Bootloader Now Unlockable

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
As per ZTE Community forums:

https://community.zteusa.com/community/blogging/blog/2016/08/10/did-somebody-say-bootloader

We have heard you loud and clear. Throughout the last two months on Z-Community you have voiced the desire for an unlocked bootloader for the Axon 7, and today we are making this a reality.

In fact, an unlocked bootloader was something that has been in discussion internally at ZTE for quite awhile. But upon hearing more and more discussions on Z-Community about this topic, your mod team performed the necessary due diligence to present our case with internal stakeholders. After thoughtful debates and discussions, we are truly delighted to share the exciting news that fellow mobile developers have been waiting for: the U.S. versions of the Axon Pro and the Axon 7 will have their bootloader unlocked upon request here on Z-Community!

There are two important things to note: This procedure is reserved for those with a high level of technical expertise and have had experience flashing custom ROMs. Furthermore, unlocking the bootloader will void the device warranty that comes free with each Axon purchase.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
And now people are freaking out that they have to give up their warranty coverage to get it unlocked.

Luckily, I doubt any of those people will actually be unlocked by ZTE anyway, those types are too likely to use the warranty return process to de-brick.

Henaway

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
In Canada, we get the US version of the phone ... so same deal.

While I think voiding the warranty with an unlock is craptacular on their part, here's how I look at it. Odds are that I'm personally not going to do it anyway. I've had Nexus phones (my wife still does) and I've done all sorts of rooting, romming, flashing, tweaking, messing about. Then I went last year to the LG G4, and there is no bootloader unlock for it (yes, there is a model that's unlocked, but I don't have it). While my inner geek is sad that I can't mess around with ROMs and such on it, at the end of the day, I'm okay with that. I use the phone mostly for my daily life ... calls, text, messaging, snap some pictures, occasionally some video. Once in a while I'll take out the tripod and do some long exposure night shots/light painting ... but if I want to really get crazy, I break out my old SLR so I have aperture control too.

The two year warranty, and really reasonable 'deductible' for out of warranty repairs they're offering is quite impressive. 80 bucks for a screen replacement out of warranty? Hard to beat that! What makes the unlocked bootloader great, in the long term, is that if ZTE abandons software updates for the phone by the time that 2 year warranty is gone, hopefully there will be enough of a dev community there to keep the updates alive unofficially. That's the power of an unlocked bootloader in my mind. Not so much for the now ... but for the two years from now.

I'm also wondering, and might have to take this to the Z Community forums for an answer ... even if it voids the two year warranty - does the unlimited out of warranty repair offer still stand? IE: instead of two years of free repairs, does it become two years of factory repairs at the cost of the standard deductible? If that's the case ... still not SO bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech