Battery Life Issues

nscian12

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty bad. I'm still disappointed with mine. It did improve from yesterday after the boot and cache clear but still not good. I'm getting half the battery life of my Note 3 with the same setup and settings.

There is an interview that Android Central did with the Asus Chairman and one thing that was spoken about was battery life. From what I understand it still needs to be improved. I am sure Asus is working on it however Intel processors have never been known to be the most battery efficient processors in mobile devices. Samsung has also had much more time to optimize their android experience. I would turn on the built in power saver mode and wait for updates.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty bad. I'm still disappointed with mine. It did improve from yesterday after the boot and cache clear but still not good. I'm getting half the battery life of my Note 3 with the same setup and settings.

It definitely isn't the best. For how fast the phone charges though that could be the trade off. I went from 2% to 100% in 40 mins which is pretty crazy.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
If that is what it is related to, Asus should be able to fix it without having to wait for 5.1 or later because my Note 3 is on 5.0 and I get 7 hours screen on time over a 24 hour period on a battery that is over a year old. And the Note 3 has a slightly bigger display and I use it much more intensively than just email and internet. To be fair, the Note 3 battery is 3200mAh but with the other factors, it should be about even with the Zenfone 2.

I totally agree.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Asus ZenFone 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing the wi-fi battery drain issue as well. Wi-fi is supposed to use less battery than mobile data in the first place, so this clearly shouldn't be happening. I've seen similar several threads over on Asus's own ZenTalk forums. I'm fortunate in that I have unlimited data on T-Mobile, so I can just turn my wi-fi off--but this clearly will be a problem for those who don't have unlimited data. Hopefully Asus recognizes this problem and corrects it quickly.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had the phone for two weeks and while I do get some drain from wifi, it's not as bad as the screen shots here.

Could it be the difference between 2.4 vs 5ghz bands on the router?

I get 4 to 5 hours of SoT with 17 hours of standby as long as I'm not using my screen too brightly (50% or less). Once I start using it at 75% or higher then I lose a good hour of SoT and maybe 2 hours of standby.

(i do not use Google Now so history is off, but location I keep on. Wifi scanning is off. I may have tweaked it in other ways, but can't remember. Didn't disable any bloat yet... I don't have time for that right now and just want to play with it when my other phone is charging or I want to test an app or game. But I used it as my daily driver for a few days and is an excellent budget phone.)

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I get 4 to 5 hours of SoT with 17 hours of standby as long as I'm not using my screen too brightly (50% or less). Once I start using it at 75% or higher then I lose a good hour of SoT and maybe 2 hours of standby.

Yeah, Anandtech's review shows the ZF2 is very sensitive to screen brightness affecting battery life. They conclude the phone has an inefficient screen and LED backlight and is probably the reason why the screen looks dimmer than on other phones.

My own battery results are in line with yours. I'm generally at around 70% brightness and get max 4 hours SoT if I push it.

Tan Wei Qiang

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Guys - do this. Im no Tech - savvy guy but i did this, and it improved at least 20%. EXCEPT for the Camera part - Zenfone 2's camera is a battery Juice SUCKER :) note : used camera for 5 mins and battery down 15% !!!

a) AUTO -START MANAGER - to stop unnecessary apps from strating by themselves upon STARTUP
b) Google Search (Google Settings) - Stop all auto-synch. We can still synch as and when we want to.
c) Some apps can't be disabled - OPEN ALL apps that include those which can't be disabled.
Go to POWER SAVER - Then click the 3 dots (top right hand corner) - click BATTERY
Again, click the 3 dots above --> select APPS POWER USAGE DETAILS
U will find a list of apps using the battery - click on the apps that you DO NOT WANT to wake up 'forever'
Just tick on the 2 boxes for EACH individual app (pls do it manually for each and every app) - including those unused (but can't be disabled)
Then RESTART the Zenfone 2

d) WIFI - long press the WiFi icon and you will find 3 dots on the top right hand side again. Click on it, select ADVANCED ---> Off both NOTIFY WHENEVER A PUBLIC NETWORK IS AVAILABLE & SCANNING ALWAYS AVAILABLE ( These 2 are the MOST battery draining wifi prob, i guess)
Next, pls select the Wi-Fi frequency band as apposed to AUTO

e) Off the phone and do a WIPE CACHE PARTITION. As apend below :-

Wiping partition cache will resolve any conflicts caused by residual cache from the earlier firmware version

1. Switch off the phone by pressing the power button. It will show menu option to turn power off.

2. Press and hold power + volume up button . After it buzzes/vibrates RELEASE POWER BUTTON only.
When Asus Logo appears - RELEASE VOLUME UP button

3. It will boot into bootloader mode. You will get option to select Recovery mode by using the Volume rockers. Select it by using the power button.

4. Then the phone will reboot and show error written with Android icon lying belly up. When you see that press and hold power button and press and release volume up button.

5. It will enter the recovery mode successfully and show several options.

6. You will get option to wipe partition cache. Use the volume rockers to move to that option.Select it by pressing the power button.It may take 10 mins to wipe it fully.

7. It will come back to the menu . Select reboot after that.

I hope it helps. Sorry if im not tech-savvy enough to clarify better in Tech terms.

CHEERS

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing the wi-fi battery drain issue as well. Wi-fi is supposed to use less battery than mobile data in the first place, so this clearly shouldn't be happening. I've seen similar several threads over on Asus's own ZenTalk forums. I'm fortunate in that I have unlimited data on T-Mobile, so I can just turn my wi-fi off--but this clearly will be a problem for those who don't have unlimited data. Hopefully Asus recognizes this problem and corrects it quickly.

Maybe this is causing the drain for me at home. I have a weaker signal but I turn wifi on .. I should try leaving wifi off and see what happens.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is my battery from last night. I used the phone on the forums and hangouts before bed.. Surprisingly very little drain over night.

Attachments

• 1433255842092.jpg
    1433255842092.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 20

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried adjusting the advanced Wi-Fi settings? This might help.

Attachments

• 1721.jpg
    1721.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 21

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't adjusted that--I normally keep that set to Always on every device I have, and no other device has this degree of wi-fi battery usage.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't adjusted that--I normally keep that set to Always on every device I have, and no other device has this degree of wi-fi battery usage.

This.
No other android phone, and I've had probably 20 in the last few years, have had this big of an issue with the wi-fi and battery life. But like I said, I returned mine and waiting for replacement. I'll post if any changes between the two.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine's getting worse. I had wifi off, a good data signal, and turned the screen off with no apps running as soon as I unplugged. 45 minutes later turned the screen on and had lost 8%. Verified in both the built-in battery stats and GSAM that no apps were using up the battery and the screen was off the whole time.

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
So what shows as using battery ?

Fred

Mine's getting worse. I had wifi off, a good data signal, and turned the screen off with no apps running as soon as I unplugged. 45 minutes later turned the screen on and had lost 8%. Verified in both the built-in battery stats and GSAM that no apps were using up the battery and the screen was off the whole time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non