Calling with Google Voice and Zenfone 2 not working correctly

stevepierce

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I have Google Voice set to make calls. The settings are

Making Calls
Ask every time I make a call.

When I make a call, instead of getting a pop-up asking me if I want to use Voice to make the call, the call is completed but under the dialer screen, is the Voice pop-up.

If I immediately hang up the call, then switch to the Voice pop-up, I can make the call with Voice.

That isn't how it should work. When you make the call, the pop-up should appear but no call should happen until you select use voice or phone. That is the way it works on a S3 with 4.4.2.

Any suggestions?

- Steve

BBfuels

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
stevepierce,

Thanks for the work around. But I kind of wish I saw your thread before purchasing this phone. It looks like for now Zenfone 2 users who use Google Voice to dial out can do either of the following:

1) stevepierce's workaround of placing calls through the native phone dialer app by setting Google Voice to 'prompt for all calls' and then when placing a call through the native phone app, hang up the first attempt and the Google Voice prompt underneath should still ask you the place the call with Google Voice, the 2nd attempt will place the call through Google Voice's number

2) If you have good data reception through cellular or wifi you can also use the Hangouts Dialer app to place the call through your Google Voice number and there won't be any workaround needed since Hangouts does not have access to your phones sim card(s) and the call will be placed over data using your Google Voice number.

Heavy Google Voice users who regularly call using their Google Voice number as the outgoing number should stay clear of this phone if they don't want to do either of the two workarounds.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
This is a problem with this phone in many apps and is a showstopper bug in my opinion. I have another app I use that prompts upon each call and the call is not supposed to proceed until the prompt is answered. The Zenfone 2 places the call anyway and hides the prompt behind the dialer. Only phone I've ever had behave this way. I've stopped placing calls on this phone at all because of the bugs and switched my SIM to another phone.

bhullIT

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Why is there always a problem? Each phone I try has one problem or another... oh well so far I can live with the Zenfone... until I find a showstopper like with my Fire Phone which echoed back the caller's voice when using Hangouts...

So I can confirm the native dialer problem with the Zenfone, but I use the Hangouts dialer so for me it's not a showstopper (I didn't even know there was a problem until I read this thread)

I find it very hard to understand why Google cannot create a native dialer app which works on ANY Android and routes the call as desired (like an ObiHai box, or PBX)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo