Jb 4.2 update - do not touch if you unlocked your device!!!

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Scores of TF300 owners on an unlocked bootloader are bricking their tablets because they flash this 4.2. update like any other or a custom ROM.

Do not update to 4.2. if you unlocked your device! It is almost assured that you will permanently brick your tablet!!
Asus has done something to the bootloader in 4.2. and even the crack devs on XDA haven't figured out yet what to do about it!

Read first - flash later!!!!
Head to the forums BEFORE you update and not only when it's too late!
Pass this on, people! Maybe we can avoid the massacre that's happening in the TF300 community now! :'(

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Ouch, so if they were unlocked, best way to protect themselves would have been with a custom rom, I assume, right?

I know that is the way I can protect myself from Verizon updates to the OS on my Thunderbolt.
If I were only rooted with stock rom, I'd get the update pushed to my phone, however if I were rooted AND running a custom rom, then I'd be protected from anything being pushed and possibly bricking my device, is that same scenario on our 700s?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ouch, so if they were unlocked, best way to protect themselves would have been with a custom rom, I assume, right?

I know that is the way I can protect myself from Verizon updates to the OS on my Thunderbolt.
If I were only rooted with stock rom, I'd get the update pushed to my phone, however if I were rooted AND running a custom rom, then I'd be protected from anything being pushed and possibly bricking my device, is that same scenario on our 700s?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Yes, as soon as you unlock the bootloader, you are "safe'' from push updates from Asus.
But most times when a new update is released, there is this stampede to get it first... Too many people just download it, and flash without bothering to check if it is compatible with their current setup.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

McRoth

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I ended up installing the update last night and so far it is good. Didn't play with it much after though. I used voodoo to temp unroot first.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay