Battery after update

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed after the update that my battery life while I have the tablet docked and closed has gone down drastically! I used to be able to leave it on and connected to wifi with no power savers on and after 2 days still have both batteries at over half and now in 24 hours my dock will completely die and tablet will be 50-70 with no usage. Any ideas or has anyone else noticed reduced battery?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed after the update that my battery life while I have the tablet docked and closed has gone down drastically! I used to be able to leave it on and connected to wifi with no power savers on and after 2 days still have both batteries at over half and now in 24 hours my dock will completely die and tablet will be 50-70 with no usage. Any ideas or has anyone else noticed reduced battery?

I've noticed similar issues with mine. It's most likely a bug that they will sort out. My personal solution is to only dock the tablet if I need the keyboard. If the tablet is not docked, I still have stellar battery life.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Actually, I have looked into this a little more and according to Settings > Battery Google Maps is using like 80% of my battery. Even when I hardly used it.
Unfortunately, the only solution for this seems to be to disable Maps completely! That sucks!
If anybody finds a better solution, please let me know.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
i decided to try disabling my maps as i dont use it and found that my maps was already disabled. this morning both of my batteries were at 100% and when i opened up my tab after no use at all today my dock is dead and the tab itself is at 38%. there must be something realy wrong with the update so im hoping they fix it soon, my camera hasnt been working properly either.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
i decided to try disabling my maps as i dont use it and found that my maps was already disabled. this morning both of my batteries were at 100% and when i opened up my tab after no use at all today my dock is dead and the tab itself is at 38%. there must be something realy wrong with the update so im hoping they fix it soon, my camera hasnt been working properly either.

Do you have wifi enabled during sleep?

In settings>battery, what is showing eating most of batt?

Any new apps downloaded? Could be not 100% compatible

Any app like weather trying to fetch weather data every 15 min?

Any live wallpaper active? Some are not optimized to conserve battery

Don't mean to overload you with all these questions Sneakers, just trying to help diagnose

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

MARQUISMARC

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem, I could go a week or more without charging and now the battery wont last a day. I have to now manually turn the wi-fi on and off to try to preserve the battery, and yes it is set to turn off wi-fi off during sleep.

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
on this occasion i did not have the wifi on, i did have it on before and noticed the battery drain so i turned it off and charged it to 100 to see if there was a difference.

the trouble i have with checking the battery settings is that my dock will charge the tablet at random hours, so that i cannot tell how long it has actually been on, so for instance if i had the wifi on all day, the dock will kick in at some point and instead of showing the 12+ hours it has been awake, it will show wifi was on for lets say 4 hours.

no new apps downloaded, and i actually keep very few apps on there to begin with, MAYBE 5 games, the rest are things like netflix, vudu, reddit, so on and there's MAYBE 10 or so of those.

weather and email are both set to manual and i hardly every check them on the tablet as its easier to use my phone.

ive never used live wallpapers because i know they interfere with battery life, and i dont change my wall papers very often either.

im really hoping there is an update soon, because battery life has become terrible, i had been holding back on update but figured enough time had passed and now regret it immensely. not to mention the fact that my camera hasnt worked since the update and will not let me reinstall the camera firmware so it doesnt look like it will work at all until another update is released.

my only consolation is that Asus is very good with their updates so im sure there will be something coming up soon, thank god it wasnt a samsung or htc tablet as i would have been better off selling it and buying a new one.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Check to see if Google Now is activated. It's a battery hog. Also check the Maps tracking/update options. They too drain battery like mad.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
on this occasion i did not have the wifi on, i did have it on before and noticed the battery drain so i turned it off and charged it to 100 to see if there was a difference.

the trouble i have with checking the battery settings is that my dock will charge the tablet at random hours, so that i cannot tell how long it has actually been on, so for instance if i had the wifi on all day, the dock will kick in at some point and instead of showing the 12+ hours it has been awake, it will show wifi was on for lets say 4 hours.

no new apps downloaded, and i actually keep very few apps on there to begin with, MAYBE 5 games, the rest are things like netflix, vudu, reddit, so on and there's MAYBE 10 or so of those.

weather and email are both set to manual and i hardly every check them on the tablet as its easier to use my phone.

ive never used live wallpapers because i know they interfere with battery life, and i dont change my wall papers very often either.

im really hoping there is an update soon, because battery life has become terrible, i had been holding back on update but figured enough time had passed and now regret it immensely. not to mention the fact that my camera hasnt worked since the update and will not let me reinstall the camera firmware so it doesnt look like it will work at all until another update is released.

my only consolation is that Asus is very good with their updates so im sure there will be something coming up soon, thank god it wasnt a samsung or htc tablet as i would have been better off selling it and buying a new one.

Thanks for the input sneakers. Looks like we have a similar setup, though share different experiences.
I'm not 100% happy with my tab, when I hear of a newer, more polished infinity, I'll likely try and sell too to get what we thought we were getting.
I'm thinking of factory resetting, have you tried that too? Could possibly help with your camera firmware.

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
google now i know for sure is activated, ill try turning it off and seeing if that helps, maps is disabled already and my gps is off also, ill try anything that might help at this point though.

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
ive honestly been considering a factory reset as well, ive just been holding off because i have alot of comics and movies on it that id have to move and put back on, as well as the apps id have to redownload and set up again, but if push comes to shove ill have to do a factory reset.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm in same boat. Need to dump media onto pc.
As for apps, try Carbon, developed by koush, who also made clockworkmod. He made an app you can backup your apps with that also backs up data in the app.
You can then zip up the backup and dump on pc too.
Check out Carbon in play store.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
does that require root? im stock right now

Most important thing I forgot to mention: does Not require root! :-D

I wanted to mention this, as I've used it and made a zip of all my apps on tablet and dumped on hard drive.

Recommended: Watch the video koush posted in the play store, in the screen shots section of the app.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Most important thing I forgot to mention: does Not require root! :-D

I wanted to mention this, as I've used it and made a zip of all my apps on tablet and dumped on hard drive.

Recommended: Watch the video koush posted in the play store, in the screen shots section of the app.

You know, I think you guys are correct. I have read a few posts on the Transformer Forums where a clean install (wiping the internal SD and re-flashing the rom) has really made a difference for people with battery problems.

Instructions for manually flashing the latest Asus firmware can be found here:
http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...irmware-tf700-tf300-tf101-possibly-tf201.html
Tylor did a pretty good job with his guide.

I know, copying all your data to some external medium sounds like a pain, but t's really not that bad.
One way to go would be to use Dropbox in conjunction with Dropsync to get files off your tablet without having to copy them manually. Very good way to backup your files in the future too, so maybe worthwhile to invest the effort in setting them up.
Large media files I would always move manually using a micro or SD card.
Look at it as a chance to do some spring cleaning! It'll give you a squeaky clean and hopefully better working tablet.

One last thought: I had better results when rebuilding my system when I allowed Google to restore my apps from the Play Store and only restored app data from my backups. Google will always install the latest version of an app. You're backup may be outdated and causing problems that are hard to track down.
Does koush's app give you a choice of restoring data only?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
im going to be trying that app to backup my information, i just wanted to let everyone know that even with airplane turned on my battery drain is the same. i thought maybe the wifi wasnt turning off even though it was unchecked and the indicatore didnt show it on, so i put airplane mode on and let it sit for a day or so, and i still have the same horrible battery life, its definitely something else.

the good news is the TF300 just got an update with bug fixes so im hopeful we'll get one too, but im honestly thinking this might be my last attempt at making my tablet the way it was. ill report back with any findings.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
im going to be trying that app to backup my information, i just wanted to let everyone know that even with airplane turned on my battery drain is the same. i thought maybe the wifi wasnt turning off even though it was unchecked and the indicatore didnt show it on, so i put airplane mode on and let it sit for a day or so, and i still have the same horrible battery life, its definitely something else.

the good news is the TF300 just got an update with bug fixes so im hopeful we'll get one too, but im honestly thinking this might be my last attempt at making my tablet the way it was. ill report back with any findings.

Sorry to hear it.
I would bet my lunch that you have app and/or legacy conflicts from 4.1 (yes - I admit, I'm a light eater :D)
So at this point I see several options for you:
a) do a factory reset, re-install apps 2 or 3 at a time and monitor battery performance
b) downgrade to 4.1 which involves nothing more than downloading the firmware from Asus and manually installing it
c) wait for the 4.2.2 update and hope for the best (my least favorite option)
d) unlock, root and install CROMI-X, and I can almost guarantee you that this option will make you very, very happy

I know, it seems like a big, scary step if you know nothing about the process. But I can assure you, the steps involved have been getting easier and easier and at this point it is not a big deal anymore.
The difference in performance of your tablet however is a very big deal! A very, very big deal!
This tablet running CROMI-X runs circles around the iPad, the Galaxy - I would bet: anything on the market.

Slight digression:
I recently got the last official Motorola update on my Droid phone and figured, ok, now it's time to try a few custom roms.
To make a long story short: I am back on the stock Motorola rom and running these custom roms made me appreciate CROMI even more. Because it just works.
On any of custom roms for the Droid either the auto-rotation or the bluetooth or the wifi or the camera or.... something else would not work.
On CROMI all the drivers for the essential hardware are stock Asus. The only things tweaked are software/kernel/framework issues. And how they make this thing fly.....
On top of it the support for this rom is unsurpassed. sbdags, the developer, seems to take it personally if something does not work on his roms and he doesn't rest until he's figured out why and if it can be solved.

I know, it sounds as if I get paid for this fluff piece :cool:
But actually, I keep donating to the dev with each new release, because I'm just so incredibly grateful for his work.
Without him (and his support group), I probably would have given up on this tab. And it's just perfect for me! There's nothing with this kind of dock = functionality out there.
So before you sell this tab, read the forums for the Galaxy S, the iPad, the Nexus and you'll find: They have their issues too!
The TF700 with CROMI-X however is close to perfect IMO.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Sneakersislife

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
ive read tons about cromi on the xda forums, it sounded like a dream come true when i first heard of it, but ive never flashed a rom, im not unlocked, and i have no idea what half the stuff in the process even means. i watched the video a user on xda posted and figured i could follow along, but i couldnt get it, id rather not risk bricking it and leaving it unusable.

as for reflashing android 4.1 id love to do that, i think maybe ill look at xda and see if i can find any tutorials as im not sure if it requires root which i dont have.