1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How are you charging on the road?

Ive tried using my cell phone car charger with a spare TF701 USB cable/Charging cord but it is like a trickle charge. I did some research and found that if you use a car charger that puts out 5V 2.1A of power it will only charge the tab at less than 1 amp. The problem seems to be that unless pins 2 and 3 are shorted on the usb connector in the car charger it wont use the higher amperage charge. Seems that these devices sense if those pins are shorted and will go into ac charge mode if they are meaning that they think they are plugged into the wall charger.

I ordered a 2.1 amp model car charger and will short out those pins to see if in fact this is true. Charger should be here today.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: How are you charging on the road?

Well doesn't work. I guess it needs to see the Asus wall wort. Maybe something to do with the 15v vs. 5v in the wall wort.

Guess for now i'll use my converter in my truck.

Have you found a resolution to your problem yet? My TF701T just arrived yesterday and I need to find a good travel charger and also locate a spare charging cable. I'm pretty annoyed with ASUS for not just using the same cable that my broken TF700T used.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The problem is that using a cigg lighter adapter for a USB charger it is 5V. While using this and running the GPS in the 701 it doesn't keep up. What works is purchasing a extra wall wort and charging cable from ASUS. Purchase a 12v to 115v converter and run the Asus charger off the converter. Doesn't need to be a large converter but that will do the trick.

You can purchase the cable directly from ASUS s well as an extra wall wort / cable combo. I think it's under t.here restore.