Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help! What to do about this lag?

Hey guys! I've had my Asus tf700t for 3 weeks now. Since I set it all up it has been lagging really bad. I did the latest jelly bean update and then factory reset it. Reinstalled all apps. The tablet is so slow to respond. When in apps and returning to home screen, it always reloads icons. When I'm on the browser it is so slow. Not my Internet connection. Phone is fast. Also no matter what keyboard I use it has such a delay when pressing keys. Also it locks up for a few seconds when in apps. Especially the play store. I read a lot of people are having the same problems. Some are not. Should I return this to the store for an exchange or wait to see if any update comes out? We spent a lot of money. But it's not doing what I expected. Help!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Help! What to do about this lag?

First off, look at what you have going on. If you have a lot of widgets or live wallpaper, your system will slow down .... alot. It is just common sense. If the tablet has to use up resources to constantly reload homescreen widgets, and icons it will take some time, and live wallpaper is always refreshing its self, big resource hog. Next, have a look at what is running on start up. You can get plenty of free apps from the Play store that will manage your start up items. I use Android Assistant, it has some other features that I findfind handy as well. You may be surprised that so many apps start running at start up, really silly in my opinion. Next, change your browser and if possible go to browser settings and get the browser to cache to sd card. Not all browsers have this option, but some do. You don't say which browser you are using, but obviously it is not performing like you would wish, so change it. I use Boat Browser, but browsers are a personal choice. Next step, disable stock apps that you are not using. Many of the ASUS apps that come on your tabet can be disabled if you don't use them. SETTINGS>APPS>slide from right to left until you get the all tab> scroll down and click on an app you wish to disable> click disable. You can re enable them any time by following the same instructions.
    Lastly, after all that try a cold boot. If you have a keyboard do this while attached to the dock. With the power off, hold the volume down button and the power button, do not release until yu get a screen that has 4 icons in the middle, in the top left corner it will say (in tiny white print) cold boot will start in 10 seconds, just leave it to boot up. It will not erase data or change your settings, it just checks to make sure everything is working properly and shakes out the bugs.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for all the help. I will try this and get back to you. Thanks for such a thorough reply. I appreciate. Just so you know it was slow from day one. Before adding any apps. I'm going to disabled those I don't need and see what happens. Thanks.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

So I tried everything. Still same. I decided to do a cold boot. I did what you said to the 4 icons popped up and and let go. It said cold boot will start in 10 seconds. The screen went blank. And Android popped up with the triangle in read it would not do anything how to power off the tablet again to turn it back on

A cold boot shouldn't have locked up on you. You may have a dud. If you can get it replaced I would. Once you get a properly working one they are great toys!!!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    A cold boot shouldn't have locked up on you. You may have a dud. If you can get it replaced I would. Once you get a properly working one they are great toys!!!
    Thanks! It did lock up on cold boot. Twice. Red triangle. It's a dud. Called Comp USA. Going there tomorrow to exchange it for a new one. Thanks for the help!

After the latest firmware updates the infinity has been almost unusable with lag issues... shame really. ..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums