Zenfone 2 or Blu Pure XL

magnum003

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting ready to leave Verizon wireless for Cricket and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a flagship. I currently have the Note 2 on verizon, so I want a similarly sized phone with a better camera. The camera on the Note 2 is terrible. I don't think i've ever been able to get a non-blurry picture. My wife's M7 is light years ahead of it in the camera department. I realize that the Blu Pure XL isn't out yet, but I was hoping to start the discussion to see if people have already written it off or are considering a change. I'm leaning towards the Zenfone purely based on price (probably get one used on swappa or something).

thanks.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Blu Pure XL should be quite competitive. The camera on the Zenfone 2 was so-so. Also the bloatware on the Zenfone 2 is horrendous...good luck.

magnum003

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Great photos, but nothing is moving (kids, dogs, etc) and the lighting is perfect (not in a bar or at night). I'm not too worried about the camera on the zenfone (it can't be worse than my Note), more about the bloatware mentioned earlier. $350 is a lot to pay for a phone with questionable support...but then it's really cheap for a phone with a killer display. I've got a month before my vz contract is up, so hopefully there are some real world reviews by then.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
No sure why folks get so worked up about "bloatware" It's super easy to disable/remove it and move on. It's a non-issue in my opinion.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Bloatware is not a problem almost all can be disabled or uninstalled, unlike the loads of crap on my Samsung tablet.

Camera to me is the weakest feature.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm tempted and waiting for the RMA instructions for the exchange of my Zenfone2 right now. If the exchange doesn't resolve my problem, I can see myself returning the Zenfone2 and going after the Blu Pure XL, and had the Pure XL been on the market already, it would have been the one I'd have gotten because of the screen size. The 5.5 Zenfone2 is still okay, but I definitely prefer the larger screens. As for bloatware, it can be disabled-the functionality of the Zenfone is fine and I can speak to that. I like the phone very much and prefer to at this point be able to keep it since I already have it, but the issue for me is that I have two phone lines, and the second SIM slot on mine does not pick up a reliable signal in my home, but it works 99% everywhere else, so my concern is that it's not a hardware problem, but I'm asking for an exchange anyway just to see. I need to be able to receive calls on that second line and I can't when I'm at home, so clearly that's a huge problem. The signal drops left and right. Calls fail or can't be initiated in the first place-my SIM 2 sometimes totally X's out. Even when it doesn't, when I'm at home it's practically useless. Meantime I have no problem with the other SIM slot at all. There is a notion that it is connected to the fact that the Zenfone's second SIM slot only supports 2G and somehow this still is connected to phone calls as well, and if that's the case, my house must not like a 2G only SIM slot! So as long as BOTH the Blu Pure XL's SIM slots support all the higher bands, then I should be fine.
Asus does put out regular firmware updates and there is a pretty active user forum, so I am otherwise pleased with the Zenfone. I don't know a lot about Blu and what kind of firmware support they offer.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
People are saying the camera is weak - it's not bad. I've taken a lot of really nice shots. It's not as automatic as some cameras. It will tell you to switch to HDR or night mode. That's not automatic.

I love my Zenfone. Updates have fixed a lot of the early issues. The battery is still just okay and the screen isn't a Samsung, but the launcher is slowly improving and I'm happy with the updates. They are definitely working on improving the phone all the time.

Also, it's wicked fast. I haven't had an issue with lag. Period.

Posted via the Android Central App

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
So my replacement ZF2 is on the way and my original is en route back. I'm using my Note 3 in the interim with calls being forwarded from my second line to my main number until my new ZF2 arrives. I will hope that my problems with SIM 2 reception in my home were due to a faulty device somehow. I sure hope it works out and is fine. It is still a question mark as to what the real cause of poor call reception was-2G data in the SIM slot? People on AT&T forums theorize, but an AT&T rep told me that would not cause call reception problems, so who knows. If reception is fine on the replacement, then I'll know it was a defective phone. If not, then, the question will still remain. It still in any event is strange that my SIM 2 is virtually unusable in my house but then works fine almost everywhere else-that still points to something that doesn't sound 100% like a defective device, just very strange, but if a new device resolves the issue, I'll be quite happy, and I really hope that will take care of it. Now-to the point of responsibility for their product--- In the short several weeks I've owned the phone, I've had regular updates, so I do appreciate that Asus stays on top of that which is one thing in their favor. As long as my calls work on SIM 2, I will be good to go. I do confess I like the larger screen size but that's my eyes more than anything (I need reading glasses-it's nice to be able to glance sometimes without needing glasses). I'm also fine with the Zen UI-it doesn't bother me. Only thing is now I have to order another screen protector. I had a glass one that had the cutout to not interfere with the proximity sensor. I don't think re-using will work too well. Such is life.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well-my replacement has arrived and so far, it's only been a day I've had it on, and it seems better, although the two SIM slots at home don't show an equal signal like they do everywhere else like on my original phone. I haven't received any calls yet as it's the weekend and my second line, so it's too early to know for sure, but I made a few outbound calls and called into the voice mail as a test and it seems better though I am still seeing the second SIM X out on me at times for a brief second. When I go to check my voice mail, it skips the message too which is weird, which again, I wonder is due to reception issues. It then does go to the skipped message. I'm off work this week but will have my phone out and about to test in multiple locations. Right now the signal strength on SIM 1 is 3 bars at home and SIM 2 is only at 1 bar. I'm not too encouraged by that. What in the world can be so off with the reception in my house for that second sim slot? It works everywhere else okay. If it truly has some connection to the fact that SIM 2 only supports 2G data, then this will support me going after the Blu phone . AT&T claims that the 2G slot should have nothing to do with call reception though. Who knows-but then why is it the one with the problem, and why only at my house?

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Update. Things have worsened and are a no go for me. I'm planning on the Pure XL for sure now. MY SIM 2 has reverted to unusable like before. Replacement phone, replacement SIM doesn't matter. 2G is the issue. My area is too up to date obviously that 2G slots are too outdated. I plan to get the Pure XL which I believe has both LTE SIM slots.I'm very disappointed. I really like the ZF2 and wish this wasn't the case, but I can't use the second sim line on it when I'm anywhere near my home which renders things quite useless since I got this so that I could have both phone numbers on it. Today I got a new SIM card again, the firmware is up to date, though I have kept it up to date the whole time, it's a replaced ZF2 and all, and the problem is even worse. AT&T confirmed that the 2G slot is the problem. So this phone clearly is not usable as a dual SIM for me, and is going back to ASUS and I have to now take it up with them. But this now puts the Pure XL in prime position. I actually like the larger screen anyway, although at this point since I had the ZF2 already and was happy otherwise, I really wanted to just have that work out but it didn't. It's foolish that they put 2G in there so people might want to take note that. I didn't think it would matter just for phone calls and boy in my case have I been sadly mistaken. I can get calls in a lot of places, but I can't in and around my own home and it's a place I need to be able to on my second number so the phone has to go back, period. I can go back to my Note 3 and Windows phone until the Pure XL comes in. I'll have to get a nano SIM again for the Windows phone, and then another SIM when the Pure XL comes in, but that's life. Either that or forward my calls again like I did last week when I waited for the replacement ZF2.

Last edited:

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Blu does look like a nice phone, but I fear Blu won't offer many (if any truly worthwhile ) updates at all based on some reviews I've read online.

Sample review info:

While the processor itself is awesome, it is a Mediatek. That generally doesn't mean good things when it comes to updates (and mods). Maybe the company will change its ways with the Helio chips?

Good luck and I hope it works out. Thankfully I'm very happy with my Zen and have zero need for a second SIM card.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey there-yeah-count yourself VERY fortunate you don't need that second SIM slot. Once an area is upgraded, look out. In my case, thankfully things worked out-but that's because Amazon did right by me. I was outside of the timeframe for returns but they recognized that it was genuinely a problem that I couldn't have become aware of until the timing I did, because I was getting calls on SIM 2 fine in areas 30 miles west of where I live, thinking my phone was fine, but then when I started getting calls later in the day when I was actually at HOME, but , a few weeks later, that's when I found out that things were NOT fine. I had no way of knowing. And I had changed SIM cards twice and gone through a full RMA and several support chat sessions with AT&T so Amazon could see I really tried. But in the end, AT&T concluded that my area is upgraded and the 2G towers are shutting down bit by bit and therefore I'm not going to get a reliable connection in that 2G slot and that even includes just for phone calls. Well, that's totally worthless. It's disappointing as it's a great phone otherwise for those who only need one number. But as a dual SIM, let me tell you-it does not work and ASUS needs to make their next one with double LTE slots or just make it single SIM, period and lower the price because they are duping people into thinking it is functional as a dual SIM when there are people like me in upgraded tower areas. I wasted so much time with this, and ASUS doesn't think they owed me anything back. Amazon thank goodness thought of the customer experience. What is ASUS thinking of making that second SIM 2G? In any event, again, I am relieved as I got my money back and the phone is gone and on its way back to Amazon today already. I'm back on my Note 3 and using my cheap Alcatel actually on my second line right now since it uses a micro SIM. I do have a 1520 Lumia but it uses a nano SIM and I just don't feel like changing SIM cards again, then having to change again if I opt to get the Pure XL, and so forth-this is getting tiring! I happened to have the Alcatel from before when I added the second line before I decided to get a real phone for it so I kept it as a back-up. Glad I did-it's coming in handy in the interim.

Sent from my K010 using Android Central

viperchrisz4

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I heard they are coming out with a Zen 3 soon? Is this a rumor? Thanks

I'm pretty sure that's a rumor, no news I've seen as a direct successor, however there is the new $229 4GB z3560 model out now and in October we should be seeing the Zenfone 2 Zoom, Max, Laser, and Deluxe models on the shelves...

viperchrisz4

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with my Zenfone 2 $199 2GB model now, will probably be passing it to my gf in favor of the new $229 4GB z3560 model since it's the best value for my needs. Might be worth checking out if you don't need much on phone storage or the better processor- could save some decent cash. As for the camera it has gotten much better since updates, it's not fantastic but that's what my DSLR is for- I can easily get by with this as a point and shoot for daily pics/selfies etc... Nothing to complain about. And as for the BLU, other people here are correct when stating BLU is a mess when supporting their products. I'm still waiting for a Lolli update for my gf's Life 8 XL since July, no news, no comments... sucks because blu makes decent phones, I'm sure their new flagship will be great and all but still cannot beat the raw value behind the ASUS phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac