First impressions of the Axon 7 switching from OnePlus 3

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Moto Display is great. I have a OP3 and the ambient display works great. It lights up when a notification comes in and there is also a setting where you can wave your hand over the screen and see any notifications. As far as I know with the A7, there is not a setting for that. Also, the whole bell thing bothers me. I like to see my notifications on the lock screen without having to take an extra step and press the bell icon. I ordered the A7, but I'm really hesitant because the software experience with the OP3 and OxygenOS has been one of the best I have experienced on any smartphone. The A7 software looks rather clunky to me. I guess I will see once I get my hands on the device.

Posted via the Android Central App
This is the deal breaker for me. I have the OP3 and N6p and the lack of ambient display on the A7 and then having to hit the bell icon to see my notifications is really bad! I installed AC display and it kind of works but I'm not happy, and no root further kills it for me. If they fix a few things in a software update I would be interested again but it's a non starter compared the the excellent OP3.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
So when you get a notification, the screen doesn't light up?
I've been using n5 for the last 2 yrs

Yes it does light up, but the notification is not visible unless you tap a little 'bell' icon. If you install a lock screen manager you can change that behavior.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Also how is the mifavor software on this a7? Can you switch to google or are they the same? Any noticeable differences between the 2?

You can switch up launchers the same way as pretty much any android phone. MiFavor is relatively lightweight. The most noticeable changes are to the settings area and some added gestures/features. (And of course to notifications as the prior few posts have talked about!) They do have some alternative apps like their own browser, mail, etc. but I'm ignoring those.)

Overall I think mifavor is ok, I'm giving it a chance for a few weeks and if I develop a dislike for it then I'll go to stock android or nova. But, for now, I'm fine with it. I don't mind the notifications thing because my bf frequently sends messages with lots of silly emoticons and I don't mind that it's hidden from passerbys if they happen to see the lock screen light up. ;-)

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
After a couple days, some more observations:

Bluetooth: One of my (few) frustrations with the OP3 was with bluetooth. It would frequently fail to pair on the first try with my car, and then sometimes I'd have to re-pair it, and sound volume was on the low side. I also noticed leaving bluetooth on would really suck battery life.

So far the Axon's bluetooth has worked like a champ: pairs quickly every time, is staying paired, and sounds really good when listening in my car. No significant hit to battery life either.

Speaking of battery life, I like that their Power Manager settings screen does a good job of calling out misbehaving apps and applying settings (which you can override) like scheduled background wake-ups rather than letting them keep sucking away. It'll also let you know if they do things like 'Keep the System Awake' or 'Frequently Wake Up the System', as well as historical records of apps with high power consumption. Nice!

jwiesneski

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes it does light up, but the notification is not visible unless you tap a little 'bell' icon. If you install a lock screen manager you can change that behavior.

On top of that, if the phone ever becomes ROOTable, one could just install XPosed Framework and install the Ambient Display module, enabling the default Android Ambient Display, if ZTE never adds it back in.

Video example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_WYfyf7qWo

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
You can switch up launchers the same way as pretty much any android phone. MiFavor is relatively lightweight. The most noticeable changes are to the settings area and some added gestures/features. (And of course to notifications as the prior few posts have talked about!) They do have some alternative apps like their own browser, mail, etc. but I'm ignoring those.)

Overall I think mifavor is ok, I'm giving it a chance for a few weeks and if I develop a dislike for it then I'll go to stock android or nova. But, for now, I'm fine with it. I don't mind the notifications thing because my bf frequently sends messages with lots of silly emoticons and I don't mind that it's hidden from passerbys if they happen to see the lock screen light up. ;-)
I prefer to keep my Gmail account. Also what about all the contacts that is saved through google.
I assume like any other Android device when you put in your sim card into the a7, all your contacts. Calendar info will be transferred with no issues.
At least I hope

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't need a sim card for that. If you connect to wifi and log on to your google account (gmail) you will get everything back as expected. You can setup the new phone nearly completely with just wifi.

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
You don't need a sim card for that. If you connect to wifi and log on to your google account (gmail) you will get everything back as expected. You can setup the new phone nearly completely with just wifi.
Ok thanks.
But what about Google calendar? Same deal?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, same deal as long as you are using Google Calendar. If you are only using a built in calendar, then you may have to use some type of transfer app.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, same deal as long as you are using Google Calendar. If you are only using a built in calendar, then you may have to use some type of transfer app.

I'm using the built in calendar. It works with Google fine. As soon as I signed in all of my stuff was there.

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
How is the sound when your making a call? Is it clear? Also how well can you hear when if the area your in is noisy? Or I should say how well does noise cancelling works?

And how clear is it when you have speaker phone?

On my n5, sometimes it's not the clearest so it makes it harder to understand people. Especially if it's noisy.
Or maybe I'm just getting old and I can't hear very well lol

russ8128

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the write and follow up questions/answers. I'm using both a Nexus 6 and LG G4 interchangeably. Basically the Nexus is my daily driver because it just works but I'll switch up SIM cards to the LG when I know I need the camera for something. I'm one who had a G4 die with the bootloader issue and I just don't trust it anymore (and it gets all janky sometimes). Been looking at the Axon for the audio side (the G4 was not good with headphones or bluetooth) but still wonder about the camera as I'd like to retire/sell the G4.

So I've narrowed it down to the 1+3 and Axon... Leaning on the Axon right now but your longer term thought on software might sway me.

Rigby Jones

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the write and follow up questions/answers. I'm using both a Nexus 6 and LG G4 interchangeably. Basically the Nexus is my daily driver because it just works but I'll switch up SIM cards to the LG when I know I need the camera for something. I'm one who had a G4 die with the bootloader issue and I just don't trust it anymore (and it gets all janky sometimes). Been looking at the Axon for the audio side (the G4 was not good with headphones or bluetooth) but still wonder about the camera as I'd like to retire/sell the G4.

So I've narrowed it down to the 1+3 and Axon... Leaning on the Axon right now but your longer term thought on software might sway me.

The OPO is and will likely be a better UI period. Its just pretty and smooth. As for actual issues, ZTE seems to have several updates in store very soon. It doesn't seem like you NEED a phone any time soon so maybe if you want to wait? Because outside of Best Buy, current orders could begin shipping a couple weeks now.

russ8128

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! That is helpful (and I probably agree on the software side). I think the reason the G4 gets slowed down is a software issue. The Nexus with an older processor really never has that problem (except with HDR+ pictures).

...also not swayed by the new Note 7....$850! Jeez

firstbeat

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Question in regards to Android Auto. Any people have feedback on how OP3 and the Axon 7 work with Android Auto? I have a '16 Hyundai Sonata with Android Auto and losing that is a deal breaker for me.
Thanks

Rigby Jones

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! That is helpful (and I probably agree on the software side). I think the reason the G4 gets slowed down is a software issue. The Nexus with an older processor really never has that problem (except with HDR+ pictures).

Note 7 is really for people who haven't bought a new Samsung in a while, and specifically are old Note owners and wanted the same power package in a S7 design. On paper, its the perfect device, Samsung, Apple, whoever.

side note to this thread, this ambient red light on the phone annoys the **** out of me

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

For that price, I rather get an Iphone. No I'm not saying Iphone is better but their customer services is a million time better than being disrespected by Samsung so call "support". I had the N3 and S4 so I know what Samsung bad customer service is like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance