Axon 7 mini

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Axon 7 mini is recommended for sale at 299 Euros. If the US pricing falls in a similar area, it's somewhat unappealing. I mean, sure you get a 5.2" device, but for about $100 more you get an SD820, twice the internal storage, and a 2K display.

People may not notice the difference between the two displays, but the better SoC and storage may be worth the price difference.

What do you all think?

Andruri

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes the processor and memory differences are probably enough for most people to chose the regular 7 for $100 more. But I do find other advantages besides the savings that may make it more desirable to me personally:
  • includes FM radio (I sometimes listen to FM while out exercising without data streaming) <--- Caveat: this feature is not listed on zteusa.com but only stated on various reviews, so must be confirmed.
  • I prefer the 1080p display, finding it sharp enough and would rather preserve battery, cpu, and $ cost over a higher resolution panel
  • 5.2 inch size might be sweeter spot for one handed operation as compared to the 5.5 incher

If I could buy right now I would strongly consider it, but I cannot wait long, especially when the Moto G4 Plus is available with similar specs and larger screen. The Axon 7 mini looks like a better travel phone than the Moto G4 ( wider LTE coverage between US and rest of the world) so it is on my short list if I can determine when it will ship.

Last edited:

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes the processor and memory differences are probably enough for most people to chose the regular 7 for $100 more. But I do find other advantages besides the savings that may make it more desirable to me personally:
  • includes FM radio (I sometimes listen to FM while out exercising without data streaming) <--- Caveat: this feature is not listed on zteusa.com but only stated on various reviews, so must be confirmed.
  • I prefer the 1080p display, finding it sharp enough and would rather preserve battery, cpu, and $ cost over a higher resolution panel
  • 5.2 inch size might be sweeter spot for one handed operation as compared to the 5.5 incher

If I could buy right now I would strongly consider it, but I cannot wait long, especially when the Moto G4 Plus is available with similar specs and larger screen. The Axon 7 mini looks like a better travel phone than the Moto G4 ( wider LTE coverage between US and rest of the world) so it is on my short list if I can determine when it will ship.

The mini is now in stock at b&h. Great pkace to buy. Free shipping too.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The Axon 7 mini is recommended for sale at 299 Euros. If the US pricing falls in a similar area, it's somewhat unappealing. I mean, sure you get a 5.2" device, but for about $100 more you get an SD820, twice the internal storage, and a 2K display.

People may not notice the difference between the two displays, but the better SoC and storage may be worth the price difference.

What do you all think?

The reason I'm considering the mini is to use for music listening. I carry a galaxy S7 EDGE, music through headphones ok, but not great. I've also expecting my pixel on Monday, but again, not expected for great music listening.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

What do you all think?

Well I received my mini today. First thing I said, wow, this is a mini? . Anyway, the only problem I noticed was the lengthy boot up time. Literally took about 3-4 minutes. But other than that, no hicups. I'll have more after I play with it this weekend.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, the only problem I noticed was the lengthy boot up time.

Now that the first boot is out of the way, does it boot up any faster? I have noticed when flashing new ROMs (either stock or custom) the first boot usually takes a while.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Now that the first boot is out of the way, does it boot up any faster? I have noticed when flashing new ROMs (either stock or custom) the first boot usually takes a while.

Update-after the first boot, its only taking about 20-25 seconds to boot up. It's hard to believe this only has the Qualcomm 617. While certainly not like my pixel or S7 EDGE, its still remarkably quick.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I picked one up from Best Buy yesterday to replace my Moto X Pure that was having speaker issues during any kind of audio playback that didn't involve the headphone jack and display flickering during gaming. It was between this, the G4 Plus (2gb/16gb), a Nextbit Robin, and a used S6/S6 Edge and decided for the Axon due to the build (I like metal), audio quality, NFC (I enjoy Android Pay) and the AMOLED display. I was reluctant to get the gold variant but isn't super gaudy like the Galaxy lines.

Didn't have the long initial boot as I've seen or heard, but the UI took a second to figure out. With Nova Prime it's easier to deal with. Not as quick as the X Pure but runs cooler. Noticed today that it has a reversible UI somewhat like Alcatel.

The only negative I have is the lack of bass when playing through my car audio system by AUX cord since I'm used to the HTC One A9, LG V10 and the X Pure. Also wish they would have included a USB-C adapter, since I have like 4 10' Kevlar wrapped Micro USB USB cables.

All in all, I'd get another.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I picked one up from Best Buy yesterday to replace my Moto X Pure that was having speaker issues during any kind of audio playback that didn't involve the headphone jack and display flickering during gaming. It was between this, the G4 Plus (2gb/16gb), a Nextbit Robin, and a used S6/S6 Edge and decided for the Axon due to the build (I like metal), audio quality, NFC (I enjoy Android Pay) and the AMOLED display. I was reluctant to get the gold variant but isn't super gaudy like the Galaxy lines.

Didn't have the long initial boot as I've seen or heard, but the UI took a second to figure out. With Nova Prime it's easier to deal with. Not as quick as the X Pure but runs cooler. Noticed today that it has a reversible UI somewhat like Alcatel.

The only negative I have is the lack of bass when playing through my car audio system by AUX cord since I'm used to the HTC One A9, LG V10 and the X Pure. Also wish they would have included a USB-C adapter, since I have like 4 10' Kevlar wrapped Micro USB USB cables.

I agree, im not having the bass problem at all. I fine tuned my dolby atmos. Holy crap what a sound. Im using my klipsch heresy speakers powered by a vintage mcintosh ma6100 amp. Awsume too on my bose QC3 headphones.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

What do you all think?

After a couple of days with my mini, I've got to say I'm totally impressed with this device. For the processor it has, it's still pretty fast. Not like my pixel or S7 EDGE, but fast enough. The build quality, screen are top rate. But the reason I did buy it was for music listening. With that dolby atmos, its second to none. Even if you need a great phone without breaking the bank, this is it.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Have you had any random reboot issues? Mine is working flawlessly except it randomly rebooted a couple of times since I've had it. I wouldn't have even noticed except for the restarting chimes.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Have you had any random reboot issues? Mine is working flawlessly except it randomly rebooted a couple of times since I've had it. I wouldn't have even noticed except for the restarting chimes.

Nope, not even when I push it. I also have a scheduled power down and restart, so that may also be a reason I haven't experienced that issue.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd try exchanging it for a new one, may be a device by device case which is unfortunate.

I was using an app called fi info. I noticed that I was loosing connection when it tried to change carriers. So I uninstalled. Its been fine ever since. Ive got a fi data only sim in the mini, so it stays connected to T-Mobile.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Received an update this morning. Didn't really read the changes or updates. But it brought along the November security patch. Hopefully they keep coming and it's on the same time line as the Axon 7 for Nougat in "January" .

Attachments

• 2194.jpg
    2194.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 11

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87