What kind of auto racing are you into?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Since this area seems a little slow, I figured I'd start up a thread over here. :) What kind of auto racing are you into? Also, do you do any high performance driving on your own? This includes HPDE's (high performance driving education), track days, autocross, club racing, etc. Post away!

Dusty

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
NASCAR, Nationwide, CWTS, NHRA, lawn mowers, boats... Don't matter- if it goes fast, I like it.

I raced asphalt oval for a bit until the little man came along. Not enough time to have a family and race. I get my fix from helping my buddies out with their cars and working the tower at the local track on race days.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Since I started the thread, might as well say what I'm into too. :p I follow Formula One and the old CART/Champ Car, IRL, Super GT, Euro GT4, WRC...OK, pretty much most racing that involves roadcourses. :)

I used to compete in autocross for 10 years, as well as did (and instructed in) HPDE's, club track days. But, having two kids in the last three years and my fun car going down (engine grenaded) has curtailed my track and autocross time indefinitely. :(

Dusty

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Since I started the thread, might as well say what I'm into too. :p I follow Formula One and the old CART/Champ Car, IRL, Super GT, Euro GT4, WRC...OK, pretty much most racing that involves roadcourses. :)

I used to compete in autocross for 10 years, as well as did (and instructed in) HPDE's, club track days. But, having two kids in the last three years and my fun car going down (engine grenaded) has curtailed my track and autocross time indefinitely. :(

Kids sure change things huh? I wouldn't take a million dollars for my little boy, but wouldn't give a wooden nickel for anther one just like him :p

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Kids sure change things huh? I wouldn't take a million dollars for my little boy, but wouldn't give a wooden nickel for anther one just like him :p

LOL :p At least I'll say this about my son...for a 3 year old, he can identify all kinds of cars easily (and WWII airplanes...thanks to my father-in-law). Playing GT5 kinda helps. ;) We'll see if my daughter will have the same interest instead of dolls. :)

Dusty

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
LOL :p At least I'll say this about my son...for a 3 year old, he can identify all kinds of cars easily (and WWII airplanes...thanks to my father-in-law). Playing GT5 kinda helps. ;) We'll see if my daughter will have the same interest instead of dolls. :)
My boy is the same way. Took him to an auto show last month and he spotted a Ferrari from a mile away. When we made it back into the Chevrolet display, he took off running and yelled 'DAD! Take my picture with that ZR1'. I had no clue he knew the difference between a ZR1 and a base Vette.

IMAG0030.jpg

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
lol, I cant even get my fiancee to tell the differnce between Ford and Chevy trucks.
Hows the show down there? As good as Detroit?

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
l really really NASCAR racing , but never been lucky to watch an actual race (especially that , Im from Saudi Arabia & all that) , but I really hope that I get the chance to attend one

The Baja 1000 is cool too , even though I'm not into Rally races

Street races are cool in Need For Speed & the rest of Xbox 360 & PS3 street racing games , but in real life its NOT cool & dangerous

"Kids don't try this"
You gotta be a good role model for the kids or a "Good citizen" like what Jesse James refers too ;)

Rolly32

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I like Drag Racing. During the winter season, I head out to Edinburg international racetrack (about 4 hrs down south from San Antonio.) During the spring, I will head out to the Spring Nationals in Houston to watch the NHRA races live. ;)

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Im into drags, f1, lemans, drifting, & other stuff but i cannot sit & watch nascar. No offense to anyone but i have tried it & i just cant.

I like straight aways street style. The new Skyline takes the cake everytime
Skylines are awesome cars but theyve become easy win cars at least in my opinion. People have that car in mind always. The R34 runs on an RB26DETT engine that outputs about 280hp stock with light tuning the engine can get to a good 500hp. I prefer lighter cars with a good engine. What makes a car is the tuning thats done except theres some engines that have no hope. My ideal car is a Datsun 240z with an RB26DETT, with extra modifications to the entire car & chassis. To put that kind of engine in there is to strengthen the chassis to be able to handle that kind of strain to output the power to the tires in a good manner.

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Was never into racing until last February I tuned up my Acura TSX (a softened up Japan-made Euro Accord R), and asked where I could take it to see "what it can do." Garage owner has been an SCCA racer for decades, regional exec, and asked me to an event to hang out. I did 1.5 hours of PDX, and have since done about 10.5 hours at VIRginia International Raceway (the "racetrack in the rose garden" that the TOP GEAR boys visited in late 2010). Have also worked some corners for race weekend and a 13-hour enduro race. It's not really the cars or the race that keeps me coming back, it's the people. Oh, and driving 115 mph or so in my otherwise button-down sedan, that's kinda fun.

gdasilva16

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Formula 1. i've been watching it since i was a child with my dad every sunday. i also watch Le Mans, Rally, but nothing gives me goosebumps like Formula 1.