Battery Issue?

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I've just got my Axon 7 last Thursday. I had before a One+One and I was pretty happy with it, but I'm a geek so when I saw the Axon, well... :D
So on Thursday, when I first started the Axon and got the message "Do you want to reinstall your apps"? I said Yes and all the Apps I had on the OnePlus got installed on the Axon right away. Mistake?
During that first installation, the battery of the Axon went down like crazy. From a 100% (I had slow charged it the night before), it went to 5% in 3 or 4 hours. Got quite hot too. So I figured: "lots of work, let's see later" I charged it with the charger right after, fully.
The next day was fine. But I'm not a player, my main uses are the social apps (Facebook, Twitter), some text messages, one phone call that lasted 15 mins, web browsing, and some pictures (like 10) at night without flash. Got home last night with 10% left. Figured it was ok. So I charged it fully again.
This morning, waking up, the battery is at 80%. I haven't touched the phone... GSam says that Mobile Radio used 48% and the screen 34%. I activated the WiFi when I woke up and GSam says 18%.
I didn't have that "issue" with my OnePlus so...
My mobile network uses 4G but with my OnePlus, inside my home, I would only have something like H+ or rarely 3G.Maybe the mobile network is draining the battery. Since I haven't rooted the Axon (is it possible? I'm not too found of that), I can't used apps like WakeLock to see if something else is draining the battery...

I have installed of course the latest update from ZTE.

What do you think? Should I do a factory reset and restart from scratch, not reinstalling automatically the apps? Those are pretty basic apps btw, like I said no games, nothing fancy...
Or... do I have a faulty battery?

I chose this phone over the OnePlusThree because of its battery, I would be quite pissed if I had the only Axon with a defective battery :(

Thanx for your help and comments :)

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I just sold my Axon 7, but I used it for the past 2+ months and one of the best thing on the phone is the battery life, standby for me was one of the best, so for me in your case is one or various apps causing issues but do something, do a Backup of your phone using the WeShare app that comes pre-installed and at least save your Messages, Call History and other basic settings, it can do a "Full Backup" but i don't think that it will be a good idea to restore from a backup with a possible issue. After your backup do a Factory reset, clear your System Cache on Recovery Mode ( I always do that first) and then set it up as a new phone, once you finish restore your basic settings and then re-install your apps.

Mikey88Chaos

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I just sold my Axon 7, but I used it for the past 2+ months and one of the best thing on the phone is the battery life, standby for me was one of the best, so for me in your case is one or various apps causing issues but do something, do a Backup of your phone using the WeShare app that comes pre-installed and at least save your Messages, Call History and other basic settings, it can do a "Full Backup" but i don't think that it will be a good idea to restore from a backup with a possible issue. After your backup do a Factory reset, clear your System Cache on Recovery Mode ( I always do that first) and then set it up as a new phone, once you finish restore your basic settings and then re-install your apps.
Why did you sell yours?

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Why would I do a factory reset before opening a thread?? The goal of a forum is trying to get some help when you have a problem with "basic" use of your phone, right?
How can I check for wakelocks? The program Wakelocks needs to root the phone to work properly, something I cannot do with the Axon, so... And it seems all the programs need the root access, which is normal I guess.

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Hello Erasat,
Thanx for your reply :)
Someone on ZTE developer forum suggested that I switch the data service to 3G at home, since the phone is always trying to get the best service, 4G then 3G, when I think I get mostly H+ inside. So I switched to 3G last night, and I'll see how it goes.
If I still have a battery drain, then I'll do a a factory reset, and a clear of the System Cache like you suggested, and I'll reinstall one by one the apps I need. I won't restore a backup, I agree with you it's not a good idea at all.
I'll let you know how it goes :)

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
If it is any help. when I purchased my Axon 7 I did not do a restore of my apps etc. I did a one by one install of those apps that I use regularly. I figured there was enough crud from apps that I didn't use any longer that might cause me grief that it was worth installing only the stuff I use.

My battery life has been great. I normally end my work day (off the charger at 5 am and back on at 9 pm) with 35-45% remaining. about 2 hours SOT, Facebook, kindle app and web browsing along with a half dozen text messages and a phone call or two as well as a few pictures.

Mikey88Chaos

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Just got the Google Pixel and i saw that I could still get around the same amount I paid for the Axon so I decided to sell it.
How is that mono speaker on the Pixel? I'm pretty bummed about it tbh, coming from the nexus 6p stereo speakers I don't think I want to downgrade in that department.