Why no FM Radio?

Andruri

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
After doing some preliminary research and thinking that I would purchase an Axon 7, I was stopped cold by lack of FM Radio support. Why does Axon and other relatively high end smartphones not include this basic functionality? I might assume it is due to cost, except that the less powerful Moto G4/G4-Plus has it. I am currently using a maxed-out-spec Asus Zenfone 2 but the WiFi interface has become unreliable/unusable so I am compelled to purchase a new phone. I have not totally abandoned Asus products or the brand but I will not reward this phones failure by purchasing a new Zenfone 3.

I realize that FM radio is antiquated for some users, but I like to listen to the news or sports as I go for a walk or exercising at the community gym without having to pay for a 3g/4g data stream for over the top radio. Radio support could almost be considered a safety and security issue, as we recently lost power during a hurricane, initially relying on the smartphone radio to provide updates on local conditions.

I will give this issue more thought, but now I am leaning back to the Moto G4 and doing more research of other phones. Since I consider FM radio support to be more important than NFC or a fingerprint scanner, even though those later 2 features capture a lot of the headlines.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
FM radio requires a chipset that includes it, and the manufacturer may prefer a different chipset - that doesn't include it.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I considered ir to be more important than water resistance but have accepted that I'm a minority, I think you're part of an even smaller minority since I've never heard that complaint ;)

Andruri

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Having a better and flexible interface to control the TV and entertainment system would be nice, so IR blaster support would be much appreciated. Though I have seen that offered on phones so infrequently that I have ceased to think about it.

During the hurricane outage I found my old thumb drive sized FM radio which still works well enough, I just don't want to carry an extra device. The ultimate personal mobility device, the automobile, includes a FM radio without question. But when traveling by foot one need to bring their own, even when already carrying a pocket computer capable of receiving other radio frequencies.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Having a better and flexible interface to control the TV and entertainment system would be nice, so IR blaster support would be much appreciated. Though I have seen that offered on phones so infrequently that I have ceased to think about it.

During the hurricane outage I found my old thumb drive sized FM radio which still works well enough, I just don't want to carry an extra device. The ultimate personal mobility device, the automobile, includes a FM radio without question. But when traveling by foot one need to bring their own, even when already carrying a pocket computer capable of receiving other radio frequencies.

Have you tried tunein or any of the live radio apps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel