Avin Avant 2: Probably the coolest Android head unit I've ever seen.

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm the BT echo is fixed. I also noticed that the unit volume is saved now. Whatever volume you had at power down is the volume at start up now.... instead of defaulting to volume = 10.

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm the BT echo is fixed. I also noticed that the unit volume is saved now. Whatever volume you had at power down is the volume at start up now.... instead of defaulting to volume = 10.

I hope that this is on the update that Tommie says is on the way for my unit, as I have the same issue. I have the unit for the Honda CRV so its a little different.

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Glad to hear the BT echo is fixed. I'll find out if my no sound issue is fixed. If it's not, I'm sending my unit in for the warrenty and getting a new one. I can't stand not having any sound whenever I turn on my car. It's like Russian roulette. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't.

coop74

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to use a USB splitter below the dash and ad say 32 Gig card to be left permanty as storage. With big off line nav packages you can burn up the stock space quickly. I would also attempt to map my dash cam files to there as well?

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to use a USB splitter below the dash and ad say 32 Gig card to be left permanty as storage. With big off line nav packages you can burn up the stock space quickly. I would also attempt to map my dash cam files to there as well?
The Avant 2 does support USB hubs. I tried out a cheap non-powered USB hub and it worked fine so it should not be a problem. Storing your maps/dash cam videos on USB should be possible if the program gives you the option to save to added memory.

coop74

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
The Avant 2 does support USB hubs. I tried out a cheap non-powered USB hub and it worked fine so it should not be a problem. Storing your maps/dash cam videos on USB should be possible if the program gives you the option to save to added memory.

My concern is having to use USB next time to install an upgrade and having two connected

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Just take one out before you install updates. Also, I believe you could download an app to your phone, transfer it's .zip file to your pc, put it on a USB drive, and plug it into your usb hub, and it should work.

coop74

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My original plan was to leave USB drive attached to port below dash, and not have ready access to remove it. That does not appear to be an issue...

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I installed the update that had in the change logs that it addressed the Bluetooth issue, but it's still a problem for me. Phone calls on the unit are worthless, I end up just going back to my speakerphone. Just curious if this update fixed Bluetooth for anyone else.

I have been trying to find alternatives, but the only option I have found is tablet talk but I can't get that to work on the unit.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I installed the update that had in the change logs that it addressed the Bluetooth issue, but it's still a problem for me. Phone calls on the unit are worthless, I end up just going back to my speakerphone. Just curious if this update fixed Bluetooth for anyone else.

I have been trying to find alternatives, but the only option I have found is tablet talk but I can't get that to work on the unit.

I used to use the Bluetooth as well, but people told me it echoed too much so I would just use the BT to alert me of calls so I wouldn't miss it. I haven't tried it with the last update though so I'll try..

coop74

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
i had the echo and after the last patch mine was gone. A couple of things, watch call volume and i use the factory mic in the radio face.

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I am using the units mic. I had asked Tommie if the external mic would help and he said no. I'll try again with lowered volume.

coop74

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone found a way to remark out the launcher they use and substitute your own. The stock launcher is not bad but it is not how i want my to operate. I prefer native android or potentially one of the other launchers designed for cars.

tubaprde

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to have the HU dial via your iphone (paired with bluetooth) when you click on a number within a web browser or within the Yelp app?

You know what I'm talking about? With the iphone you can just click on that phone number within yelp and it will automatically dial. But when I try to do this with the HU it I get an error message that says: "No app found to open URL"

Tommy, do you know?

TT_Vert

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask you a few questions?
1. Can you set a certain app to be the default navigation program (IE press the navigation button and it opens Waze?)
2. Can you change the color of the buttons?
3. Will this use any android app? (Will it display Pandora for example like it would on a phone w/ album art, etc?)
4. Do you know what version of android these are on? I think I read 4.4 somewhere but I don't know.
5. If on 4.4 do you know if these guys have any thought of getting up into 5.x or 6.x?
6. Have you found a manual online anywhere? I'd like to see what all features this has.
7. Do you know the OD of the bezel that will actually have to fit through a double din hole? I have a car in which the double din fits my AVIC-Z140 perfectly but it may or may not fit this unit w/o gaps (There is no bezel I can add to compensate for undersize)
Thanks for this, I think I actually saw this on a Dodge board of some sort.

Thanks
Dave

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
1. Yes. Very simple to do in settings.
2. No, you're stuck with the grey. It's not bad though!
3. Yup itll display it great, just like it's in landscape mode on a tablet.
4 & 5. Yup it's on 4.4.1 I think. Nah they want to keep it on that as far as I know. It would just cause alot of problems they'd have to fix to update it. They did offer firmware updates for their actual radio, so you do get updates on the radio.
6. Not sure, there should be one on the website. If not, shoot them a message on their website and they'll be happy to send one over. There really nice guys there.
7. I do not know it. It depends on what car you are driving. Mine is a Dodge charger. It should work with just the eBay double din radio bezel kit. It fits perfectly on the top and bottom, and just a little space on the side which is fine. Ill measure the diameter of my bezel for ya and post back.

WartookMan

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Been looking at various head units for a 2012 B7 Passat. I keep coming back to the AVIN Avant-2. Had a quick support discussion yesterday asking about Dual Zone - this could be a show stopper.

Apparently it was able to display GPS on the head unit while displaying a DVD on the rear monitors (if attached). It could only show DVD on the rear, so this wasn't seen to be a popular design.

Not sure what you would display on the rear of it wasn't a DVD... GPS for rear passengers? Surely they could see the front screen.

This is exactly what I'm after, however the head unit apparently now mirrors to the rear screens - which is very limited and removes any "dual zone" functionality. This would mean if I'm looking at navigation my kids won't see the movie in the back. Or while I'm driving the movie will be displaying in the front which is illegal in both Australia and New Zealand.

Is there any way around this? Can the rear screens be configured to display both independently OR mirror the front? Thoughts?

Pete.

Posted via the Android Central App

ToddB713

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Hey, great forum folks! Super helpful. I had a couple of questions about my new unit.

1. Is it possible to tether an iPhone via USB to use my iPone's data connection?
2. Any idea what the most current firmware for the radio app is? Wondering if I can update it for better reception.

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I believe you posted the same USB/iPhone question on one of my Youtube videos. My response from that video is pasted below. I have installed two firmware updates to the radio since I bought it (don't know what version I am running now) and I have never noticed an improvement in radio reception. I am guessing the limits of FM reception in the Avin are hardware related which means reception will never get better.

From my Youtube video:
I don't know if an iPhone can share its data connection over a cable. I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. The alternate plan would be to run a wifi hotspot on your iPhone and then have the Avin connect to the wifi hotspot. I no longer use USB tethering to share my phone data connection to my Avin. When my phone connects via bluetooth to my Avin, I have an app (Llama) automatically turn on my wifi hotspot on my phone (Nexus 6). The Avin is always looking for wifi connections so within a few seconds the Avin sees the wifi connection and connects to my phone. This is handy since it is automatic and lets me have data to the Avin without any effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress