Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Howeyr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What a waste of monet this turned out to be

I bought the tablet, then the keyboard, and a case. I bought extra memory cards for the tablet (micro SD) and the keyboard (SD), but at least I can use those in other devices.
    So, why do I feel that nearly $800 invested is a waste? Well, it's nearly useless for browsing the web, sloooooooooooooooooooow if it gets to a page at all. Speaker is awful. Only one, and it's in back (! Really Asus??? why?) and hardly loud enough to hear. No access for phone calls. GPS works sometimes but not others. Camera app absolutely sucks. Photos are not sharp at all. The rear facing camera can't be focused when using Skype (this may be a Skype issue and not the tablet) but the camera often doesn't focus well anyway using the camera app. Other apps often act odd, and do unexpected things, or suddenly one day, and app will do something that it's never done before. If I close it and reopen, it won't repeat the same quirk. And the same goes for the OS (JellyBean - don't recall the version but I updated only two days ago and it's the latest). The OS just does things sometimes, unknown and previously unseen things. For example, last week, in the task manager box, one "task" (it wasn't any real task that I have EVER seen on my tablet) appeared, and it said something about "Location lock" and there was a padlock icon on it, and I could NOT end it. Another thing about the "One Touch Clean" bar at the bottom of the task manager box. It doesn't do anything. I have to touch the "X" at each task to end them. But then a bunch of them come back anyway, and I don't even know what half of them are doing. If I could sell this thing I would, but I would feel bad taking money and sticking somebody with this thing. It simply is NOT a reliable device, doing all sorts of odd things when it wants to, no explanation or reason, and then the next time it's something different, and the first weird thing never happens again. And often it just stops responding at all. Even though the keyboard is a great idea, and the whole things looks great, especially when you close down the keyboard "lid", it just doesn't work well as a system. You can't really use it anything like a real computer because the Android OS isn't very stable. If you spend a long time creating a document with the very nice keyboard, odds are that it will be lost, or the app will freeze and you have to reboot so there goes all your work. Or else you save it and later go back to find it and it's not there. Where did it go? It was there before..........but quirky Android, or this tablet, decided that it could be deleted. It goes on and on what things this tablet/OS does that make it pretty much useless. Now I know why people like iPads or Surface tablets.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: What a waste of monet this turned out to be

It's the tablet. I was so excited at the prospect of the TF700T. ...but after 5 attempts I couldn't get one with out dead pixels so I I just gave up. Asus needs to improve their quality control. ...and the tablet needs no less than 2GB of RAM IMO. Android, itself is great and quite powerful, its the TF700T that's messing up your experience with it.
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

On the subject of quality control, I might suggest that part of the QC problem is the buyer as well. I'm sure you thought you did your homework and made a good choice but did you really. There are reviews (most useless) and then there are actual user comments and most importantly, there is you going and putting hands on. I made that mistake when the original Galaxy S2 came out. I bought sight unseen and made a huge mistake. From then on, I never bought without doing my due diligence. I read and read and formulated my questions and needs. I then went and put hands on to see if it was really what I thought. Sometimes yes, most of the time no.

Not meaning to throw rocks but I bet you do your research in more detail next time.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well, let me say this about research. You won't find anyone who does more research before buying than I do. I even download and read users manuals, if available, because that way you REALLY get to know exactly what can (and can't) be done, which button does what, etc. Having said that, on paper, the Infinity TF700T looks great. When I went to the store and tried one for a while, I was (and still am) impressed by the display. Unlike Haalcyon, I've had no problem with dead pixels, nor actually any physical defects in the tablet. I think it looks beautiful, and I love the way the keyboard attaches and how nicely the whole thing closes to look like a notebook computer. I love that you can add memory to both the tablet itself as well as the keyboard/dock, and also the fact that there's another battery in the dock. All of these are some reasons I bought it. And, to be sure, out of the box it seemed to work well. But it seems that after a while, a little quirk appeared, and one of those that you just say "Huh?......OK, what was that?" but then it's gone and it seems OK. Until the next time, only then it's a different little quirk. Then these quirks become a bit more frequent. And then you notice that it's seemingly a little buggy or dotty. Meanwhile, you realize that some things don't work as they did before. Maybe some upgrades actually degrade the performance of things like the camera and so forth.

So this is something that seemed to develop a little at a time, one thing and then another, seldom repeating exactly the same problem, but overall making the tablet no pleasure to use. Other than playing a card game or similar, I just can't seem to trust (or now, even EXPECT) that it will work. Sometimes it streams video and music OK, other times it just won't. And it's definitely the tablet, because ALL of my other devices stream the same videos or music with no problems. It's just a shame, because physically it looks great, and the specs make it seem like it should work a lot better than it actually does, at least after it's been in use for a few months.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The thing that surprised me so much is that Asus makes great motherboards and other computer products. I was just a bit confounded as to why I was having the quality issues I saw. More recently, I've tried 3 '13 Nexus 7s and they've all been buggy with touchscreen issues and quirky performance. I won't say more than just to say my experiences with Asus tablets has been disappointing.
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

I agree with bill2reg on this one. I did all the research, read the reviews and played with the actual product at the store. Seemed to be just what I needed and it would be if it worked. But it freezes, and hangs up. It won't come on......it won't go off. Sometimes it will change.....sometimes it won't. I personally have had it and I'm looking at buying the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. Just can't figure out what to do with a "perfectly good" tablet, keyboard, cover etc. I really expected more from Asus than this!
    Thanked by:
    rhauer 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Wolfee57, it seems that you, like me, are finding this inconsistent behavior to be the real problem too. If there were ONE or even a few problems, then I could deal with it. Perhaps see if there is a solution, or figure a way around it, or just uninstall a bad app, etc. But it's not like that. It's never knowing how or IF it will work today the same way as it did yesterday. I had a weird "app" running in task manager the other day, something about "location linked" or "locked" and there was a padlock icon on the app name in the list in the task manager box. I had no idea what this might be, where it came from or why it was there. I shut down the tablet and restarted it, but it was still there. I shut down again and waited for 15 minutes, turned it back on and it was still there. I don't know if it was interfering with the tablet's performance or not, but I just didn't feel that it belonged there. The next day, it was gone. What was it? Where did it come from? Why did it go away? Where did it go? Will it come back? All these questions and these kinds of things that just seem to happen whenever they want to make it undependable and frustrating when you want to use the tablet but instead get caught up in trying to get past some new quirk.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Asus just needs to do a better job. They need to pay more attention do the user experience and quality control.
    Live long and prosper.

I felt the same way about a month ago. The thing did OK for a while but then started getting real glitchy, just not performing well. Then I used some forums on here and XDA to flash CROMI-X and I'm loving this thing now. There may be better tablets out there for the money, but with a more streamlined ROM, this one really does amazing work.

Posted via Android Central App
    TBolt likes this.