I rooted!!! Is there a free wireless tether app?

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
"you don't need the app for tethering, go here for instructions"

You may not need the app. but those instructions actually can't be run on the phones that have shipped, and won't work. Maybe in all the subsequent messages there are some corrections--but that dog don't hunt. Try it yourself.

[UPDATE]
The dog can hunt. There are updates posted later, and the phones are being erratic. Apparently something has to reset in the AT&T system, or the phone has to reboot, or both, before the WiFi hotspot can be enabled on the phone. Try the procedure with the corrections, if it won't run a hotspot, try again the next day after a reboot of the phone. That seems to make it happen.

Last edited:

Sigmund_Droid

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
i have a question about the rooted tether app. i'm on verizon, and i have not rooted my phone yet, just because at this time i have no reason to. the only reason i'd root is for free wireless tethering. is there any way that verizon could turn around and charge me for using wireless tether, even though it's through a third-party app and not the one that is preloaded on the phone and "official?" can anyone shed some light on this for me? has anyone's carrier thrown a hissy fit for you getting around their charge for tether?

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Sigmund, you must understand that all the cellular companies are wholely owned Al-Qaeda subsidiaries. They are terrorist organizations.
Huh? No, seriously, the ceulluar companies rely on terrorizing their rubes, ergh, customers, about everything. They ALL claim that they can and will detect tethering and if they detect tethering--or streaming audiovideo, or wifi sharing, or anything else that they offer to sell you at extra cost--that they WILL CHARGE YOU FOR IT and charge you for the highest rate and longest period.
Sure sounds like terrorism to me.

Can they catch you? Probably, since all internet traffic consists of packets, and each packet has a header identifying the source and destination and sequence, so it is fairly easy to run the packets (or the packet log that every server keeps) through a program to sort, process, and identify what they were.

Will they BOTHER to catch you? Given what you hear online, it sounds like they routinely audit random lines, like an IRS audit. Maybe it is one in ten customers, maybe one in a thousand. Lots of folks get away with it but the answer is YES, they CAN CATCH YOU if they bother to try.

Supposedly apps like PDAnet can't be caught--since they run on the phone and reroute the traffic from it. But in practice, someone could still look at the traffic, analyze the traffic, and conclude "Yeah, that's going someplace besides the phone" and charge you for it.

Worry, don't worry, argue, pay, don't pay, your choice.

I'd still say to call Homeland Security and report it as domestic terrorism.<G>

Smokeaire

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
"you don't need the app for tethering, go here for instructions"

You may not need the app. but those instructions actually can't be run on the phones that have shipped, and won't work. Maybe in all the subsequent messages there are some corrections--but that dog don't hunt. Try it yourself.

[UPDATE]
The dog can hunt. There are updates posted later, and the phones are being erratic. Apparently something has to reset in the AT&T system, or the phone has to reboot, or both, before the WiFi hotspot can be enabled on the phone. Try the procedure with the corrections, if it won't run a hotspot, try again the next day after a reboot of the phone. That seems to make it happen.

Glad you searched the thread a little more....I've been using both methods, each work well.
I'm not sure what all the other APN settings are for, but it was nice to have the custom included.

flipteg

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
here's another question, i got the wireless tethering to work in the Anroid's built in app by changing the APN. with my AT&T enabled Atrix, i can tether my Nexus One to it and share the Internet access.

i don't want to keep using this feature this way since it seems like the software is checking on AT&T's side if my account has a valid tether plan or not. i'm not gonna argue if they can catch it or not, but i just don't want to keep using it.

therefore, i installed Barnacle and Wireless Tether. when using these software, neither of the two shows up on the Nexus One. upon further reading, it seems like Barnacle and Wireless Tether gives out an ad hoc network. apparently, most Android devices can not use this. most Android devices can only connect via a real access point.

if the built in app can make the Atrix appear like a real access point for devices that can't see ad hoc networks, are there other wireless programs that can do this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non