Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sparksd
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Hard to believe that a tablet of this quality and price range can't play AVI movies. Very disappointed about this.
    I'm also finding this table to be not very user-friendly. The UI is not intuitive at all and not easy to use. Things that you need are there, but often hidden where you wouldn't expect them to be. Does anyone else have the same concerns, about the AVI and the UI?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2reg View Post
    Hard to believe that a tablet of this quality and price range can't play AVI movies. Very disappointed about this.
    I'm also finding this table to be not very user-friendly. The UI is not intuitive at all and not easy to use. Things that you need are there, but often hidden where you wouldn't expect them to be. Does anyone else have the same concerns, about the AVI and the UI?
    no....
    u need a custom rom and mx player from the market
    stock player always sucks

    Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums
    He who stands on toilet is high on pot
  3. #3  
    sparksd's Avatar

    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Quote Originally Posted by vernotzy21 View Post
    no....
    u need a custom rom and mx player from the market
    stock player always sucks

    Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums
    I can play avi using MX Player Pro on stock ROM.
    PittsPgh likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2reg View Post
    I'm also finding this table to be not very user-friendly. The UI is not intuitive at all and not easy to use. Things that you need are there, but often hidden where you wouldn't expect them to be. Does anyone else have the same concerns, about the AVI and the UI?
    I've found the opposite. One of the things I like about it as how user friendly and intuitive it is.

    My six year old and nine year find it easy to navigate, too. The only hold-up for them being able to use it is that they first need me to use the facial recognition to unlock it, lol. But after that, they've both figured it out without my assistance.

    As for the video, I put MX Player on the tablet and it seems to be able to pay anything I run across.
    Michael

    HTC One
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    I have no idea what facial recognition is. No mention in the user manual.
    As for MX player, I installed it but it doesn't have an option to play streaming video (as from my media server) so I assume if it plays AVI's that they would have to be stored on the tablet itself and I was hoping to play from my media server.
  6. #6  
    sparksd's Avatar

    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    What I do: I can access my media storage on my network using the File Manager HD app from the Play Store. I select a video to play and am prompted for what app to play it with and I select MX Player. I could skip the last prompt by selecting "always use this app" but have just preferred not to.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Sparked
    Didn't work for me, but I'm on jelly bean, maybe that's why. It wouldn't connect to my server.
  8. #8  
    sparksd's Avatar

    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2reg View Post
    Sparked
    Didn't work for me, but I'm on jelly bean, maybe that's why. It wouldn't connect to my server.
    I also am on JB - how exactly are you doing it?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    I opened the File Manager HD, and then went to the network (LAN) option. Then it said no connections, so I had it scan, and it found the two PC's (one is the file server). I selected that one but then it wouldn't connect. So that was the end of that. I uninstalled the FIle Manager HD.
    Last edited by bill2reg; 10-23-2012 at 06:36 AM.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2reg View Post
    I opened the File Manager HD, and then went to the network (LAN) option. Then it said no connections, so I had it scan, and it found the two PC's (one is the file server). I selected that one but then it wouldn't connect. So that was the end of that. I uninstalled the FIle Manager HD.
    i use es file explorer i stream videos from my dropbox all the time


    WITH MOST THINGS ON A ANDROID GO TO YOUr FILE AND LONG PRESS ALSO TRY (ahh caps)
    setting the mx player decoder to software decoding software decoding works better with streaming

    Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums
    He who stands on toilet is high on pot
  11. #11  
    sparksd's Avatar

    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2reg View Post
    I opened the File Manager HD, and then went to the network (LAN) option. Then it said no connections, so I had it scan, and it found the two PC's (one is the file server). I selected that one but then it wouldn't connect. So that was the end of that. I uninstalled the FIle Manager HD.
    Sounds like a possible firewall issue.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    I doubt it's a firewall issue since all our other devices connect with no problems. Other Android, Apple and Acer laptop etc.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    I had a similar problem as the asus would only find some files until i changed the network permissions on my desktop to allow all access on the home network.


    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Not a problem with permissions, since the media server files are all available to all my other devices too. What I have learned is that this tablet doesn't support AVI, so I'm having to convert all to MP4, which is plays very well.
  15. #15  
    sparksd's Avatar

    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2reg View Post
    Not a problem with permissions, since the media server files are all available to all my other devices too. What I have learned is that this tablet doesn't support AVI, so I'm having to convert all to MP4, which is plays very well.
    Strange - I can play AVI files stored on a networked drive using File Manager HD and both MX Player Pro and the stock video player.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    has anyone given Dice Player a shot? Free on the playstore and supposed to handle AVI, network, and a bunch of other formats. Can't hurt to try it.
  17. #17  
    TimothyP's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Get BS Player. It will play every format you throw at it. No need to convert movies. It can handle 1080p mkv files. Large files as well. I have played a movie that was over 10gb in size (Avengers). You can also stream your network with it.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    this solved the steaming issue for me. firstly i had media sharing going to my tv and wifi radio. to stream to the ES app i needed to follow this tutorial, i can now stream to my mobile & tablet.

    How to Access Shared Windows Folders and Stream Videos Over Wi-Fi on Android
    How to Access Shared Windows Folders and Stream Videos Over Wi-Fi on Android

    --------------------------------------------------
    I have seen many snazzy auto signatures describing phones/gadgets etc....
    Communication using the following hardware;
    Legs (to walk to pub) and ears & mouth
  19. #19  

    Cool Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Sounds to me like this issue is a PICNIC error sir. The definition of that error is Problem In Chair Not In Computer. Streaming video is Videos played from another computer or from a website, not from your device. Facial recognition means what it says, it can recognize you face by seeing it with your camera the way it sees you when you use Skype. Some people will use security programs so advanced that the computer/tablet/smartphone will not be of any use to anyone but that owner because the phone must see your face to allow access.
    As for you issue playing AVI's I came across this forum looking for the name of a reliable AVI player for Android devices. I have been in the tech support field for MANY years and forgive my joke about you earlier but clearly your lack of overall experience is your issue. Google your questions and study up on what you want to learn this way you will not have to post questions in forums that are readily available as answers on Google. Give it a shot, I promise it won't hurt.

    ~Transmission ended~
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    I asked for help, not arrogance and insults. You know NOTHING about me or my experience. Nor have you read the thread completely. ALL other devices play media from our PC server (Galaxy Tab, Galaxy phone, laptop, and TV). The problem is only with the ASUS tablet. I know what facial recognition means. I just didn't see where the poster of that item made any mention of whatever app/s in which it was implemented. And just for the record, I have built computers and earned a quit a nice living as a programmer. So maybe now you know a bit more and therefore won't be so quick to make assumptions or pass judgement. But thanks for your thoughts.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2reg View Post
    I asked for help, not arrogance and insults. You know NOTHING about me or my experience. Nor have you read the thread completely. ALL other devices play media from our PC server (Galaxy Tab, Galaxy phone, laptop, and TV). The problem is only with the ASUS tablet. I know what facial recognition means. I just didn't see where the poster of that item made any mention of whatever app/s in which it was implemented. And just for the record, I have built computers and earned a quit a nice living as a programmer. So maybe now you know a bit more and therefore won't be so quick to make assumptions or pass judgement. But thanks for your thoughts.
    No arrogance, insults or assumptions here but if you use BS player it will play avi files. There is something in the encoding that won't allow some avi files to play unless you use the sw decoders, which someone has already said to do. As for streaming from a network post #18 tells you exactly how to do it. I know it works because I used the same article to set it up on my tf700.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Thanks, First off, my previous post was directed at Tee Jay Berrier.
    As it happens, I can stream to my ASUS tablet, but the problem was that AVI format video wouldn't play. Other formats seem fine. Thanks for your information.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Doesn't play AVI movies?

    Hi there, i don't know if you're still struggling with this, but to others reading, this may be of use;

    i was setting up a tablet for my son yesterday (not an asus, just a cheap android thing) and it was driving me mad why most avi's wouldn't play (a few actually did) using MX Player. I downloaded every codec and alternative player out of frustration, until for some reason my mind switched to the memory card. Firstly, i took the card out and put a couple of movies on the hard disc of the tablet - they worked. Then i used a smaller card - they all worked! I basically had a 32gb card in which it just didn't like. So that solved the problem for me. Either your card may be too big or it could be corrupt.

    Worth a try!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2010, 11:48 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 08:59 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 08:59 PM
  5. TROUBLE PLAYING MP4 MOVIES... and MPG and AVI
    By jdnmusic in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions