ASUS Zenfone 2: Are you getting one?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am going to put it through its paces, gaming, casual and graphics intense games, see how the camera is, call quality etc. More of an as I use it daily thoughts was my plan rather than one long post since I have not done a formal review of anything in a very very long time.

bigsmooth66

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I do not see any indication of NFC. There's no chip in the back or the back cover.

I have not had any heating issues to speak of. I haven't put the phone through the ringer, but I usually dont play intense games. For media its been great and fast. No noticeable lag at all.

I sold my HTC One M8 for this phone because I wanted a bigger screen. I thought I would miss the speakers, but the zenfone is plenty loud for music and video. The screen is great for a 720p because the colors still pop.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Bigsmooth, can you comment on the headphone out sound? I am not expecting you to be an "audiophile" but you say you had the HTC One M8, a phone known to have very good headphone out sound. Headphone is of paramount importance to me and this phone is made by Asus, a company that in the past has shown to pay attention to sound. We can't rely on Android Central to review sound quality, because Andrew Martonik, as he reminds us, is not an "audiophile".

bigsmooth66

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Bigsmooth, can you comment on the headphone out sound? I am not expecting you to be an "audiophile" but you say you had the HTC One M8, a phone known to have very good headphone out sound. Headphone is of paramount importance to me and this phone is made by Asus, a company that in the past has shown to pay attention to sound. We can't rely on Android Central to review sound quality, because Andrew Martonik, as he reminds us, is not an "audiophile".

The earplugs that came with the phone suck, period. However I have a pair of LG Tone Bluetooth earplugs that sound great. My cheap Sony headphones sound good as well. For music I mostly use Spotify, so I haven't tried changing any sound enhancers.

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Raptor007 & bigsmooth66: can you say if phone has L 5.0 or 5.1 ? I am interested in Google VPN. My understanding is that Lollypop 5.1 will be necesary. If not I wonder when? Has Asus been good about updates?

bigsmooth66

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Raptor007 & bigsmooth66: can you say if phone has L 5.0 or 5.1 ? I am interested in Google VPN. My understanding is that Lollypop 5.1 will be necesary. If not I wonder when? Has Asus been good about updates?

It currently has 5.0. There was an update as soon as I got the phone, but it was not to 5.1. It was probably a firmware update.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
NFC is listed on the specs page by Asus.
Phones - ZenFone 2 (ZE551ML) - ASUS

@bigsmooth, NFC is not something that is put on the back cover, it is a chip inside the phone. You wouldn't see it without taking the phone apart. Look in your settings and see if there is anything referencing it perhaps.

And to answer the original question, I'm one of the lucky people getting one from AC.

bigsmooth66

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

@bigsmooth, NFC is not something that is put on the back cover, it is a chip inside the phone. You wouldn't see it without taking the phone apart. Look in your settings and see if there is anything referencing it perhaps.

And to answer the original question, I'm one of the lucky people getting one from AC.

I know what NFC is and where it can be located. I know this phone doesnt have it. I was trying to paint a picture for those who havent toiched the phone yet.

Some phones do have the NFC chip in the back cover. The chip then connects to the main board through prongs. It depends on the phone. Simply looking in the settings doesnt work because NFC can be deactivated through software.

bigsmooth66

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Like i said, I have the ZE550ML.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Like i said, I have the ZE550ML. It does not have NFC.

Thanks for checking your model. The ZE551ML does have it. It can be confusing with the number of models and specs. How has the battery life on yours been? The ZE550ML is the 2GB 1.8 GHz Atom correct? I bet the battery life is pretty good!

waveman4u

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, i'm getting one in April. The main difference in the Z551ML models is having a 1.8 processor compared to a 2.3 processor. The 2.3 will be priced below $300, and the 1.8 is priced around $220.
Even though it's priced around the same amount of my crappy BLU Life One X, i think the 3560 is best for me.
I will never use 4 GB, and the processor, from what i heard, is used in bursts, so there really isn't much difference in the 2 models.
They will still have 5.5 Full HD, the same 13 megs camera, and all the other goodies.
The phone will be unlocked, which allows me to keep my H2O acct. in which i pay about $20 for 90 days.

bigsmooth66

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for checking your model. The ZE551ML does have it. It can be confusing with the number of models and specs. How has the battery life on yours been? The ZE550ML is the 2GB 1.8 GHz Atom correct? I bet the battery life is pretty good!

The battery has been ok. Im a heavy user, so i find myself looking for a charge around early evening, but i do take phone off charger around 6 am every morning.

The specs you quote are correct. And the phone flies on that processor.ost people will not need the 4GB model, just power users.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to report in and say hello and congrats to you guys/gals who are receiving this device. A very deserving group of individuals that I feel lucky and fortunate to be a part of! You guys are one of many reasons I enjoy spending my time here! I'm glad to be in good company reviewing this device :). I will be writing with you all and reporting how my day to day use is with it. I'm a moderate user BUT heavily use it as my music player for sure....commute to and from work....gym...at home....A LOT for music, lol! Eagerly anticipating its arrival! Thank you Android Central!

PS: Sorry for not writing any sooner....been busy moving from Queens to Brooklyn. Now, I have to unpack and settle in my new digs! :)

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Where can i order one to be shipped to the US that will work on Tmobile?

There are multiple versions being sold on amazon and ebay. I would personally wait until they are officially available in the US and make sure you get full warranty and aren't scammed but that's your call.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12