How long to wait before opening radiator cap?

murdocthc

May 18, 2010
Visit site
When it cools down and there is no steam...either that or you can pop it while its still hot to let the pressure out and let it cool down faster

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Reminds me of the time I had to pull over and change my tire on the side of Interstate 87 at 3AM in a near fricken blizzard because I had a flat.

kc8flb

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
haha, that is what I used to do, worked everytime, just have to becareful.

Exactly! The key is to use a towel draped over everything to deflect the initial steam burst. Putthe towel over the cap, turn cap enough to open cap to first position and get out of the way!

flcb7

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
little trick if your too low on coolant and you don't want to blow hot steam in your face. Take your reservoir take and fill it with cold water. Flip it upside down and squeeze the water into the radiator. will cool of faster so you can pop the cap sooner than later. That it if your reservoir is removable. Mine in on my honda is..It just clips into place.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! The key is to use a towel draped over everything to deflect the initial steam burst. Putthe towel over the cap, turn cap enough to open cap to first position and get out of the way!

This is what I always did. The bigger and thicker the towel the better. As long as its doubled or even quadrupled over, and you bunch it around the cap and turn you'll be fine. Gloves are a good idea in addition.

Sent via VM670

stdeane

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
little trick if your too low on coolant and you don't want to blow hot steam in your face. Take your reservoir take and fill it with cold water. Flip it upside down and squeeze the water into the radiator. will cool of faster so you can pop the cap sooner than later. That it if your reservoir is removable. Mine in on my honda is..It just clips into place.

I would think, if it's out of water, put water in the reservoir like you said, and it should suck it up by itself.
Also, if you are near a hose when you're overheated, spray water on the radiator to cool things down so the cap can be removed.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk

ducatirider

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
If you can squeez the top hose to the radiator easily
Then you can removed the cap
But still take precautions

Posted via the Android Central App

afazel

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
...Also, if you are near a hose when you're overheated, spray water on the radiator to cool things down so the cap can be removed.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk

This seems like a bad idea. You don't want to cool it off so fast that it cracks the radiator.

I've never tried it, so I don't know if that's a risk. Maybe with all the surface area it's not that big of a deal?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173