AT&T APN Settings - Not getting LTE Speeds

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I stopped into my local AT&T store and tried out some different things on the APN settings with the reps I know there. We even tried the "Nextgen" settings for AT&T, I manually checked for LTE network for AT&T and yet I am still getting only 6Mbps down and 700-900kbps up, yes that is less than 1Mbps up.

So I ask my fellow Zen Fone users what are the APN settings or checks and balances that you are doing and what are your speeds?

I have opted to make this my daily driver since it can do what I need, but the data speeds are killing me big time.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Here are my access settings for ATT. Getting LTE without issues. In addition to these settings you also have under cellular network setting, preferred network type you have 2G,3G,4G selected?

Attachments

• Access point 1.jpg
    Access point 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 44
  • Access Point 2.jpg
    Access Point 2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Access Point 3.jpg
    Access Point 3.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 44

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You WILL NOT get AT&T LTE on you phone unless your account is first provisioned with an AT&T LTE Phone. There is NO WAY around this. You must buy/borrow an AT&T phone that has LTE capability, put your SIM in that phone, and let the system provision your account for LTE automatically. This is NOT something that customer service, or a store clerk, can do for you. Once your account is provisioned for LTE (you will know because the LTE indicator will show up on the phone), you can then put the SIM card into your ZF2. At that point, the ZF2 will automatically select the "phone" APN, and you will get LTE (identified by the "4G" indicator).

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You WILL NOT get AT&T LTE on you phone unless your account is first provisioned with an AT&T LTE Phone. There is NO WAY around this. You must buy/borrow an AT&T phone that has LTE capability, put your SIM in that phone, and let the system provision your account for LTE automatically. This is NOT something that customer service, or a store clerk, can do for you. Once your account is provisioned for LTE (you will know because the LTE indicator will show up on the phone), you can then put the SIM card into your ZF2. At that point, the ZF2 will automatically select the "phone" APN, and you will get LTE (identified by the "4G" indicator).

This is true. I'm pretty sure Raptor has had several LTE devices on AT&T haven't you Raptor?

Posted via my ZenFone 2!

rpzenfone

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I am not the most tech savvy person but all your saying is take your sim put put it another phone (lte capable) then take it out and put it back in yours? It sounds too simple but maybe it is just that simple.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am not the most tech savvy person but all your saying is take your sim put put it another phone (lte capable) then take it out and put it back in yours? It sounds too simple but maybe it is just that simple.

Correct. That's the procedure if you are trying to use a zf2 on an at&t account that has not previously been provisioned for lte.

Posted via the Android Central App

nscian12

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You need to have an att imei # on your account, then put the sim card provisioned to that imei into your phone. What I did was I picked up a cheap lumia 635 and used the imei # then put that sim into my zenfone 2

Posted via the Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You can use the imei from an LTE display phone at the att store for that matter. Once your account is provisioned for LTE, you are good.

benualson

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
I just signed up with straight talk on AT&T. I just popped the SIM in, activated, & have 4G.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a H2o sim which is a ATT mvno in the data slot. Put in the correct apn settings for LTE and have it. I guess the rules are different for the mvno's

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This is true. I'm pretty sure Raptor has had several LTE devices on AT&T haven't you Raptor?

Posted via my ZenFone 2!

That is correct, I had a GS6 on AT&T so my account was provisioned for it, but I had to fall back to my flip phone for a couple weeks, etc but still that should not have impacted it. Given the data speeds simply suck for me and I can't get above H+ am I out of luck unless I jump around.

The issue is the only LTE capable device in the house and my last phone used nanoSIM's so that won't help since the ZF2 takes a MicroSIM so Ic can't do much about that.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info, so how do you register your phone on ASUS's site. I signed up this past weekend and tried to register it, but the model isn't listed there yet.

I had no trouble registering the phone the day I got it. I just checked and the model number is still there so it hasn't been removed. Not sure why you're not seeing it.

asus_prod_reg.png

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You know what I am on a VPN so I wonder if that is the issue. I will have to try logging out and then registering.

On the APN settings, still NOT getting LTE at all. I have to stop at my local ATT store about the LTE Registration thing on my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret