Asus ZenFone 2 AT&T Connectivity

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any luck with having the imei of your ZenFone 2 in ATTs system and getting LTE, I've been working on it for weeks and have gotten no where

Posted via the Android Central App

This will not work. Read the other posts... you need to find an AT&T LTE phone to get the account provisioned.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Which model and sub-model, exactly, do you have ?
For instance ZE551ML- TW version ......

Fred

Hey Everyone,
I picked up the ZenFone 2 at the event today and when I got home I popped in my AT&T Sim, called AT&T, updated the imei and no LTE, according to many sites it does support LTE on AT&T but my phone just won't cooperate, any suggestions?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any luck with having the imei of your ZenFone 2 in ATTs system and getting LTE, I've been working on it for weeks and have gotten no where

I popped my att SIM and got LTE instantly. I have been on the LTE network since it launched so no need to mess with provisioning and IMEI's etc. So you have att and were not on the LTE network?

go get the IMEI from a display phone in the store...settings, scroll down to about, status and then get the IMEI half way down. Call then and activate your SIM on an LTE plan.

Gary Shih-Hsien Yen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
This is basically how I did it. Worked like a charm. Only I activated a new sim over the phone and made sure it worked on my AT&T HTC One M8, then just popped it into my zf2.

Is it only work in new sim card? If I already activated my new sim card and put it in my zenfone. Can I get LTE service when I borrow another att lte device and switch the sim card

Thank you!

FrenziedMuffin

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello all. Old thread, but I want to post for some information.

I use Cricket (at&t) with my ZenFone and when I first activated the sim I was getting 3G only. Cricket gave me custom apn settings to force the phone on 4G. This was a long troublehshooting process, but Cricket believes AT&T's system was flagging the new ZenFone 2 as the old ZenFone. Im sure the issue is fixed now, but that's what caused the problem.

Gary Shih-Hsien Yen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello all. Old thread, but I want to post for some information.

I use Cricket (at&t) with my ZenFone and when I first activated the sim I was getting 3G only. Cricket gave me custom apn settings to force the phone on 4G. This was a long troublehshooting process, but Cricket believes AT&T's system was flagging the new ZenFone 2 as the old ZenFone. Im sure the issue is fixed now, but that's what caused the problem.

Thanks for sharing this information. Is it fixed now in ATT? Cause my zenfone 2 still use h+.

Could you share your custom apn setting? It could help most zenfone 2 user. Thanks!!! :)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So far after several attempts AT&T is refusing to get my ZF2 onto LTE. The most recent attempt I was told its an International Phone and the IMIE isn't listed to support LTE. This means they won't allow it despite the fact I have an AT&T SIM, it has the AT&T bands and I have put in the AT&T APN settings.

So I ordered a Moto X 2nd Gen, it will be here on Wednesday. If that doesn't get LTE (Told by Moto it will) and given AT&T sells the Moto X 2nd Gen then it goes back to Moto and I have to roll the dice with something else.

I have tried several SIM's but the issue is I was between LTE phones so my backup flip phone (no LTE) is why I can't just swap SIM's. Of course I could just buy a phone with a microSIM, and return it and pay a restock fee, which may become my backup move.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips, guys. I borrowed my brother's old S3, put the SIM in, chat with AT&T, told them to activate the LTE, popped it back in the Zenfone 2, and voila.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So am I reading correctly that if I see a "4G" (in a square box) at the top of my phone display, I am getting LTE, even though it doesn't say lte" like it did on my old G2 phone.

Note I'm in the USA and on AT&T.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That is correct, the US likes LTE and the rest of the world recognizes it as 4G vs H or H+. Can't wait for the next round of marketing BS the carriers put out, like XLTE from Verizon, that somehow another band is even better.

Neil Mehta

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I did what you have recommended. I activated LTE on my old phone and after inserting that SIM card in Zenfone 2, I get LTE service :) Have a question though, I also read on some other forum that AT&T regularly does sweep to make sure that SIM card is being used with IMEI number that it has been registered against. How often AT&T does this sweep?

Thanks

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard of that. I used another phone on my account to set up my wife's ZF2, and it still gets LTE. This was several months ago. The IMEI is just used to initially provision the line, as far as I can tell. If the IMEI you're using has changed subsequently, so what? The SIM is already set up for your line. That's a key feature of the GSM standard and its derivatives, really...

BrownHay

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I bought a Zen2, went to AT&T with my Galaxy 5 and asked to add a new phone to my account and needed a SIM. They told me that if they put a different SIM in my G5 that my original SIM would be burned as they match the SIM and IMEI for security. I think she said stolen phones. Is this true? My wife's Galaxy 6 uses a nanoSIM. My work phone G5 uses a Micro like the Zen2, so I need to use theG5, but can't mess up my work account as it is through the company. Will my work account or SIM be at risk if I use its IMEI to register a new SIM for the Zen2 as AT&T claims? Thanks

Neil Mehta

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
BrownHay,
I see. However you don't need to use your G5 SIM card. You can activate service on your wife's nano SIM from G6 and then buy SIM card adapter from Amazon for under $7 and put nano SIM in to adapter and use it in Zen2. As you are going from Nano to Micro, you should be all set. Hope this helps. Best luck!

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Is there still an issue with activating a new zen2 directly with Att? I have a friend who may purchase a new zen2 to replace her current phone but I don't think she will want to fool with swapping sims. Probably she would want to just walk in the Att store with her old and new phone and ask them to switch service to the new phone.

Neil Mehta

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
As lot of people have pointed out, Zenfone 2 doesn't support LTE right out of the box. In order to get LTE, you have to register SIM card against phone with IMEI number that supports LTE and then use that SIM card in Zenfone 2. I do not believe your friend can just walk with Zenfone 2 in ATT store and get LTE service after activation. It is worth a try though. Best luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance