What kind of auto racing are you into?

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I do wheel to wheel racing currently. I am part of a team of friends and we race the 24 Hours of Lemons every year and it is a ton fo fun.

I used to be into drag racing. Had a 1996 Eclipse GSX that I raced from 99-01 that was pretty slow (13s) but I did a lot of bracket racing and won a couple trophies and some money. For fun I picked up a 1992 Eagle talon and made that into an 11 second car that was my daily driver. I kind of got out of the whole modifying/racing scene for a while until we started doing Lemons 4 years ago.

I also own a 1994 Esprit S4 that is mildly modified that I have tracked with the local clubs before but has been relegated to street duty to keep her reliable.
Other than that, I am into Rally and F1 and I have been to a couple races for each.

Last edited:

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
F1 and WRC. Indy if its a street track not a fan of ovals. some of me and my evo at play.

Attachments

• DSC_30501.jpg
    DSC_30501.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0603.jpg
    DSC_0603.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 19

oyy0

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
All SCCA sanctioned racing is good to go with me. I like it all, as long as it has cars going fast. Not really into Monster truck stuff but will still watch it cause they are 'racing' also.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
For me its wrc and F1 but mainly F1 (ferrari-Alonso) also support Lotus too as Kimi Raikkonen was one of my old favorites and let's be honest lotus isn't full of themselves like Ferrari and redbull.

WRX13

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Love me some rally and Formula 1. Hoping to go to an F1 race for the first time next year (Montreal, New York, Texas? I can't figure out where they're staying and leaving).

I also want to get into rallycross or autocross, but northern New England has a little less going on than the rest of the country.

KsilverFlagger

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Formula 1 Sports cars (Rolex ALMS, Lemans ECT.) SCCA club, Trans Am,
I am a race flagger at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen NY
So I guess I'm a bit of a fanatic

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
As a spectator any type of club racing, Grand Am, pretty much any type of sports car or touring car racing on a road course. I'm not really into purpose-built race series (NASCAR, F1, etc).

As a driver I run a couple HPDEs a year if I have time up at Summit Point. I used to autocross pretty regularly but the prep time vs. seat time ratio just wasn't doing it for me. I've got a lightly prepped Miata that's track-ready, but I haven't gotten to taken it out yet this year (have two events scheduled coming up, though). I've been trying to get a team together for 24 Hour of Lemons, but the last two attempts really never got off the group. There's someone at my office trying to get team going around an old 944, but there are some logistics to work out first.

KsilverFlagger

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
As a spectator any type of club racing, Grand Am, pretty much any type of sports car or touring car racing on a road course. I'm not really into purpose-built race series (NASCAR, F1, etc).

As a driver I run a couple HPDEs a year if I have time up at Summit Point. I used to autocross pretty regularly but the prep time vs. seat time ratio just wasn't doing it for me. I've got a lightly prepped Miata that's track-ready, but I haven't gotten to taken it out yet this year (have two events scheduled coming up, though). I've been trying to get a team together for 24 Hour of Lemons, but the last two attempts really never got off the group. There's someone at my office trying to get team going around an old 944, but there are some logistics to work out first.
I will be going to Summit Point Motorsport Park to work a race there in November! I think they are going to put me on the Grid/Pits

KsilverFlagger

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Was never into racing until last February I tuned up my Acura TSX (a softened up Japan-made Euro Accord R), and asked where I could take it to see "what it can do." Garage owner has been an SCCA racer for decades, regional exec, and asked me to an event to hang out. I did 1.5 hours of PDX, and have since done about 10.5 hours at VIRginia International Raceway (the "racetrack in the rose garden" that the TOP GEAR boys visited in late 2010). Have also worked some corners for race weekend and a 13-hour enduro race. It's not really the cars or the race that keeps me coming back, it's the people. Oh, and driving 115 mph or so in my otherwise button-down sedan, that's kinda fun.
I've never driven, I really love it on my side of the rail, I can't think of anything that I would rather be than a race flagger!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Why do US based posters like F1 these days. I think it's very gracious of you guys.
I'm in the UK and have followed F1 since the '70's - but it's been going through another lull for the last few years.
It's pretty unwatchable on tv.
I don't get to watch races live, {only once in '87} but the aero devices, drs overtaking, no torque, seamless narrow ratios, no V10's and V12's, no engine mass, ridiculous turn in ability and rear traction, overtaking ability anywhere mid corner, inability to catch a spin (lwb), ridiculous gynaecological driving position with high snouts (changing a little in 2014) etc.etc.

However there are a small handful of mega drivers Alonso, Kimi, + others who deserve success again.

Just a rant really. F1 let you down badly with the 6 starters at Indianapolis in (I forget the year).

I loved watching Cart when it was available recorded on terrestrial channels especially the road courses.Best possibly in '90s and early noughties.

I met Emerson 3 years ago. Him and Mansell in Cart/Indy, another great era.

Thanks for your interest. Hope it gets better this year, 4 cylinders and all. (Correction: V6! 1.6 litres?)

Last edited:

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I loved watching Cart when it was available recorded on terrestrial channels especially the road courses.Best possibly in '90s and early noughties.

CART/Champ Car is what I grew up with really (lived in Indianapolis for a few years), before the infamous split with IndyCar/IRL. I still followed it (and went to the Toronto GP a couple of times) up until it's demise and reunification with IndyCar. I felt it was the better series (better drivers, better tech) than the IRL, but the split I also feel hurt open-wheel racing in the US for several years. That 6-car USGP in Indianapolis didn't help with Formula One either. Speaking of F1, I got into that around when Ayrton Senna started on McLaren.

LOL, I realized after my earlier posts that this thread is now 3 years old, and my son is now 6. He's still into cars, designing his car for Pinewood Derby. His is the stock car, mine is the Cobra...
IMG_20140125_111448.jpg

Maybe I can still get him into karting in a year or two. :)

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Anything on wheels, but Nascar and Indy are my favorites......I even like Slot Car racing (old school) and Radio Control Cars. like I said anything with wheels...SMILE