WiFi, what's the point? WiFi, what's the point

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

My apologies if this has been previously discussed. I looked, but not very hard, and didn't find anything.

So, I assumed, wrongly midst likely, that if my ZW2 and GS6 are connected to the same WiFi that I can walk away from the phone, out of Bluetooth range, and continue to be able to send and receive msgs. That does not appear to be the case.

Additionally, the WiFi turns itself off saying it is doing so to save battery life.

So, what exactly do I get with the WiFi that I don't get while in Bluetooth range of the phone?

Thanks and sorry for my lameness. New to Android Wear.

Posted via the Android Central App

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Cloud sync is enabled. Though the watch is not staying connected to WiFi. Did validate it is set to automatic.

Cheers

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Ok. So the power save time was set to 15 minutes. Changed it to the max of 180. See how long that works.

Cheers

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Wifi should allow you to continue to receive notifications and send replies while out of bluetooth range. If it's not working then there's a problem somewhere. While you're in bluetooth range, I don't think wifi does anything except drain your battery.

I turned off wifi on my ZenWatch 2 a long time ago. I found with wifi on I got ~5 hours of battery life. With wifi off I get ~30 hours of battery life. This was all before the Marshmellow update, so I don't know if it's gotten any better. I occasionally turn wifi on if I'm in a situation where I away from my phone and need it, but I just couldn't leave it on all the time with the battery hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox