The Flip Case - First impressions

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I put on the flip case to test it out. I'm not usually a fan of cases, but since I had it, I figured I'd toss it on. A few thoughts:

That bottom edge is really sharp. I was genuinely nervous I'd slice my pinky when I was holding the phone.

It's really cool you can take pics and flip on the flashlight from the window.

Google hangouts notifications don't play nice with the window.

It's easy to navigate. I haven't used cases like it before, but it's much more useful than the dot view case.

All things said, I took it off. It was too uncomfortable and not useful enough, imho.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 882.jpg
    882.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 23

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My case does not have a sharp edge.

I generally do not like cases like this, but the glass protector I bought is not fit for this phone. It covers up the sensor. So, until I get new glass I will use this.

The one thing I do like about the case though is it replaces the original back, which is one bugger to get off. The owners manual says not to use a tool, but I had no choice but to use a plastic tool because I thought it was glued on. I am not sure why manufacturers feel the need to make backs so tight that THEY even tell you not to use a tool. I have a Note 4 and that comes off with ease.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Glad I checked in here.

I was hovering over the buy button for this case.
Just wasn't sure I'd like the flip style.

Ended up buying the Asus bumper.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think it is pretty cool that ASUS included the flip case in the package! I ordered another case but will try this out to see how it functions.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
How did you guys get the cover off - the original one, not the flip case? I just ripped two fingernails down to the flesh and it didn't budge. I followed directions of holding it upside down but that didn't help.

Edit: well I wouldn't recommend this, but I used an eyeglass screwdriver to pry it off since my fingers were bleeding from my previous attempts.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
How did you guys get the cover off - the original one, not the flip case? I just ripped two fingernails down to the flesh and it didn't budge. I followed directions of holding it upside down but that didn't help.

Edit: well I wouldn't recommend this, but I used an eyeglass screwdriver to pry it off since my fingers were bleeding from my previous attempts.

That back cover is a real challenge to pry off there.
Somehow I got it off with no tools.

Not looking forward to having to remove it for any reason again.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Have not popped my SIM in yet. Charging it up and will set up on wifi. Thanks for the heads up on the rear panel. Looking for one of my micro SD cards since it has been a while since I used one.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I personally fell in love with this folio and I'm just as surprised as you. It just works great and still fits in my pocket without extra bulk.

Posted via the zenfone 2

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I actually bent my thumb nail back trying to pry the darn thing myself, lol! I had to go through the manual to check if its a removable back just in case.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, after coming home and assessing everything, I kind of like the circle case! It has a rubbery, tactile feel to it which helps with grip. Im going to keep it for now since i dont have a case for it.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The flip cover has a decent amount of options on it, which is nice. I have an S-View cover on my Note 3, which I love, but it actually has less options than the Asus. Of course the Note 3 has Action Memo with S-Pen functionality on the window, which is a big draw. Even though the Zenfone doesn't have a pen, it would be nice if there was a memo option on the flip cover, but other than that, it has some useful info on it.

I prefer the leather feel (it's fake leather) of the Note's S-view to the feel of the Asus flip cover, but I think if I didn't have another flip cover to compare it to, I 'd like it just fine. I plan to keep it on for now. I will probably remove it after awhile and see if I prefer it with or without it. But honestly, I just don't want to have to deal with getting the back cover back off again right now. :)

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The back was really hard to get off the first time, but its been getting easier each time.

I used the flip case for about 5 days until I got a regular slim case and screen protector.

I genuinely liked some features of the circle window, weather, checking texts, calls and email quickly

But in the end that flap just gets in the way while doing everything.
Makes the phone uncomfortable to hold during calls, and general use, I wound up holding it like a book all the time which meant always using two hands. It was really frustrating.

I don't understand why some people like these cases or even worse the wallet cases which add so much bulk

Josh Exmoor

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I kind of disregarded the flip case initially due to some of the feedback I'd seen, but I decided to throw it on this morning just to see how I liked it. I actually like it quite a bit. The big surprise to me was that there is clear plastic over the "window". I swear I saw a video where this was just an open hole. I like that this part of the screen is not just open to scratches in your pocket. I'd also bought a simple bad cover case off Amazon a month or so ago, but I've found it pretty slippery.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The back was really hard to get off the first time, but its been getting easier each time.

I used the flip case for about 5 days until I got a regular slim case and screen protector.

I genuinely liked some features of the circle window, weather, checking texts, calls and email quickly

Makes the phone uncomfortable to hold during calls, and general use, I wound up holding it like a book all the time which meant always using two hands. It was really frustrating.

I don't understand why some people like these cases or even worse the wallet cases which add so much bulk

I tried the flip case, and liked it, but I actually use, and like, a wallet case. Everything I need is in one place, I don't have to carry a purse, and I can take the phone out of the case when I'm just hanging around the house. Works for me but I get why it wouldn't for others.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Asus ZenFone 2

TheJastrom

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I used the flip case on the phone yesterday, messing around with the phone installing games etc and this flip case just gets in the way when you turn the phone sideways for a pic or play a driving game etc. My hand started to ache, it's just not ergonomically satisfying. I think I'm leaning towards this Leather Case I just hope it's not cheapie feeling.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

You can speak and answer calls with the flip cover closed, just so you know. But yeah, at times it does get in the way. But I constantly answer calls with it closed, and continue to talk with it closed. Then hang up all while it is closed.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692