Sudden battery drain

itm

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
My Zenwatch usually consumes <50% of its battery during a typical day. From time to time however it suddenly loses all of its charge in a couple of hours.

Yesterday for example there was 70% battery remaining at 8pm, but by 9:45pm it was down to 13%, even though there was nothing unusual about that period - it was worn on my wrist at home all day, and was in close proximity to my phone all day.

My Build number is LCA43.

The battery stats from the Android Wear app don't give any clue re. what caused it - there are only 2 lines:
- Watch idle: 5%
- Screen: 2%

Does anyone have any idea how to diagnose/fix this?

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I saw similar odd quick battery drains as well... humming right along all day, then around 33%-50% the watch would drain within minutes. Sometimes just shutting off.
One thing I noticed though that seems to fix the fast drain, as well as give me a full 3 days between charges, is taking the tilt-to-wake feature off. Now the watch only turns its screen on when I want it to, not every time my wrist hits a certain angle. I find that I get the full 100%-0% range of battery with this too.

itm

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I saw similar odd quick battery drains as well... humming right along all day, then around 33%-50% the watch would drain within minutes. Sometimes just shutting off.
One thing I noticed though that seems to fix the fast drain, as well as give me a full 3 days between charges, is taking the tilt-to-wake feature off. Now the watch only turns its screen on when I want it to, not every time my wrist hits a certain angle. I find that I get the full 100%-0% range of battery with this too.

Thanks. Since I was sitting watching TV at the time I doubt that the tilt-to-wake option would have drained it so quickly, but I'll try turning it off and see if I get a recurrence.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a lot of apps installed on the watch? If so, perhaps one of them was inadvertently opened while you were watching TV, and kept chugging along doing whatever it was doing, thus using battery.

itm

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a lot of apps installed on the watch? If so, perhaps one of them was inadvertently opened while you were watching TV, and kept chugging along doing whatever it was doing, thus using battery.

I have a few, but can't work out how any of them could have inadvertently been opened. I'm pretty sedentary when I'm watching TV!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes all it takes is brushing the watch up against something else to bring up the app drawer. Then another touch might launch an app.

itm

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't imagine that would have happened. Even it it did, I would have expected to have seen some evidence that an app had been opened. If it drained alot of power wouldn't it also have shown up on the battery stats page in the Android Wear app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's true. I have noticed rare occasions when my Zenwatch's battery unexpectedly drains quickly. It often seems to be after I've been playing around with an app, which is why I was wondering. I always go back to the watchface, but I just wonder if the app is somehow still active.

Willber G

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had this problem on occasion, I find the watch gets very warm while it is happening. I restart the watch and that seems to cure it which suggests that there is indeed an app running in the background causing it. The battery stats never reveal anything, though.

itm

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually the Zenwatch battery life is excellent most of the time. On a typical day I still have 50-60% charge remaining at the end of the day (11pm).

I tried turning off the tilt-to-wake function about 10 days ago, and haven't had this problem since. I'll keep an eye on it...

mbilloo

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
i have weird problems with my zenwatch's battery. its hardly 10 days old, sometimes it would run perfect but sometimes would drain and power off. Sometimes when im charging battery will go up or down or show random readings while charging like from 40 it will become 53 then 68 then 55 etc. Also after a restart the battery reading is different.

secondly i have the wist wakeup feature set to off but still when i move my wrist the watch wakes up. i have tried resetting it.

lastly can anyone tell me whats the latest Build number? mine is LCA43
and latest android wear, mine is: 1.3.0.2160025

thanks a lot.

Mohammed Gulfraz

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi I've been having the exact same problem as you. About 2 times a week my watch turns off only a few hours into my shift at work. It's so annoying because I can't keep my phone with me at work so I rely on my watch. I always leave my house in the morning with 100% battery and I normally have 30% left before I go to bed. Please tell me you found a fix for it? Thanks

Btw it's Asus ZenWatch 3 on Android Wear 2.0. thanks.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
It has happened to me twice with my huawei watch 2. it was on 60% and. I topped up the charge to 100%. then between 8pm and 11pm it suddenly died according to watch stats. i woke at 3.30am and my watch was dead. 0%. all i was doing was sleeping. the watch has tilt to wake off and normally i get a day and a bit from my watch. it literally went from full to dead in 3 hours!! I have only had the watch for a few weeks. got it from Very Catalogue so dunno about a return right now. My Apple Watch never did this. I miss it but my iPhone died so I had to get an android watch to go with my phone.