Help With System Settings!

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I know I probably need someone that really knows a lot about this type of stuff to be able to really be able to help me.
I noticed that my development settings are turned off and it says it can cause the device and apps on it to beak or misbehave if I turn it on. Does anyone know anything about this type of stuff? Not really sure if some things on there should be on or not when I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out which Antivirus Protection App I like better between the 3 I have plus having an extra app for pop ups. I will say this about Apple and my iPhone, I don't have to deal with any of this type off stuff but hey it makes it even more like a real but cool laptop that I still have to learn the details of everything, like I have with Windows and Apple.
If you know a lot about this stuff then please try to explain your answer to me in detail on why to do certain things or to not too. Like I said I want to learn this thing inside and out if possible. Thanks!
Oh, and here's a random question.. What does the difference of the tablets serial number matter? I know some people have problems with some that start a certain way and when it's switched out for one of a different one it makes a difference on how it performs. My starts with C9 but I haven't gotten any kind of reply from anyone that has one that starts that way to know if there's small issues with it that maybe I should look out for, etc.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have found that most default settings are fine. I only change things such as my keyboard preference, brightness and so forth. I don't have any anti-virus software, but if you have more than one, they may be conflicting with each other and can cause a lot of issues.Maybe a lot of your answers might be found in the user's manual which you can download from here:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T
Just choose the language that you want from the list. I hope this helps.

toolmanz2

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I know I probably need someone that really knows a lot about this type of stuff to be able to really be able to help me.
I noticed that my development settings are turned off and it says it can cause the device and apps on it to beak or misbehave if I turn it on. Does anyone know anything about this type of stuff? Not really sure if some things on there should be on or not when I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out which Antivirus Protection App I like better between the 3 I have plus having an extra app for pop ups. I will say this about Apple and my iPhone, I don't have to deal with any of this type off stuff but hey it makes it even more like a real but cool laptop that I still have to learn the details of everything, like I have with Windows and Apple.
If you know a lot about this stuff then please try to explain your answer to me in detail on why to do certain things or to not too. Like I said I want to learn this thing inside and out if possible. Thanks!
Oh, and here's a random question.. What does the difference of the tablets serial number matter? I know some people have problems with some that start a certain way and when it's switched out for one of a different one it makes a difference on how it performs. My starts with C9 but I haven't gotten any kind of reply from anyone that has one that starts that way to know if there's small issues with it that maybe I should look out for, etc.

I got TF700 and keyboard about a month ago. First thing I did was root and install CROMI ROM. The difference is unbelievable. The TF700 stock ROM is buggy and really doesn't come close to maximizing it's potential.
Drop on over to the XDA site and you will find lot's of help and it may even convince you to try out CROMI - the very best ROM for the TF700.
The XDA site is one of the best sites for info and support.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1661

Hope this helps.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If she is running 3 antivirus apps, and has no idea what the developer options do, I think rooting her tablet would be a very bad suggestion. As far as learning what the settings do, Google is your friend. Pick one, Google it, read, read, read. Then try it, one setting at a time, if it makes the tablet buggy, undo it.
I agree that 3 antivirus apps are going to conflict, pick one, uninstall the others. I use AVG, it uses little resources, and you set it up and forget about it. What kind of popups are you getting? In a browser? There is no reason for popups, most android browsers have a built in popup blocker setting, look for it. If the popups are in a particular app, get a different app!
If you really want to learn, it is very easy. Like I said, google is your friend.

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I don't have the antivirus apps running at the same time. Pop ups first on my screen then I downloaded an app that blocked them but now I've had a few in the browser.
Talking about ROM, you lost me.. is that like jailbreaking a phone?
I still haven't really gotten an answer on the factory settings being off and if any of them should be on etc
I know other systems but not Droid and hearing different things from different people, I'm so confused.

djm1947

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Development settings off is fine. The only one I have active is force gpu because I saw that recommended on one of the forums.

I also have a C9 serial # but have not had any problems.

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes rooting will void the warranty. And I don't think it's necessary, and definitely not advisable if you're not totally sure of what you're doing. Did you download the user's manual?

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks djm.
No, not yet since I've been busy with my son but I can anyways just read the one that came with my tablet rather than downloading it because it's the save thing right?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The developer options are just that. They are settings used for developers to set parameters for application testing, or hardware developement.

I jave used AVG antivirus on my tablet for a short while, but just uninstalled it. I found it to be a waste.

As for pop ups, they will happen sometimes, as some websites code their pages in such a way as to avoid pop up blockers. They essentially make the pop up look like a legitimate window opening, so if the tablet is allowing new windows, then they will show up.

As far as your serial number, the number is usually a sequential number for the product line just like they do with cars. The numbers usually mean something if decoded properly as in how much memory, screen size, etc. There would also be a string of nombers at the end of the serial that will tell what number the device is in line of production.

For example, you say that the number starts with C9. The serial could be something like C9W10X320000044557. That coukd decode to C9, W10 (10 inch screen), X32 (32GB Storage) and the 0000044557 means that it was number 44557 produced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
OK, I'm not completely stupid. I just didn't understand how some people with C6's had issues but talked to people and found out that no that has C5's had issues so they switched theirs out for that one and had no problems after that. To me that just doesn't make sense on why.
As far as pop ups go, Firefox on my Windows laptop doesn't have any because of the pop blocker I have on there so this shouldn't be any different.
Some apps have Antivirus protection, pop up blockers for both browser and for random ones that used to pop up on my homescreen until I downloaded an app just for that but a lot of the apps that cover everything aren't free and the free ones are hard to pick from when I'm told different things and just want to make sure everything's covered and like I said before the ones I have aren't all running at once.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
C6, C5, C9 - it all should not make a difference how the tablet behaves. Sure - in any production line there are bad days when they turn out products more prone to defects than on others, but that cannot be the cause of your problems.

Developer Options: Leave them alone except for the USB debugging. That mode should be enabled. Everything else in there change at your own risk.

The dead give-away on the probable root of your problem(s) is that you have random popups on your home screen? Pop-ups in your browser are a different thing, but if you have ads pop up on your home screen or in other apps, you installed an app that either does this by design or had a piggy-backed malware, sneak-ware attached to it.
Usually that was a free app from the market.

Android is not Windows. You do not need anti-virus software! The only way to catch malware under Android is: YOU INSTALL IT.
Be careful about free apps, read the comments, check how often the app has been downloaded.

I, in your situation, would do the following:
Uninstall all Anti-Virus apps. They usually cause more problems than they are worth and hog system resources
Download Lookout Mobile Security from the market and let it scan your tablet for malware.
Lookout is good, but not perfect. If that search does not come up with anything, go through your list of apps, think hard about which one you may have downloaded just before the problems started.
Uninstall some or all of them (and before you hit 'uninstall' clear that program's cache and data. The option is on the same page) and see if that helps.

Worst case scenario: Do a factory reset. You will loose all the apps you have installed, basically start from the beginning, but if this adware has buried itself deep into your system that may be your only option.

The big advantage Android has over Apple is the flexibility. You can do so much more under Android! That also means, you can make a lot more mistakes!
One reason Apple is so user friendly is, because it doesn't allow the user to screw up near as much as you can in Android.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
One more thing:
If you really want to learn this tablet inside out, head over to the XDA developer's forum for the TF700. And be prepared to do a lot of reading, a lot of research, because many of the threads there are highly technical. But if you are interested in the Android OS and all it's possibilities - that's the place to be.
I have snooped around there for almost a year to learn about rooting, unlocking your device, installing custom ROMs and such, and it seems to me, most people who really screw up their device, brick it even, tried something that was way over their head because it sounded cool to do, or did no follow the instructions to the letter.

I am now unlocked and running CleanRom Inheritance 3.2.1 by sdbag and could not be happier. CROMI is based on the stock Asus OS with the bloatware removed and a lot of improvements to the original OS.
The improvement in speed, responsiveness, browsing and more is more than impressive!
I feel, now the TF700 runs as it was supposed to be in the first place.
But again: You should do a lot of research before you attempt anything down that path.

But XDA is not only for developers or hackers. There are a lot of people on that forum with way more knowledge than I have, happy to help users with their problems.

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Well I wouldn't even try doing that because I wouldn't want to void my warranty and of course I don't know anything about it. Even though I know my iPhone really well I still had my ex do it at the time because he was more educated when it came to that type of stuff. Now that I know how to do it I'm going to jail break my subs iPod but I do need to learn droid as best I can since I'm buying my son a kindle. Thanks for all your helpful comments, I'm sure I'll need more soon! Lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon