Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ASUS Transformer Pad TF701 : The next generation featuring Tegra 4 CPU !

Will you be getting one and why? Will it be based on ASUS Transformer Pads of the past or will it be to check out the new Tegra 4 CPU?

You can read more about the specs below and discuss...

ASUS announces New Fonepads, Transformer Pad 701,Transformer Book and new MeMO pads | Android Central
    Thanks to AC blog
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    7,809 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: ASUS Transformer Pad TF701 : The next generation featuring Tegra 4 CPU !

That's going to be a good device. Unfortunately, I'm set in the tablet and mobile pc department, so it's very unlikely I'll be getting one. This would be something to consider should I be in the market for a device such as this.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: ASUS Transformer Pad TF701 : The next generation featuring Tegra 4 CPU !

I'll take one. The TF-7xx series and Android are getting to the point where I can stop dragging my laptop everywhere.

Global Posts
    6,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I'd heard about this back in the Spring and thought it would have been here by now. What is Asus waiting for?! However, now I have my Sony Xperia Tablet Z (to hold me over) and I'm pretty sure the '14 Note 10.1 will be my next big screen. Asus, it has taken you just too long.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE
    Live long and prosper.

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,051 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm not sure what's taking so long, but after having a TF Prime I definitely want this. Hopefully the lengthy amount of time between announcement and release mean it's going to be the best "large" tablet availability. Tegra 4, high-res screen, good build quality, and a pretty good keyboard.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

ROM
    Stock HTC

Or it could mean it has serious QC issues. They've had to announce it twice. Their initial beginning of fall release didn't pan out. Their official 21st Oct UK release didn't happen either. The fact that Asus is horrible at service [let's face it, you either get a working unit and you're the happiest person on earth with stellar hardware or your unit is faulty and might as well just put it aside, don't run to Asus for help], horrible at PR, horrible at responding to costumers and any query.
    I think something went terribly wrong with the TF701T

I have to agree. Never known a company continually screw up the launch of so many of their own products.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

The Note 10.1 2014 is very, very tempting, and the only reason I haven't ordered it is that I'm holding out for an announcement for the rumored 12.2" Note and the new Transformer to replace my Prime. Having owned the Note 2 and the Prime, I find the keyboard dock is way more useful than the SPen. But the new Note 10.1 is only 1.2lbs, and I would want the new Transformer to be close or I'm heading for the Note.

I'm going to revive this thread to ask those who have this tablet if it is worth it. The specs look fantastic and my Transformer Prime is just not cutting it anymore. I'm sick and tired of the lag and stutter. TigerDirect has the TF701 discounted at $389 right now. I was waiting for the new Nexus 10 but things have been so quiet about it that I'm not sure if there is going to be one. The 701 looks like it is an excellent tablet and Asus keeps their tablet very close to stock Android. So, give me your opinions!
    I choose Android...it's only logical.

I am also wondering about this one. I had the 700 but broke the screen and the part has been on backorder for months. I'm tired of waiting and want a new tablet but hesitate to take the plunge on this one.

ROM
    CROMi-X

I have had the TF700 for a year and it's only usable when custom ROM'd IMO.
    I got the TF701 a couple of weeks ago and the first one was a lemon - the digitizer went out after just 5 days.
    Got the replacement a few days ago and I love it! The TF701 is lightning fast out of the box! No lags, no stutter, instant switching between open apps - a pleasure to use.
    The only reason I can come up with to unlock it is that I would like to change DPI and generally have more control over it.
    I have been holding back on buying the dock though. Horrible QC issues with those, the first couple of generations had a very wobbly tablet/dock connection, moving the screen would disconnect the dock etc.
    It's gotten a little quieter around that issue on XDA, so I am hoping that the latest docks have been fixed. If you buy one, make sure it's November 13 or later (I'm waiting for December or January docks).
    So in general: This tablet is a winner, but make sure you buy it somewhere with good return/exchange policy. I also got a Squaretrade warranty for it

Thanks for the feedback berndlb!
    I choose Android...it's only logical.

Quote Originally Posted by berndlb View Post
    I have had the TF700 for a year and it's only usable when custom ROM'd IMO.
    I got the TF701 a couple of weeks ago and the first one was a lemon - the digitizer went out after just 5 days.
    Got the replacement a few days ago and I love it! The TF701 is lightning fast out of the box! No lags, no stutter, instant switching between open apps - a pleasure to use.
    The only reason I can come up with to unlock it is that I would like to change DPI and generally have more control over it.
    I have been holding back on buying the dock though. Horrible QC issues with those, the first couple of generations had a very wobbly tablet/dock connection, moving the screen would disconnect the dock etc.
    It's gotten a little quieter around that issue on XDA, so I am hoping that the latest docks have been fixed. If you buy one, make sure it's November 13 or later (I'm waiting for December or January docks).
    So in general: This tablet is a winner, but make sure you buy it somewhere with good return/exchange policy. I also got a Squaretrade warranty for it
    I broke the screen on my TF700 and the freaking part has been on "back order" for over 4 months now. You have to get the proper one and there are maybe 3 different ones for this model. What a crock. I'm ready to give up and buy another tablet and have been seriously considering the TF701. I'm glad to see a positive review. There are a lot of negative reviews out there but they seem to mostly relate to the dock and I don't intend to buy one so that really isn't a consideration for me. I just don't want to end up with a dud after waiting this long. The TF700 was pretty laggy and I'm happy to hear the extra RAM in the TF701 seems to have resolved that issue. I was worried that the extra screen resolution might negate the gain from the extra RAM.