Successfully Removed "unlocked" During Boot

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I took a dive into unlocking, rooting, and installing CM7 for the Atrix 4G. All was successful after several attempts, but i kinda like Moto's overlay much better than CM7, except for Moto's whole BLUR account thing. I then used Android Recovery to restore to my original ROM, phone was still unlocked.

Anyway....

I plugged my Atrix into my Windows XP machine and went to Moto's site, downloaded and ran the Motorola Software Update exe. The software ends up not finding a software update, but asks you if you would like to install the current version again. So i did, and after about 10 minutes, my Atrix is back to Moto stock Gingerbread and no "unlock" during boot. I have restarted the phone several times to make sure it was not a fluke. I downloaded a terminal from the market and type "su" and received "permission denied".

The reason i tried this is because all the websites that i have searched have came back with a "you cannot remove the unlock during bootup". If some of you decide to try this, please post your results.

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I should have titled this forum topic as "Relocked My Atrix 4G".

What this solution already posted somewhere within this thread?

I have just done the whole process again, and again.... no more "unlock". So it wasn't just a fluke.

sgajjala

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Would like to know by doing factory reset will lock again. I would appreciate the procedure to unlock if you have one.
Thanks,

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Would like to know by doing factory reset will lock again. I would appreciate the procedure to unlock if you have one.
Thanks,

So you are looking to RElock your Atrix? If you currently have the Motorola Atrix stock ROM running and the phone is "unlocked", you can go ATRIX 4G Software Update Page - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA. Make sure device drivers are installed and PC recognizes the Atrix. The software update is automatic. It will tell you that NO updates are found, but then it asks if you would like to reinstall the STOCK software. This will remove the UNLOCK for the startup screen and restore to factory settings.

Are you using a different ROM than Motorola's? Because that is a different procedure. If you are, reply back and i will post my process that worked.

Rhick

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Xmatter.

Did you also have a non-stock recovery (CWM for example) on your phone prior to running the Motorola Software Update?

Thanks in advance,
Rhick

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Xmatter.

Did you also have a non-stock recovery (CWM for example) on your phone prior to running the Motorola Software Update?

Thanks in advance,
Rhick

I had RedPill on my phone but had to restore through ClockWork to Moto's software, then plug phone to PC for Moto to relock the bootloader. One time though, I erased the external SD card by accident leaving me with no stock recovery ROM. In this case, I have to download the FULL ROM from Moto's site (do not choose automatic upgrade), then place that ROM on the SD card and flash. It still had a locked bootloader at that point. At that point I connected to PC and did the auto upgrade through Moto's software and that relocked the bootloader and put everything back to stock. Please post results.

Reactions: Rhick

Rhick

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Success!
I also downloaded and installed the Motorola Software Update.exe from Motorola. Everything ran as you described. The only thing I did different was to unroot and uninstall Superuser before I ran Motorola Software Update. My phone now boots with no "unlocked" on the boot screen and everything appears to be stock.

Nice post xmatter, thanks!

Rhick

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, glad it worked for you. I could not find anything on the web about "relocking" the Atrix. So I just decided to reverse engineer the unlock process and thankfully it worked.

pcp135

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I had RedPill on my phone but had to restore through ClockWork to Moto's software, then plug phone to PC for Moto to relock the bootloader. One time though, I erased the external SD card by accident leaving me with no stock recovery ROM. In this case, I have to download the FULL ROM from Moto's site (do not choose automatic upgrade), then place that ROM on the SD card and flash. It still had a locked bootloader at that point. At that point I connected to PC and did the auto upgrade through Moto's software and that relocked the bootloader and put everything back to stock. Please post results.

Just to be clear, when you ran the Moto software, you had a non-stock recovery installed on your phone, correct?

I have recently rooted the Atrix and want to put CM rom on it. On my LG Optimus, I could flash Clockwork recovery and flash stock recovery back if I wanted. It was a simple process. For Atrix, I have not seen stock recovery anywhere yet. So if I unlock and flash Clockwork, I want to know whether this tool requires stock recovery or it doesn't care about recovery.

nelson1979

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
HI. I'm on CM7 and wanna go back to stock so I can send my phone to Motorola. What can I do? Install 4.5.141 fritcake and then use motorola's update or run from SD Card? I don't want to hard brickit!! Thanks!!

ax3mll

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

You said that you 'download[ed] the FULL ROM from Moto's site (do not choose automatic upgrade)', where on the Moto site can you find ROMs to download?

Thanks

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Im in Nelson's boat, Im running CM7 and want to go back to stock. I downloaded the moto software onto my sd card and tried flashing using clockwork recovery but something goes wrong and it aborts. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, any tips would be appreciated? The version I'm trying to flash isBlur_Version_83.4.5.141.MB860.ATT.en.US.zip, I also have tried Blur_Version_91.4.5.141.MB860.ATT.en.US.zip and that aborts too.

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
This is what I get...Installing update package?
File_getprop: failed to stat ?/system/build.prop?: No such file or directory
E:Error in /sdcard/Blur_Version_91.4.5.141.MB860.ATT.en.Us.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted