Back cover needs its own thread

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
In case you are reading Asus .... You need to stop with the Alcatraz back cover. You obviously know this cover is nearly impossible to "pry off" since you say in the manual not to use tools to do so. I did have to use a plastic tool I once used with my old HTC Rezound. This Zenfone 2 cover, however, is the hardest cover I have ever had to work with. I thought for a minute it might be defective because it seemed glued shut.

Asus, NO reason for this. My Note 4 cover slips off in two seconds. There is no "prying" needed, nor tools.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Definitely agree. I painfully ripped off both my thumbnails to the point that both fingers were bleeding and it didn't budge at all. I then tried a plastic tool like you but mine broke without being able to open it. The only way I can pry mine off is using metal, which of course can only damage it. I have to use an eyeglass screwdriver and even then it's not easy to accomplish. Really ridiculous.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had finally gotten the cover off and then I needed to take it off again and it was still nearly impossible. I have left it in that flip case for now, as it is much easier to get to the back with the flip case than the phone case.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
You guys need to work out those fingers. It took me like 3 seconds to get the back cover off the first time. Don't be afraid to break anything... Get a finger nail in the slit and lift with a lot of quick pressure.

Posted via the Android Central App

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
For us oldtimers (agewise) things like this that need non arthritic strength and dexterity can be confusing.
I guess Asus figured the cover won't need removing more than once... :D

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Didn't know this was an issue for anyone... Even with my carpal tunnel, I have no trouble getting the back cover off.... Maybe my phone trusts me enough to let me in.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
You guys need to work out those fingers. It took me like 3 seconds to get the back cover off the first time. Don't be afraid to break anything... Get a finger nail in the slit and lift with a lot of quick pressure.

Trust me when I tell you that I did do exactly what you said but I bent my nail back and that was not pleasant, lol.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Then I would say some of us received phones with defective cases. It is possible because I even had issues with a tool. I have owned a number of smart phones. Never had a back case like this one.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I handed the phone to 3 different people to try to open it. They were all making fun of me not being to do it. None of them could get it to budge. They all think I was pranking them because it's clearly impossible to remove the cover. They are all still convinced I glued it shut or that it's a non-removable cover. I spent over an hour getting it open with a screwdriver - that's how bad it is.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Tried again a while ago the cover popped off much easier this time.
The phone was warmer from sitting out in the garden so I'm not sure if this made it easier to get off.
Prying it off still scares me a bit noticing the phone flexing a bit corner to corner.

Josh Exmoor

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have any issue with the back cover either. My flip cover (which replaced the rear cover when you install it) is a little firmer, but not annoyingly so. It's slightly more difficult than my 1st gen Moto G.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with skatergirl--my back cover was very difficult to pry open. There's just not much room for the fingernail to gain purchase. I've already scratched up that side of the phone a little bit with my efforts.

Trotter516

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine was plenty stiff but I just took my time. I just received a flip cover I ordered off eBay that takes the place of the back cover and it seems to be just as stiff. I have found that using both thumbnails in concert works best for me in removing it.

VietnamTom

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I also had trouble removing the back cover, i think it is actually easier with shorter fingernails

but I found an easy way to open it, even though the online manual says not to pry the microusb port, you can try to be careful and only pry off the cover part of the micro usb port and then it easily opens the rest of the cover