touchscreen problems (particularly while using the onscreen keyboard)

frankles42

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
So I've been using my TF700 since I got after my original TF201 crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago, and it's been fine until about a week ago. It appears that randomly the bottom row of letters in SwiftKey 3 will start to register double presses 100% of the time. I tested it with different keyboards like the stock Asus keyboard and instead of double taps I get simultaneous key presses of adjacent keys (typically the key above).

If I change screen orientations the problem either goes away or shifts to different keys. I just tested it now flipped 180 degrees in landscape mode (ff camera is now on bottom) and it seemed like it worked fine, but it's really annoying to have to remember to hold it in a specific orientation especially since all of the buttons are designed to be used in the opposite orientation. In portrait I still get some of the phantom presses so it's no real help.

I thought I remember seeing a couple of faulty/phantom press threads before buying this thing, but now that I have the problem my Google fu is failing me. Has anyone had similar issues and gotten it resolved? Is it possible I may just have a defective touch screen?

Thanks

frankles42

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
So I just decided to get scientific with it to see if there was any real problem with the touch screen and it looks like there is :(

Really starting to lose faith in these Asus tablets because my TF201 touchscreen really started to fail on me and now the same thing is happening on a TF700? I might try to exchange this one and try out another one unless someone has seen something similar and knows of a fix? I'm going to try to factory reset now as well to see if that has any effect.

The attached images were taken using an app called ScreenTouchTest. I also tried out Multi-Touch Benchmark and when I move to the same area the touch input appears to jump from the top of the area to the bottom, with the number of touch events sometimes staying constant and sometimes briefly getting a +1 during the jump.

ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12