with most people in this thread: The difference between the displays of the last iPad, Nexus 10 and the Asus TF700 is negligible. They are all great and should not be a deciding factor in anybody's buying decision. There are far more important pros and cons to each tablet, and most of those depend on how you plan to use it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey