4.2 update rolling out!

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
First thing I noticed is the font has changed on everything and things look smoother and it runs really well.
Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

dillifer92

May 24, 2012
Visit site
- - - Updated - - -

How's it running so far?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it because I was in class when it downloaded/installed, but so far it seems to run really well. I haven't had a single lag issue and everything seems a to run really fluidly. One thing that confuses me is that the update didn't change the layout of the on-screen buttons or notification tray at all. I looked around in the settings, too, and I can't seem to find an option to manually change the layout like you can on the TF300.

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
- - - Updated - - -

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it because I was in class when it downloaded/installed, but so far it seems to run really well. I haven't had a single lag issue and everything seems a to run really fluidly. One thing that confuses me is that the update didn't change the layout of the on-screen buttons or notification tray at all. I looked around in the settings, too, and I can't seem to find an option to manually change the layout like you can on the TF300.

Cool, can't wait to see if an update is waiting for me when I get home.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just installed the update and I have to say, performance is awesome!!! I have not experienced any lag except when an app is "installing" after downloading.

Somethings I have noticed are:

1) There is now a camcorder icon and a camera icon. Even though you can switch to either one within the app, I guess for my quicker access to either or, there is now a separate icon for them.

2) Parental Lock app is installed now. I haven't opened it up and dinked around with it since I'm a parent, and I don't want to lock myself out of my own tablet.

3) Multitask list is different. Instead of it being vertical, it is now horizontal across the entire screen. I don't understand why it changed but just another thing to get accustomed to.

4) Multiple accounts. I haven't dinked with this either since this is MY tablet and none shall use it besides me!!

5) Fonts look better. Hard to explain but it just does.

That's about all that I have noticed thus far. But the biggest thing for me was the performance increase. On 4.1, even with Performance Mode turned on, I would experience lag quite frequently making me wonder if my Infinity truly had a Tegra 3 powering this thing. But so far, it's been smooth as butter. Very happy. Hopefully, it remains this way.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Great to hear less lag
Let's hope it stays that way

The lag I hate most is when in play store updating apps, tablet's performance can feel like syrup running thru our quad core

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Just put clean rom on and tablet is near perfect. Reluctant to go back and add 4.2.

Can someone comment on the browser. It was badly broken and leggy in 4.1 with many 'not reapondings' and many slow downs after page 3/4 loaded this was all fixed with clean rom btw

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ChromeWeasel

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I applied the update last night. Before the update, I was having terrible lag using Chrome. The default browser was not as bad, but still lousy. Lots of hanging and 'wait or close' popups. Really intolerable. I was going to go to cleanROM last month, but I thought I'd wait it out to see what ASUS came up with.

After the update last night the performance seemed fine. I didnt get any 'wait or close' popups, and didnt notice any flashing red hangup (developer setting) at all. Seems very tolerable from last night's browsing experience. At this point I don't think a cleanROM install will be needed.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah updated yesterday myself.
Looking the new stuff, font, lockscreen add on etc. Lag seems less. Need more time with it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Installed the update yesterday but haven't had a lot of time to check it out. I did notice the option for "Restart" along with the "Power off" and "Airplane mode" now.

BeverageNinja

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I saw the notification in my task bar late last night that there was an update for my tablet. I selected it and all was good until the tablet rebooted and I got a message saying that the update failed. I have a stock TF700T, no custom roms or unlocked boot loader. No matter how many time I click the "Check for Update" button in the Settings it tells me I'm up to date, which I'm not. What do I do? Will the update eventually appear again or do I need to somehow download the file and do this manually?

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Did the update, I like that I can set the wife up with her own acct so she can use mine when her Galaxy is dead, her Galaxy doesn't show the update available yet but when she gets it, I'll be getting an acct set up for me ;-)

psprout

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Installed yesterday - seems stable enough but the stock browser is still slow so I've opted for dolphin with jetpack. I had hoped wifi display would be enabled as the tegra 3 and JB 4.2 support it but asus tell me it's been removed from this update :(

frankles42

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I really hate the new multitasking setup... it's completely jarring compared to having a list of your apps overlayed over whatever you had open before. Is there any way I can go back to the old way or would that involve flashing a new rom?

also, I'm still having a decent amount of lag, particularly whenever I open my swiftkey keyboard from the Chrome address bar. Is this just a function of swiftkey + chrome or would flashing a leaner rom help this too?

mowpar

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I too have the tapping keyboard, since the update. Thought that i would adjust, but it still is distracting. Is there a way to silence the keyboard tap, tap, tap? Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08