Poor Battery Life?

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
So for the fourth day in a row my Zenwatch 2 has been getting a max of about 13-15 hours of battery life. I've been trying different things to see how they effect the battery - always-on screen, different watch faces, more or less extras on the watch faces, but none seems to make any noticeable difference.

Anyone else getting poor battery life compared to what was advertised? I know I'm not gonna get the full amount Asus promised, but I was hoping for at least a full day (my days start at 5:30 AM).

This is my first smart watch, though. Are there any tricks to getting longer battery life from them?

sk8mdw

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
First thing I did was turn always-on Off. I went from 7AM till midnight yesterday and was at 14%.

I've gone from 7AM until 3:30 today and I'm at 76%.

It will definitely make it a full day for me, but it will have to be charged every night. Not a biggie to me; it sits between my Nexus 7 and Nexus 6, all three getting juice every night on my nightstand.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
First thing I did was turn always-on Off. I went from 7AM till midnight yesterday and was at 14%.

I've gone from 7AM until 3:30 today and I'm at 76%.

It will definitely make it a full day for me, but it will have to be charged every night. Not a biggie to me; it sits between my Nexus 7 and Nexus 6, all three getting juice every night on my nightstand.

I spent a day with always-on turned off. That gave me a few extra hours but it still would have died completely if I had waited until I plugged my phone in at the end of the day (about 16 hours for me).

I'm at 20% right now after 10 hours and 10 minutes of light use with the screen always on. I've been getting very few notifications to my phone today, too, so not much has been happening on my watch.

Tonight I'm going to uninstall the zenwatch manager app and spend a day without that.

sk8mdw

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
There were two mornings when I pulled the watch off of the charger and saw a notification that the zenwatch manager was not responding. The first day I did not reboot the watch immediately and the battery was draining very quickly.

The second day I rebooted the watch when I saw that notification and I got normal battery life.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm at 42% now at almost 2pm. Been off the charger since 6:45 am. Battery drain slowed down around 11ish when I received a message saying it's turning off Wi-Fi to save battery. So I guess that will help. Still very bad imo. Not going to save it from jumping back in the box and taking a trip back to the store lol.

Posted via the Android Central App

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I know I wasn't connected to wifi all day, but I haven't seen an option to turn it on or off anywhere. Is there an option to specifically turn it off?

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I know I wasn't connected to wifi all day, but I haven't seen an option to turn it on or off anywhere. Is there an option to specifically turn it off?

Yes, in Settings. Scratch that, it doesn't actually have an off setting strange...

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
A lot of reviews have said it takes a few charge cycles to get the watch to last a day or two with moderate use

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Uninstalled zenwatch manager and after a few hours of use I'm on track to get 20-21 hours so far. A little over two hours of use and only 9% battery drain. I'll try to use it a lot today to see if this holds up.

The watch face I liked was from the zenwatch manager, too...

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
This is my first wear as well. When I got the watch last week I struggled to get 8 hours from my battery. I hard reset the watch and turned off tilt to wake while keeping always on and card previews active with brightness at 5. Now my battery is very good. I have gone to bed at 40% this past 3 days while receiving emails or texts regularly from 8 to 6. I hope this helps.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
My watch has been on for 10 hours now and has 45% battery left. Max brightness, always-on screen, receiving all notifications, and I was playing with new watch faces all day.

The problem was definitely having the zenwatch manager app installed on my phone.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok the battery life on this thing sucks horribly. I'm losing 10% an hour. This is unacceptable to me. I have always on off. Gestures off. I can't find a tilt to view setting. Wifi is on so it Siri connects when I get home, but it automatically turns Wi-Fi off around 10:30am. All notifications are on because what's the point of this thing without them? Uninstalled zenwatch manager. nothing's working to save battery.

Just one more reason to return it and this experience just reinforces my opinion that smartwatches aren't ready for prime time yet.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Today is my first full day with my new ZenWatch 2. I took it off the charger at 7am at 100%. It's now at 1% at 4:30pm. That is bad. I have all the defaults settings: 3 brightness, wifi on, always-on screen on, zenwatch manager installed. I have been playing with it a lot today trying out different apps, etc, but battery life has to get better.

I think I'm not going to change anything for a couple of days to see what happens. After that I might uninstall the ZenWatch Manager, then try without wifi, and finally try with all-ways on turned off.

I've read a couple of articles from back in July that Android Wear 5.1.1 had a pretty bad battery draining bug in it. Does anyone know if that has been fixed? I could find a lot of articles about it being an issue from months ago, but no one seems to have reported a fix.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Today is my first full day with my new ZenWatch 2. I took it off the charger at 7am at 100%. It's now at 1% at 4:30pm. That is bad. I have all the defaults settings: 3 brightness, wifi on, always-on screen on, zenwatch manager installed. I have been playing with it a lot today trying out different apps, etc, but battery life has to get better.

I think I'm not going to change anything for a couple of days to see what happens. After that I might uninstall the ZenWatch Manager, then try without wifi, and finally try with all-ways on turned off.

I've read a couple of articles from back in July that Android Wear 5.1.1 had a pretty bad battery draining bug in it. Does anyone know if that has been fixed? I could find a lot of articles about it being an issue from months ago, but no one seems to have reported a fix.

I'd try uninstalling the zenwatch manager for a day and see if that helps. That upped my battery life from about 13 hours to 19-20. I also have everything else that drains a watch's battery turned on.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd try uninstalling the zenwatch manager for a day and see if that helps. That upped my battery life from about 13 hours to 19-20. I also have everything else that drains a watch's battery turned on.

Zenwatch manager didn't affect my battery life. Wifi was the big drain for me. Ever since I turned off Wi-Fi at about 11:30 I've been getting awesome battery life. I was at 55% then, it's 3:10 pm now and I'm at 43%. Wifi was definitely the problem.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Zenwatch manager didn't affect my battery life. Wifi was the big drain for me. Ever since I turned off Wi-Fi at about 11:30 I've been getting awesome battery life. I was at 55% then, it's 3:10 pm now and I'm at 43%. Wifi was definitely the problem.

You didn't mention how you turned wifi off. Every time I go to turn it on it seems as if it's been off, and I've never gotten a notification that it's turning it off automatically.

I can already get a very long day of constantly playing with it in on one charge, but if I can forget to charge it overnight and still have it on for at least the morning then that would be amazing.

matthew2926

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Just got mine today. My settings are: default brightness (4 I think), WiFi OFF, Always-on screen OFF, Wrist Gestures ON. All other settings are default. I'm also using a black analog watch face with white ticks. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Side note: WiFi can be turned off by going to Settings>WiFi>Automatic and switching it OFF. Basically, click the word "Automatic" in WiFi settings and it should prompt you to turn off WiFi entirely on the watch.

Edit: I also have Zenwatch Manager installed.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
You didn't mention how you turned wifi off. Every time I go to turn it on it seems as if it's been off, and I've never gotten a notification that it's turning it off automatically.

I can already get a very long day of constantly playing with it in on one charge, but if I can forget to charge it overnight and still have it on for at least the morning then that would be amazing.

Sorry Halifax, what Mathew said above is what I did to turn off Wi-Fi to. My settings are the same as his, but I also turned off the gesture thing as I find it gimmicky and I don't use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21