My review thread

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
There's no sticky review thread yet, so I'm just posting mine here.

Just got the phone today, I'm about 6 hours in. I'm coming from an HTC One M8 and compared to that, this thing is a beast. It runs circles around the M8. It even bests my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 in some games. It's really that fast and they weren't kidding about multitasking working very well.

Hardware-wise, build quality is solid but I'm not a big fan of the feel of the plastic back (got the silver). The Nexus 5 plastic is much nicer. I'm hoping those Illusion back covers are nicer quality.

It fits well in my hand, but my index finger never falls right in the middle of the phone. So those volume buttons are just a huge hassle to get to and that power button is too flush to press easily. And while some people might not like the fixed capacitive nav keys, I'm a fan. Software keys take up screen space and require extra swipes when they're hidden. Plus Google has implemented them to always show up on the right side which irks me as a lefty.

Compared to the M8, the Zenfone 2 doesn't get anywhere near as hot either. Played some games while charging and the M8 would get too hot to hold. The ZF2 was not much more than warm.

The screen quality is decent. Next to a flagship, it's obviously worse but it's perfectly acceptable for a $300 phone.

Software-wise, I'm actually pretty impressed with Asus here. Yes there's bloat, quite a lot of it actually, but some of it is perception also, Asus has lots of tiny apps that many other manufacturers would hide as settings. There's an app called Splendid that handles the vivid screen settings for example. And in the Asus apps, if there's any new menu items after a software update, Asus helpfully puts a little 'N' icon to indicate it's new.

Some misc notes:

Sound quality of the speaker is bad, as expected. But at least with headphones on, you get a full equalizer instead of HTCs Beats On/Off control.

I've successfully used a USB thumb drive and it shows up ok in the File Manager so that's supported unlike in Nexus devices.

I ran into some weird screen tearing while slowly scrolling pages up and down but can't seem to replicate it now.

The rewards tab in the Starbucks app crashes consistently. I wonder if that's an issue with the Intel proc. Haven't ran into problems with any other apps.

Overall, a very good buy at $299.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm holding out to give my review once I have the device for at least a week (I have a press review unit from the unveiling). But with that said, I agree and like what you posted. I'm still in shock at just how well this device is for is price range. And I can see people who normally would buy a $700 or $800 flagship wondering why they should do so when such a midrange phone can do just as well for the typical consumer.

Again, nice review.

Posted via the Android Central App

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm also holding out until I have had it for a week or so (got mine yesterday). Pretty much I completely agree, though. (Except the plastic back doesn't bother me; it's in a case anyway ;) )

This thing is so fast and so smooth so far... and the biggest surprise is how much I like the ASUS launcher. I was expecting to switch to the Google Now launcher almost immediately, but given how much customizable the stock launcher is, I really don't have any reason to switch!

I'm still in shock at just how well this device is for is price range. And I can see people who normally would buy a $700 or $800 flagship wondering why they should do so...

^ this. So far, It's getting almost impossible for me to justify paying 2+ times as much for any phone... This thing is quite impressive.

Something of Note: Does anyone else like the way that it sounds with headphones? For having such subpar built in speakers, I really am enjoying listening with headphones. I am able to distinguish more separate instruments... a nice surprise!

Last edited:

TOTtomdora

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm also holding out until I have had it for a week or so (got mine yesterday). Pretty much I completely agree, though. (Except the plastic back doesn't bother me; it's in a case anyway ;) )

This thing is so fast and so smooth so far... and the biggest surprise is how much I like the ASUS launcher. I was expecting to switch to the Google Now launcher almost immediately, but given how much customizable the stock launcher is, I really don't have any reason to switch!

^ this. So far, It's getting almost impossible for me to justify paying 2+ times as much for any phone... This thing is quite impressive.

Something of Note: Does anyone else like the way that it sounds with headphones? For having such subpar built in speakers, I really am enjoying listening with headphones. I am able to distinguish more separate instruments... a nice surprise!

I actually noticed this myself --- compared to my nexus 7 and S3 (which have superior speakers), the sound chip seems much better!

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Glad to see good experiences with the Zenfone!
I'll have to kick in a few thoughts about the 16 gig version I received today.
Out of the box so far I'm smiling a lot.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I also have the press review unit from the event. I gave a mini review on another thread and am still really pleased with the device. I also noticed how good it sounds with headphones. I do, however, prefer the Google Now launcher. :) And I have the phone in a wallet case most of the time, but I like the feel of the red back when I take it out of the case. Maybe not quite as much as my N5, though.

There are some things I miss from my N5, but I'm already sold on the larger screen.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Asus ZenFone 2

Degineth

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I also have the press review unit from the event. I gave a mini review on another thread and am still really pleased with the device. I also noticed how good it sounds with headphones. I do, however, prefer the Google Now launcher. And I have the phone in a wallet case most of the time, but I like the feel of the red back when I take it out of the case. Maybe not quite as much as my N5, though.

There are some things I miss from my N5, but I'm already sold on the larger screen.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
ive been keeping my eye on this device for awhile now. the only thing stopping me is no aosp roms. as soon as it gets that ill buy the $299 version.