Terrible Battery Drain on the ASUS Transformer Pad TF701

jorislap

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I there,

same problem for me. As soon as I got the systen update it started to do the same thing as you.
I also noticed the problem with the google play service.

I Hope asus do something about it very soon, cause it is very frustrating.

Good luck to us all !

OOOPS........... I tought I had the latest version but realized after reading your updates on the subjects that it was not the case.
I'm doing it as i write this and hope it solves my problem too.

Happy new year everybody

Ga77a

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi All

I can confirm that my TF701T updated to the following software versions:

Kernel version : 3.4.66-ge79544a
Build number : KOT49H.US_epad-11.4.1.29-20141218
Android version : 4.4.2

Left the tablet on for 24 hours after charging full. Exactly the same conditions as previously tested. The tablet now retains a charge of 97% after 22 hours, where previously it was depleted within 8 hours. It seems ASUS has fixed whatever bug was causing some Android OS function to loop (best theory). I have not tested with the keyboard dock attachment as yet. I'll update the post as soon as i have.

I am quite disappointed in Asus as i have been experiencing this problem for 6 months, having only bough the tablet in Jan last year in Singapore. Prior to that i had a huge problem with the tablet becoming corrupt and randomly shutting down. Factory reset was required 4 or 5 times in the first 6 months of use. Suffice to say i have not been confident to use this tablet for anything important for a whole year. Asus support has been poor too, sending me generic fixes for laptops for some reason and then telling me to send it in for repairs when all of this was obviously software issues that could be solved remotely.

Bob Reynolds2

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem...battery drain.

Kernel version : 3.4.66-ge79544a
Build number : KOT49H.US_epad-11.4.1.29-20141218
Android version : 4.4.2

My OS updated to the exact same version shown above and the problem is fixed. If I hadn't read the information on this forum, I would have been reluctant to install the OS upgrade.

Anyway...success.

Heetan

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you everyone who has provided advice on this forum. I was getting dismayed about the power drain problem and it is really helpful to have advice from others in the same situation.

Ron Gillick

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this but after being fixed with that update and working perfectly for a few weeks, my tablet has reverted to the same old problem with Android OS again draining my battery. as badly as it did last time. Is anyone else having the problem again?

DMacAlpine

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Interesting...

I got this battery drain problem shortly after my tablet had been returned from repair because the keyboard dock battery was draining when the dock was disconnected, I RMA'd it for repair on 17th December (no-one at ASUS mentioned software...).

I got the tablet back on 22nd January, after a couple of complaints about how long it had been, and had exactly the same problem as before. According to the paperwork they had 'REPLACED MAINBOARD, LCD ASSEMBLY, I/O FPC AND MIC RUBBER, RECOVERED OPERATING SYSTEM, END TEST PASSED.'
The Kernel version was 3.4.66-g96e53b8 and the Build number KOT49H.WW_epad-11.4.1.17-20140711.

When I found this thread today I downloaded the kernel update (couldn't get it OTA), so I'm now on 3.4.66-ge79544a, KOT49H.WW_epad-11.4.1.29-20141218.

1. I'll be interested to see if this cures the problem
2. I'll be interested to hear what ASUS have to say, I demanded a refund when I found out that they hadn't fixed the problem.....

Davidlmorel

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Me too. Was having all kinds of problem with battery drain, then installed the OTA and everything was great. A week or so ago, the problem is back. Anyone else have any ideas? My guess is Google Apps is breaking things, but don't know what to do!

DMacAlpine

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
The problem seems to have re-emerged for me too.

After being switched off then back on again yesterday the tablet went through the night (in aeroplane mode) without using any battery at all. This morning, after a bit of use, I put it into aeroplane mode and left it to sleep for less than two hours - during which time the battery went down by 12%.

The dock also seems to be exhibiting some strange behaviour.
When the tablet battery got to 80% the dock used to charge it back up to 100%, using half the dock's battery - so this would happen twice.
Now it waits until the tablet gets to 70%, then completely discharges the dock battery - but only recharges the tablet to 87% in the process.
I need to investigate this some more, but I don't think that it's just down to the dock battery being dead. It was replaced recently and last night it recharged the tablet from 57% to 87% when I disconnected it so that I could run the tablet down a bit more.

DMacAlpine

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Yup, the battery drain is back in full force for me.

I tried the GServiceFix app to no avail, I even used Permission Manager to stop the OS, Google Plus and Google Services from keeping the tablet awake. The battery monitor shows that it only woke up very briefly throughout the night, but the battery still drained all the way down.

I re-connected the, fully charged, dock to the tablet when it reached 5%. It only took it back up to 24%, so no improvement there.

Time for another RMA...

BeekJason

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
i was having major problem prior to the Late december update. Since then i have had intermittent issues. Complete Battery Drain in half a day of standby. If I catch it happenigng, rebooting has fixed it. Happened to me again Starting this morning, and was dead when i returned home from work. Prior to that, went 4 days without being charged.

James Bayne1

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Ok my tablet is doing the same thing.

But with mine i even power it off for the night pug it in to charge and it only gets half a charge. Is that more of a hardware (bad battery or connection) or is it still part of the software issuse?

Fred Smith7

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Are you guys sure it's the battery and not the indicator? The documentation says you should do a full drain (actual, to where it loses power, not just using indicators) so that the indicator can calibrate.

Ron Gillick

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Mine has started working properly again following a full battery drain. However that is not the first time I've tried that and it doesn't seem to work all of the time.

Mic Heenan

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I have a TPL500 which might last 4 hours, even less when screen is on full brightness (which I need), when I was expecting 8 so that I could take it to college.
I don't seem to have Google Play so that isn't the problem.
Really disappointing.
cheers

bobdutyimages

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
This may be out of place, but I've recently opened my 701, after about a month of no use and completely charged through the dock overnight, and the screen appeared normal, but dead to the touch. I powered down and back up to the first two splash screens. When I see the Nvidia Tegra logo, it freezes. I removed it from the dock and powered down again. No battery power. I plugged the charger directly into the tablet and the battery indicator only has a small red sliver. Any ideas?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital