Another sucess story

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Like others, I love my infinity, but lag and bad browser experience killed it. Finally rooted from jb. Wow. What a difference. I urge you all to do this. Using clean rom

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Splitz

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Like others, I love my infinity, but lag and bad browser experience killed it. Finally rooted from jb. Wow. What a difference. I urge you all to do this. Using clean rom

I did it 2 weeks ago due to crappy native browser which was constantly crashing.

CROMI is perfect!

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I like that you have all fixed a problem. But I just was wondering what kind of problem exactly was it? I have been using the stock browser and Firefox, and I haven't had any problems so far. What should I be looking out for? Sometimes there are web pages with a lot of images or video that take a little longer to load, but otherwise so far so good. But I'd like to know what to expect if this happens to me. Thanks.

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Comparing the performance to my galaxy note 2, the browser on the Asus kept stalling, expecially when the page was 3/4 filled in. Also got a "browser not responding" alert every 10 minutes.

The whole tablet is about 40% snappier. No joke.

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
One additional note, I run my tablet in "Performance Mode" and I have no issues with the browser (Stock browser or Firefox). I have tried "Balanced Mode" and that does cause some lag time on many web sites. It makes a BIG difference for me. Just a thought.

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Was on all browsers. On performance mode. Stock, chrome, dolphin, and boat. Now it is fluid. If I didn't own another android tablet /phone, I may not have noticed

a_summers

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree with OP. It's like night and day. I don't regret unlocking it for a second. I waited until just recently to unlock because I was scared about bricking it or not getting updates. Truth is it was pretty simple and the difference is so big I don't think any release from Asus would be as good. These devs are truly great!

I will wait if/until there is a custom rom built on 4.2. My 2?

Cheers.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I like that you have all fixed a problem. But I just was wondering what kind of problem exactly was it? I have been using the stock browser and Firefox, and I haven't had any problems so far. What should I be looking out for? Sometimes there are web pages with a lot of images or video that take a little longer to load, but otherwise so far so good. But I'd like to know what to expect if this happens to me. Thanks.

If you have no problems - lucky you! And no need to loose you warranty! :good:
I went the same way as the others in this thread. Loading of pages in any browser was very slow, scrolling was choppy at best when the pages were still loading, transitions from screen to screen and between apps was slow. The whole thing felt as if running in syrup or something ;)
Now I'm scating on ice! CROMI rocks!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

ChromeWeasel

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone that's done this update mind posting a few links on how to do it? I'd like to make the change this weekend but I'd prefer to use something that's already been tried.

stuka75

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Are App store apps still compatible once you go thru the above process of rooting? HOw does this differ from ics and jb.
Thanks

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
TBolt wrote up a pretty concise guide here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/as...nity-700/251105-new-firmware-10-4-4-25-a.html
The link to his Google doc is in post 50.
Just to be clear: This is not an update to your excisting rom. It's a replacement, and the first step (unlocking your bootloader) voids your warranty and is not reversible.
I seem to remember that TBolt did not mention one of the prerequisites for using this method which is: make sure you have the latest drivers for your tablet installed on your computer. Otherwise the ADB tool you will use to push the recovery will not work.
Also, since he wrote it the train moved on and if you want to go for CROMI, it is now on version 3.4.4. But you have to flash 3.4.1 first and then flash 3.4.4 because 3.4.4 is a patch to 3.4.1.
If you want to it this weekend plan on doing nothing but reading for Saturday :) and head over to the XDA Developer forum and there to the CROMI threads. Lots of good info there.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Are App store apps still compatible once you go thru the above process of rooting? HOw does this differ from ics and jb.
Thanks

Yes! CROMI is based on the stock Asus rom. Basically the dev, sbdags, took the stock rom apart and improved the parts Asus screwed up or neglected. The latest versions CROMI 3.2.1 - 3.4.4 are based on JB 4.1. If you want to wait a few weeks, Asus may soon release JB 4.2 for the TF700 (they did release it for the 300 already) and it won't be long before sbdags polishes that release for us O:)

If you are coming from the stock rom you should not have any problems with apps you have installed - everything, including the dock, works perfectly for me. My impression is, the more "tricked out" your tablet is before you flash a custom rom, the likelier it is that you experience problems. The single hickup I had was with Gmail and a simple clearing of it's cache solved it.

And guys/girls: If you use sbdags rom and love it (hard to imagine you would not) donate to the dev!!! These guys are doing an incredible job improving our tablets with their work for free. It's just fair to reward them - and to encourage them to keep doing it :-$

Last edited: