Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question PDF links from browser - how to change default viewer?

I tried to open two links from my web browser that were PDFs. Both times without prompting they tried to open in my Bluefire Reader app and then I got an access denied message. I downloaded the Adobe viewer app and tried to open the PDFs again with the same result. Finally I opened them on my computer, saved them to Dropbox and then opened them in Adobe viewer that way (I was prompted that time for which app I wanted to use.) I assume at some point I told the browser to open PDFs in Bluefire but when I went to the app info it said there were no defaults set. Any idea on how to get PDFs from the browser to open in Adobe rather than Bluefire?

Thanks!

Default Re: PDF links from browser - how to change default viewer?

Under settings, select "apps" and go to downloaded (or all). Select the app that's being used as the default (bluefire). And selection clear defaults and then the next time you go to open a pdf, and you should be presented with the same choice to select apps. Unless this what you meant you already did in app info. You can try uninstalling bluefire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Bluefire didn't have anything listed as a default so I uninstalled it and when I clicked on the PDF it prompted me for a program and I opened it in Adobe. Then I reinstalled Bluefire and when I tried to open another PDF from the browser, it defaulted to Bluefire again without me telling it to. It's very frustrating. I want Bluefire on my device but I don't want PDFs to keep defaulting to it.

Sounds like bluefire muscles its way into default status without asking permission. That stinks. Don't know how you can deal with that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums