SD Card Won't Mount in Dock

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm having difficulty getting my SD card to mount in the dock of my TF700T. When I insert the card into the dock the popup will appear in the bottom right corner of my screen, "External Storage Inserted SD". But it will go away in under a second and the card is not mounted.

I've tried going into settings and then storage and clicking on Mount External Storage but the same thing happens. The popup will appear in the bottom right for a second and disappear without the card actually mounting.

If I physically remove the card and re-insert it enough times it will eventually mount. By enough times I mean one or two DOZEN times.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The card is a 32gb Unirex, class 10. It reads in my laptop without any issues.

Thanks!

Posted using my Asus TF700T tablet via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How old is the card? If it's fairly old, it might be starting to fail. SD cards have a finite number of read-write cycles, so they don't last forever.

You might want to backup the data currently on the SD card, then reformat it in your computer, then put the data back on and try it again. Also, have you tried any other microSD cards? If they have problems as well, then there may be a problem with the microSD slot.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It may be a format issue. PC can read almost any for at and not have a problem, where Android might.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
How old is the card? If it's fairly old, it might be starting to fail. SD cards have a finite number of read-write cycles, so they don't last forever.

You might want to backup the data currently on the SD card, then reformat it in your computer, then put the data back on and try it again. Also, have you tried any other microSD cards? If they have problems as well, then there may be a problem with the microSD slot.

The card is only a year old at the most. I have only changed the material on it maybe 10 times at most.

It's the only SD card I have so I haven't tried any others yet. The microSD slot in the tablet itself seems to be working properly.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z10 via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The microSD slot in the tablet itself seems to be working properly.

But how can you tell? You're saying that it takes multiple insertions and removals before it reads--that doesn't sound normal to me. It's possible that the reader itself might be faulty, or perhaps the contacts are dirty--it's difficult to tell just by looking. That's why testing another microSD card would be really helpful to troubleshoot. They're pretty cheap these days--you can get an 8 or 16 GB card for under $10. It never hurts to have a spare SD card lying around anyway.

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
But how can you tell? You're saying that it takes multiple insertions and removals before it reads--that doesn't sound normal to me. It's possible that the reader itself might be faulty, or perhaps the contacts are dirty--it's difficult to tell just by looking. That's why testing another microSD card would be really helpful to troubleshoot. They're pretty cheap these days--you can get an 8 or 16 GB card for under $10. It never hurts to have a spare SD card lying around anyway.

It is the SD port in the dock that is giving the problem, not the microSD port in the tablet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It is the SD port in the dock that is giving the problem, not the microSD port in the tablet.

Ohhhhh, I get it. Still, it's possible that the dock's SD card slot is faulty, or perhaps there's some debris in there. Trying a different SD card is still a valid test, because if the other SD card has trouble being read, then I'd focus on the card slot. And the fullsize SD card slot on the dock is more amenable to cleaning, in case there's some debris in there--you could try using a can of compressed air and blowing it out.

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Ohhhhh, I get it. Still, it's possible that the dock's SD card slot is faulty, or perhaps there's some debris in there. Trying a different SD card is still a valid test, because if the other SD card has trouble being read, then I'd focus on the card slot. And the fullsize SD card slot on the dock is more amenable to cleaning, in case there's some debris in there--you could try using a can of compressed air and blowing it out.

I'll grab another SD card and see what happens. My suspicion is that it is the dock. This is my third dock. First two replaced under warranty.

Is there a special way the card needs to be formated? Somebody else mentioned that it did, didn't say what that format was?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll grab another SD card and see what happens. My suspicion is that it is the dock. This is my third dock. First two replaced under warranty.

Is there a special way the card needs to be formated? Somebody else mentioned that it did, didn't say what that format was?

Sorry, just caught up.
I would back up everything off the card by a copy/paste to your PC and either reformat to NTFS, or allow Android to format it for you.