Asus Transformer or Ipad or Nexus 7

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a tablet but I'm stuck between the three. I like a big screen for a tablet but then again I think to myself that it won't be as portable as a 7inch nexus 7. And other obstacles like hardware, software, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendation for the 3 tablets? And if so, what are your reasoning for choosing that one over all.

Checker

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I can't tell you anything about the Nexus 7, but I have experience with the other two. I bought my wife an ipad (3) this past spring and an Infinity 700 for myself a couple of months ago. When the Infinity 700 works right, it's every bit as good as the ipad. Problem is, the operating system is just not as stable as the ipad. I have to restart it at least once a day. My wife has had to restart her ipad maybe three times since she's had it.

While I really prefer the openness of the android platform, and really kind of despise the whole proprietary nonsense that is Apple, if I had to do it over, I would buy myself the ipad. There is just less hassle with it and it's more reliable.

That's my 2 cents worth. Your experience may vary...

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After the latest update a couple of days ago, my TF Infinity has been running very well. If you plan on doing work-type stuff, TF Infinity + keyboard dock is the way to go. If you already have an iPhone and/or Mac, I'd get the iPad. And if you're just going to consume media (movies, music) and browse the internet I'd go with the Nexus 7.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

jchb

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me there are two critical issues one is form factor/size. Do you prefer the larger Transformer/iPad size or is the smaller 7" Nexus size more appropriate for you needs?
Secondly, open Android system or the closed Apple universe.

I found that for me the Galaxy Nexus 7 was the better choice. One I prefer Android's openness and I found the the smaller form factor was perfect for my use. I've had my Nexus about three months now and am very happy with it. For me, it's perfect.

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have not had any bugs with my infinity, but maybe I'm just lucky. I debated between the ipad and infinity and for me, besides the open platform of Android, it came down to memory. I read a lot of people were having memory issues with the ipad because the apps take up so much room now that they need to work with the retina display. It limited the music and movies loaded and not only is iCloud unreliable, you can't access without a data plan or wifi. So you need to shell out more money for more memory.

I've never played with the N7 but I've heard good things.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What answer did you expect in a this forum, apparently we choose the Infinity.

This may be true that "we" are biased a bit toward the Infinity, but the person who started it wants to know a detailed reason why.

I say in reference to his question: Reliability, Storage Capability, Functionality, and Aesthetics are what makes me choose the Infinity over anything else. But it all depends on what you want in size (7in vs. 10in), need for speed vs. don't care how fast as long as it works, and preference on UI (iOS vs. Android). So what I suggest is to try all pads (they are available in retail stores) and judge on them for yourself what you think you'll need in the meantime from their functionality. Plus most places offer a 14-30 day guarantee of satisfaction, so if you purchase one and don't like it within that time, bring it back for a different model.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your input!
In my preference I would prefer a 10 inch screen. I would like the ipad because of it's vast accessories, etc. But I really love the keyboard dock for the transformer as well as android since I have a Gnex GSM, and that would eliminate my need for a laptop (unless you disagree? If so please be detailed in why). I'm on the border line between the asus and ipad. But then there's another factor about getting a laptop as well. So... If I go with the transformer, I can get a laptop basically. (Just for word processing, etc.). And those who have been getting lag issues, restart needed, etc, would the jelly bean update fix all those issues?

Unfortunately, charlesspivak1, I do not have enough to purchase one immediately. Nor is there a lot of stores that has a working demo device of the asus transformer/nexus 7 near my area. That is why I am getting different views from others that has either, or all, of the devices and their opinions.

Thank you all again for your input!

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your input!
In my preference I would prefer a 10 inch screen. I would like the ipad because of it's vast accessories, etc. But I really love the keyboard dock for the transformer as well as android since I have a Gnex GSM, and that would eliminate my need for a laptop (unless you disagree? If so please be detailed in why). I'm on the border line between the asus and ipad. But then there's another factor about getting a laptop as well. So... If I go with the transformer, I can get a laptop basically. (Just for word processing, etc.). And those who have been getting lag issues, restart needed, etc, would the jelly bean update fix all those issues?

Unfortunately, charlesspivak1, I do not have enough to purchase one immediately. Nor is there a lot of stores that has a working demo device of the asus transformer/nexus 7 near my area. That is why I am getting different views from others that has either, or all, of the devices and their opinions.

Thank you all again for your input!

I hear ya...it is a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion. Better to be an informed consumer about purchasing such things.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya...it is a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion. Better to be an informed consumer about purchasing such things.

Yes, I'm always doing extensive research on anything that's pricey or anything for that matter. Well worth it in my opinion.

And also I've heard that the Asus Transformer keyboard lags a bit. This would be a definite let down as I do not wish for my typing to be lagged out while I'm in class or anything. Do you guys think Jelly bean update would fix this issue? And if you have the tablet updated to Jelly bean and use the keyboard would you please write a detailed report on its performance? And would it lag after writing, say, 5 pages continuously, etc.?

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm always doing extensive research on anything that's pricey or anything for that matter. Well worth it in my opinion.

And also I've heard that the Asus Transformer keyboard lags a bit. This would be a definite let down as I do not wish for my typing to be lagged out while I'm in class or anything. Do you guys think Jelly bean update would fix this issue? And if you have the tablet updated to Jelly bean and use the keyboard would you please write a detailed report on its performance? And would it lag after writing, say, 5 pages continuously, etc.?

Any keyboard/typing (don't think it has anything to do with the keyboard itself) lag I've ever experienced has been very minor, certainly nowhere near game changing. You'll hardly notice it while typing continuously (like notes or a report), and when/if you do, if you give it half a second it should correct itself. Also, I do feel JB will make this even less of an issue (this is to be determined next week when JB lands on the Infinity). The only thing you might want to take more note of is the fact that the keyboard is not "full" sized as you might be used to on a regular laptop or desktop keyboard. That being said, all the normal keys are there and I feel that its layout is very good, so unless you have super giant Shrek sized hands, it should do a person fairly well even with continuous typing.

Hope that helps.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Any keyboard/typing (don't think it has anything to do with the keyboard itself) lag I've ever experienced has been very minor, certainly nowhere near game changing. You'll hardly notice it while typing continuously (like notes or a report), and when/if you do, if you give it half a second it should correct itself. Also, I do feel JB will make this even less of an issue (this is to be determined next week when JB lands on the Infinity). The only thing you might want to take more note of is the fact that the keyboard is not "full" sized as you might be used to on a regular laptop or desktop keyboard. That being said, all the normal keys are there and I feel that its layout is very good, so unless you have super giant Shrek sized hands, it should do a person fairly well even with continuous typing.

Hope that helps.

Yes it helps greatly, thank you!
Only thing I wish is that the transformer has cases that can dock with the keyboard and stuff. Looked online for it but no luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol