A few questions...

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone! I'm a normal visitor to the Optimus V forums here at androidcentral, and just bought my NC today. I'm ready to turn it into a full fledged tablet!

I'm a bit confused here. I have a bunch of questions, so just bear with me... I don't want a $250 door stop!

I see that you don't need to root to get Nookie Froyo to run off of an SD card. Is this really true? And, if so, will it still be possible to get Flash running, and overclock to 1100mhz? Also, is it possible to run CM7 off the SD card without root? And does flash and overclocking work on that ROM?

Thanks for all the help in advance! I'm sure I'll be a regular here in a couple of days :)

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone! I'm a normal visitor to the Optimus V forums here at androidcentral, and just bought my NC today. I'm ready to turn it into a full fledged tablet!

I'm a bit confused here. I have a bunch of questions, so just bear with me... I don't want a $250 door stop!

I see that you don't need to root to get Nookie Froyo to run off of an SD card. Is this really true? And, if so, will it still be possible to get Flash running, and overclock to 1100mhz? Also, is it possible to run CM7 off the SD card without root? And does flash and overclocking work on that ROM?

Thanks for all the help in advance! I'm sure I'll be a regular here in a couple of days :)

I would use CM7 instead of nookie froyo. gingerbread > froyo. No you do not need root to run either of them off an SD card.

[HOW-TO] Download and Install CM7 to Run Off SD Card

There is an included overclock option in CM7 up to 987. To get higher than that you have to use dalingrin's kernel. I'm not sure about nookie froyo but CM7 can run flash near perfectly. (Better than any android phones that I've used.) And there is practicly impossible to turn the nook into a brick as it is hardwired to boot from SD card. So if you screw it up you can just put clockwork onto an SD card and redo everything.

Also if you haven't bought an SD card here is a good thread to read over

Any other questions feel free to ask.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, great... I bought this one. I don't think I'll be needing to go over 987, I'm not gonna be doing anything TOO insane :p.

So basically, I'm going to:
1. Download WinImage
2. Write the file at the top of that post to the SD card
3. Eject the card then put it back in,
4. Download the latest stable build from the cyanogenmod forums
5. Put the file on the SD card
6. Insert it into the nook
7. Boot the nook
8. Unmount the SD Card and put the latest GApps onto it
9. Reboot into recovery (I guess this is already there?)
10. Flash over the GApps
11. Be happily on my way with my awesome now gingerbread android tablet

Just one question... How do I know I'm writing the image to the entire SD card, and not just one of the partitions?

Thanks!

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
you can put CM7 and gapps on the sd card at the same time.\

Also, use one of the newer nightly builds, not the last stable version.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Great! other then that everything looks right? And also, will my patriot class 10 8gb micro sd card be alright for this?

Last edited:

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Grrr... This is getting annoying now. So I downloaded WinImager, and downloaded the image and extracted it. I double clicked on the image, and it brought me to WinImager with a popup. In the popup it said "Partition on disk 0, size: 120456 MB, FAT32" (This was the only available option) and then there was a checkbox that said "Read Only". I left it unchecked, and hit OK. Now I am in WinImager, and there are four files:

mlo
u-boot.bin
uImage
uRamdisk

Now what? I tried clicking on write disk, and that did nothing, then I tried clicking on Format and write disk and that didn't seem to do anything. What am I doing wrong?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Grrr... This is getting annoying now. So I downloaded WinImager, and downloaded the image and extracted it. I double clicked on the image, and it brought me to WinImager with a popup. In the popup it said "Partition on disk 0, size: 120456 MB, FAT32" (This was the only available option) and then there was a checkbox that said "Read Only". I left it unchecked, and hit OK. Now I am in WinImager, and there are four files:

mlo
u-boot.bin
uImage
uRamdisk

Now what? I tried clicking on write disk, and that did nothing, then I tried clicking on Format and write disk and that didn't seem to do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Stick the build of CM7 you want to use on the SD card also and then put it in the nook.

And just FYI many people have had issues with that same SD card. Just wanted to let you know.

EricWiz

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am running the patriot class 10 8gb myself and it is working great. I think the one folks had a problem with was the 16gb card.

Anyway, try winimage if you are having a problem imaging.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I already spent $20 on this SD card so I'm gonna stick with it. I did what you said and it just booted up to the standard nook rom. Is this guide (link) to install on the SD Card or internal memory? Because it seems easier to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid