Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Root - Stock AT&T 4.5.91 (2.3.4 Gingerbread) unrooted w/ lock

OK thanks for the reply. I've been reading about it, so as long as I don't try to downgrade later everything is fine?

do you still need to unlock the bootloader manually after this root method.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyutah22 View Post
    I believe CWM is available. There's a thread on xda that has an automated script to unlock bl, root, enable tethering, enable webtop hack, and install CWM all in one package.
    Can you post a link, and as someone else asked does this unlock the boot loader.

hi guys I cant seem to find a definite answer to this anywhere... is it possible to unroot the phone? how would I go about unrooting it? has anyone tried to unroot and if it was successful? I want to root my phone but I need to know exactly if it can be reversed later at any moment. thanks!

noone has an answer? interesting.. im planning to install Chainfire 3D and it requires root. hasnt anyone unrooted their Atrix on 4.5.91 build?

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

can we do a video on this please?

I dont know what Iam doing wrong... the first step works Then i reboot the device then i type adb comand and it give me an error right away.. I trieed closing comand prompt, ive trued redoing everything i dont know mybe i have a special Phone lol sorry for bad typing my son is in my lap...

I will retry this and let you know what happens but if someone could giveme some info of what i could try doing or am doing wrong I feel like im being a dumbarse

*EDIT* After rebooting from fast boot i never checked NONE for usb mode... so yes i was a dumbarse lol

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HARD WORK CUZ THIS WORKS!!
    Last edited by Keepinitdroid; 08-29-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Missread posting

Mine just gets stuck at (waiting for device) My phone says "starting fastboot protocol support" but does nothing. I have superuser and usb debugging on. what am i doing wrong????

Thumbs down Re: Root - Stock AT&T 4.5.91 (2.3.4 Gingerbread) unrooted w/ lock

Quote Originally Posted by Silberc View Post
    If I brick my phone, my lawyer will be contacting you.

You sir/madam are a moron....

Use at your own risk as all mods are risky!

Quote Originally Posted by revoracer3 View Post
    You sir/madam are a moron....

Use at your own risk as all mods are risky!
    Guess what?

UMAD.

I followed directions and was able to root the phone, but now I cant connect to 3G/4G. I can only get edge to occasionally connect. I've checked that the APNs are correct and have even tried a factory reset and still have the same issue. Can anyone help me?

Mine stays on waiting for device and doesnt move after that. Is there something to do? or am i doing something wrong?

edit:

never mind its done now not sure what happen.
    Last edited by Blopez21; 09-06-2011 at 02:39 PM.

hmmm... after "cd C:\root
    fastboot flash preinstall root.img
    fastboot reboot " my screen is stuck with "flashing stormgr partition: PIA"

Do I just wait. egad... what have i done?

Noob. didn't see that "fastboot reboot" didn't get entered at command prompt...whew.

works like a charm! thanks...

Thx!! Worked like a charm!!

I wanted to put some info in this thread to answer the question I had before giving this a try. First off, thanks a million to all the people who figure these things out. I am definitely an "anroid" noob and even though I flashed my old Windows phones over and over I was really nervous about doing this. I followed all the instruction above and it couldn't have been easier. The question I had and couldn't find an answer for was:

Would it erase my phone? The answer is "no". After I was finished I couldn't even tell anything had changed at all. I was pretty sure I did something wrong and it didn't work because nothing on the phone changed in any way. Obviously wanting to save all the stuff on my phone I backed it up just in case but there was no need to restore. I had to search for a way to know if my phone was rooted because i couldn't tell. I found an App in the Market that let me know it was rooted.

After doing the root I am now able to activate my HotSpot feature! I'm really excited to see what other cool things my phone can do now.

Thanks again for making this so easy.

Just read the thread. Still have a few questions before I take the plunge.

I realize unrooting is as easy as a factory reset, what I'm wondering is if there is any evidence left over that will let ATT know it was rooted (I'm paying for insurance).

Can anyone recommend a "Now that you're rooted" guide? ie tips and tricks; I'm sure there are loads of things rooting will do that I can't imagine. Though I'm just doing it for webtop & screen caps, anything that will make my android experience better is always fun.

Thanks all!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by ISS2 View Post
    This works flawlessly! Having so much fun with android right now...
    +1 :-) worked so amazingly ... I was slightly surprised. I've always had problems rooting (even jailbreaking) ... good stuff.

ok im not sure what im doing wrong it keeps telling me waiting for device i have the usb settings set to none and its in debug mode

Cool but what do you achieve by doing this

Hey I tried rooting my phone (atrix 4g)
    the system version is 4.5.91
    and android version is 2.3.4
    After using the root check app this message comes up:

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.
    Superuser.apk - com.noshufou.android.su - version 2.3.6.1 - Added clear log to menu in log tab, More languages, Bugfixes is installed!
    System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin
    The adb binary is set to default shell user access as a standard non-root user
    Standard su binary location: ls -l /system/bin/su:
    /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
    Standard su binary location: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
    /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
    Alternate su binary location:
    /sbin/su: No such file or directory
    Alternate su type binary location:
    /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
    SU binary not found or not operating properly

Can i get a little help please ?
    I followed the instructions at wiki root
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by keith.t View Post
    Just read the thread. Still have a few questions before I take the plunge.

I realize unrooting is as easy as a factory reset, what I'm wondering is if there is any evidence left over that will let ATT know it was rooted (I'm paying for insurance).

Can anyone recommend a "Now that you're rooted" guide? ie tips and tricks; I'm sure there are loads of things rooting will do that I can't imagine. Though I'm just doing it for webtop & screen caps, anything that will make my android experience better is always fun.

Thanks all!
    Keith
    As far as guides go, here are some basics:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/someti...%80%99t-answer
    http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa
    You can find more by googling it.

There first two basic things to do IMO is to enable tethering(which you can do without root I think, cant remember) and enabling Gtalk video chat over 3g. Google will lead you to directions for both.

how do i know if my bootloader is unlocked? im trying to get cynamod on but when i tried to do bootload unlocker it wont let me.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

I just want to root so I can remove the bloat. All about stream lining
    Trying the ONE X again...
    iPhone 4 (RIP)
    Blackberry Torch (BES email)
    NEW MBA 11", NEW 4G iPad 16G
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast