Terrible Battery Drain on the ASUS Transformer Pad TF701

blixel

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I got the ASUS Transformer Pad TF701 on March 19th, 2014. I was extremely happy with the upgrade over the TF300 which I had prior. The first several months of using the TF701 was great, but then the system did a major update.

Since that OS update, the battery drain in standby mode is terrible. It's so bad that I have to power the tablet completely off.

I've also noticed, at times, that if I forget to power it off, I will wake up with a warm tablet. I've even tried switching to airplane mode at night, but it doesn't help. The battery still dies. I am at a loss.

I was hoping that another update would fix the issue, but it has not.

1. Has anyone else experienced this?
  2. Can I downgrade back to the original firmware?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! To help troubleshoot, it would be helpful to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Preston Broussard

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
My situation is identical to yours. I didn't notice the issue immediately after the update, but it was only maybe a few days after that it came to my attention. Had mine in my satchel in my vehicle for a couple of hours yesterday after work, it was around 34 degrees out. I grab the tablet out of my satchel, and its warm as hell, like its been running a game non stop for an hour or so. Down to 50% from full in 2 hours. Dead in the morning with barely any use. Ridiculous.

otter221

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same issue. For me it's the wifi draining. I closed the tablet down docked at 89% batt for the dock and 100% for the tablet. I 'woke' it up 24 hrs later with the wifi off the whole time and it was at 87% and 97%. Before (when leaving the wifi on) it would drain the dock completely and the tablet by probably 30% in 8 hrs.

Ron Gillick

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same problems after the update including the keyboard not working even though it showed as connected. I let the batteries drain right out then recharged them last night. The keypad now works and it's been sitting unused for 10 hours while I was at work. When I came home and checked, both tablet and keyboard batteries were both still at 100%. It's only been a day so I don't know if it's a permanent fix but it's worked so far.

pbyron

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same problem also. At first I thought it only drained when WiFi was left on but turns out not true. Sometimes it will sit idle all day and only use 2%, sometimes drains to dead overnight.

I got so fed up I installed CyanogenMod 11 but its the same!

Some hardware issue? I dunno I've more or less given up.

One thing, a cold boot seems to cure it, but only until you actually use the tablet for anything.

NovusOrigine

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I've also been having this problem with my TF701T running Android 4.4.2 (from an OTA update) (it doesn't seem to suspend even though there are no wakelocks preventing it), so I did a little digging in the power management status information in the kernel. One particularly interesting aspect was that /sys/kernel/debug/suspend_stats contained the following:
Code:
success: 0
fail: 10328
failed_freeze: 4942
failed_prepare: 0
failed_suspend: 5386
failed_suspend_late: 0
failed_suspend_noirq: 0
failed_resume: 0
failed_resume_early: 0
failed_resume_noirq: 0
failures:
  last_failed_dev:      nvavp
                        nvavp
  last_failed_errno:    -16
  last_failed_step:     freeze
                        suspend
Immediately after rebooting, the number of failures was, as expected, 0, but immediately increased by ten when I turned the screen off for about ten seconds. Leaving the tablet unplugged with the screen off for a few hours resulted in the above. This suggests that the tablet is actually attempting to go to suspend (i.e. it's not being prevented by wakelocks, at least not all the time).

Further investigation shows that error code -16 corresponds to -EBUSY; the nvavp driver is refusing to suspend since it is busy. That may have something to do with commit a97621dc0ddf4983cdb9a17af3caffe2903abea7 to the Android kernel/tegra tree, which fixed a bug that allowed nvavp to suspend even when in use.

I haven't rooted my tablet, so I'm limited to the information available via adb shell or a terminal emulator, neither of which has root privileges.

Joepo77

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I got the ASUS Transformer Pad TF701 on March 19th, 2014. I was extremely happy with the upgrade over the TF300 which I had prior. The first several months of using the TF701 was great, but then the system did a major update.

Since that OS update, the battery drain in standby mode is terrible. It's so bad that I have to power the tablet completely off.

I've also noticed, at times, that if I forget to power it off, I will wake up with a warm tablet. I've even tried switching to airplane mode at night, but it doesn't help. The battery still dies. I am at a loss.

I was hoping that another update would fix the issue, but it has not.

1. Has anyone else experienced this?
  2. Can I downgrade back to the original firmware?

Hello to you all,
I experience this excessive power drain too since last week, caused by the 'Android Operating system' and increased wifi activity in stand-by/sleep mode with screen closed.
In my case the power drained from 100% back in 15 hours of NO use to 4%! As I could work for over 2 to 3 days for many hours a week ago....

The power graph is almost similar to the ones I find here, but with one big diffenrence: In my case I see 4 to 6 power spikes peaking up to 100%, wich is impossible because there is no power supply connected.
I do not know how to attach a screenshot to this forum.

As far as I know there was a very small firmware update a month ago. It was suddenly there, it installed and rebooted automatically in the blink of an eye, and I cannot find any details what it was for, nor eventually bug fixes or performance updates and can not see any difference in Android version. Is this usual or suspected?

I did install the app Monument Valley and it seems that after installing this, the excessive power drain started.

few Questions:

1: When was the last firmware update? I have Android 4.4.2 already for a few months.
2: Does any of you also show the small power peaks up to 100% in the graph during power drain?
3: Anyone tried to completely factory reset the TF701?
4: Are there links to other fora as well to share this issue and link solutions?

Thanks!

jwkenobi

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Was Skype running on your tablet? I have it installed, but I don't launch it very often.

I'm super curious if this had any effect on the power drain.

stokking

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
The stuff about the nvavp is the best debugging I've read so far, it is the exact same for me: heavy battery drain due to Android OS, and the suspend_stats file shows the same thing for me.

Anyone find a solution to this? It is driving me crazy, did a factory reset that has helped for 2 days. I guess it updated again or something, so the problem re-emerged again.

jon421

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Same battery drain problem here on my tf701t. It always feels warm in idle so I know it's doing something it shouldn't be.

This problem started about 2 weeks ago and android os now often shows higher drain than the screen! I stopped/uninstalled every app I could think of, removed SD card, disabled WiFi and battery was still draining about 8%/hour when not being used. Finally did a full factory reset, charged to 100% and battery was down to 92% after 1 hour of idle. E.g. no freaking change!! The only thing I'd setup was email.

These days all I do is waste my time trying to figure out this problem. Are there any solutions out there??

stokking

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I put in a support call with Asus yesterday: maybe if more people do that, they will do something about it. If the stuff about nvavp is correct, it needs a new patch in the Android OS / kernel, and typically that is something that Asus should arrange for, right?

I gave them a link to this discussion btw.

Kris Vansant

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
The same problem over here :
10% battery gone in 1 hour in idle. Wifi off, Location off, factory reset ... nothing helps.
I installed GSam battery app, and this one shows me that the Android Kernel OS consumes up to 52% ?
This evening I'm going back to the shop were I bought this device, maybe they know a solution.

sipik

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem as the other people have already mentioned. Battery goes down overnight (about 7-8h) by 50%. And if I dont plug the power in, I usually find the tablet off in the evening.

Anyways, I want to tell that I performed yesterday a factory reset, but this does not help. Today I notice the same behaviour as yesterday. So this is definitely not the solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs