Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Carrier
    Stock, rooted.

So does anyone know about the memory? When running CM7, does absolutely everything get stored on the SD? Or can I place apps and such on internal memory as well

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Default Re: [HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No ro

Quote Originally Posted by dalp View Post
    I have a question. I tried doing the exact process you have outlined in your instructions however, during the install I get "initial files not found please download it from nook.linuxhacker.ru". What am I doing wrong? Does it matter that I tried doing the root before with another method, and it didn't work? Do I need to factory restore it first or something? If so, how, because that turn it off and on 8 times method doesn't work for me anymore. I am always either stuck on a black screen or the "N" screen after the "Read Forever" screen.

Thanks for the instructions and the help!
    Can anyone please help with above? Thank you

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Completed this in less than an hour. No problems at all... Love the CM7 interface, maybe I'll have to pucsh this on my EVO4G as well...

Well I have it installed on the SD card (ScanDisk Class 4 4gb) and everything loads ok, but the screen becomes unresponsive from the start. Everything appears to be normal other then the touchscreen not working. Any suggestions? I have used all the links to get the image files and such from this post.

Does anyone know if I have a successfully working SD card with CM on it...can I just copy that to a larger card to get more storage? Or would I have to make a new card? Thanks.

For the people wanting to know about the sd storage space:

You can INCREASE the sd card storage by partitioning the unalloccated space on the card itself.
    For instance, you create the CM7.1 image on a 2 gig sd card, you can add about 1.8gig to the sd storage within CM7.1

Tools needed:
    EASEUS Partition Master

I bought the full version simply because it is something I will use many times without any restrictions.

Follow the steps as outlined in this thread.

After successfully creating the CM7.1 sd card(and checking to make sure it boots and has everything it is supposed to have), shut down the nook.
    Insert the sd card in your pc. Close the autorun window that pops up.
    Open up EASEUS Partition Master.
    Look for your sd card you created. You should see something like this:
    E: boot FAT32 xxx.xxMB (Don't mess with this)
    *: Other xxx.xxMB (Don't mess with this)
    *: Other xxx.xxMB (Don't mess with this)
    *: CM7 SDCARD FAT16 xxx.xxMB (RESIZE THIS PARTITION)
    * Unallocated 1.85GB (Unused space left on sd card)

Resize the CM7 SDCARD partition using the remaining unallocated space.

Then apply the changes.
    Now enjoy the extra sd card storage space and get to downloading apps!

Thank you!!

I have a year old Nook updated to 1.4.1 and I have never done anything like this before, but so far...this seems to have worked beautifully.

I've only just gotten started and it seems to be doing okay. I got stuck trying to set up the Google account (which I thought I already had one but it didn't seem to agree with me) - I got all the way to the end and then it said it couldn't communicate with the server (tho it is connected to the internet).

I rebooted and skipped that step.....that's where I'm at - no idea if anything else works. Haven't found the Market yet - maybe cause I can't get the Google account set up?

Off to experiment!

EDIT: Marketplace was there and seems to be working JUST FINE

Quote Originally Posted by mccornwall View Post
    Does anyone know if I have a successfully working SD card with CM on it...can I just copy that to a larger card to get more storage? Or would I have to make a new card? Thanks.

That won't work. There are two added extra partitions on the sdcard that is written that is needed in order for CM7 to run.
    Here is what I would do(This worked for me every time):
    Create the image using a 2gig card. Install CM7 and everything else you need for google apps to properly run. After installig everything and setting up google market, put the sd card back in the pc and this time instead of "write" image to sd card, click "read" card to save an image file. Save your image somewhere that can be easily found. Then take a larger sd card and "write" the image you saved on your pc to the larger card. After finishing that step, run EASEUS Partition Master and stretch the CM7 SDCARD partition so that it uses up all of the unallocated space.
    Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Very nice write up. Easiest implementation I'VE done. THANKS!!!!!!
    And thanks to all involved in making this available.

Quote Originally Posted by vich3 View Post
    Very nice write up. Easiest implementation I'VE done. THANKS!!!!!!
    And thanks to all involved in making this available.

This is what B&N should have done at the very start.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I seem to be having problems. when i put in the sd card it gets to a place where it says i need to install a file from nook.linuxhacker.ru? what am i doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDap View Post
    I seem to be having problems. when i put in the sd card it gets to a place where it says i need to install a file from nook.linuxhacker.ru? what am i doing wrong?
    You are using a file that may very well contain a virus.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Well i downloaded the links provided here, so that's a little disheartning

ok, i'm missing something, or something is screwy. i have the files downloaded, and in the file folders. when i run Win32 Disk Imager, and go to get the image file, then cm7 folder is empty.

what have i done wrong? am i not holding my tongue right?

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kdkharris View Post
    ok, i'm missing something, or something is screwy. i have the files downloaded, and in the file folders. when i run Win32 Disk Imager, and go to get the image file, then cm7 folder is empty.

did you download the file at the bottom of the opening post?

Did you also unzip the image file?
    If the file name ends with ".gz", you will need to unzip the file and it will unpack an ".img" file.

Quote Originally Posted by jpilkinton View Post
    Did you also unzip the image file?
    If the file name ends with ".gz", you will need to unzip the file and it will unpack an ".img" file.
    i hate when i miss a step ...

ok, i went back and got the verygreen cm7 file and unzipped it into the cm7 folder, and then when i went to run the imager i get an error message stating that my sd card does not have enough space. i am using a 2GB microSD card.

please help.

i hate when i miss a step ...

ok, i went back and got the verygreen cm7 file and unzipped it into the cm7 folder, and then when i went to run the imager i get an error message stating that my sd card does not have enough space. i am using a 2GB microSD card.

please help.

OK, in honesty, I didn't try the verygreen cm7 image file. Only because the original steps worked flawless for me.

Use this one(the link still works):

http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/generi...rd-v1.3.img.gz

Don't forget to unzip this file before writing to sd card.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #244  

Carrier
    IHOCM7.2 || AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDap View Post
    Well i downloaded the links provided here, so that's a little disheartning
    Well I zipped that file myself, its the one I used for my nook so it shouldn't have a virus. Nook.linuxhacker.ru is the site that file originally came from, downloaded from verygreens original post. I'll edit tomorrow to include the original link again. This thread has really taken off lately! I need to check it more often...

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

OK, in honesty, I didn't try the verygreen cm7 image file. Only because the original steps worked flawless for me.

Use this one(the link still works):

http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/generi...rd-v1.3.img.gz

Don't forget to unzip this file before writing to sd card.
    jp,

let me first say thank you for your patience.

now let me share some of my frustration. i went back and got the other file, and unzipped it into my cm7 folder. i then ran the imager software, got a warning window stating 'Writing to a physical device can corrupt the device. Are you sure you want to continue?'

i select 'yes' and get the other error message letting me know that there is not enough room on my 2GB SD card.

any guesses at what i need to do now?

jp,

let me first say thank you for your patience.

now let me share some of my frustration. i went back and got the other file, and unzipped it into my cm7 folder. i then ran the imager software, got a warning window stating 'Writing to a physical device can corrupt the device. Are you sure you want to continue?'

i select 'yes' and get the other error message letting me know that there is not enough room on my 2GB SD card.

any guesses at what i need to do now?

OK, if you downloaded the imager from this thread, then you are using 0.2 version.
    I read reports from people that are having the same problem as you. Their solution was to unzip and run the 0.1 version. Try that.
    Here is the link:
    Scroll down and click on this: win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.1-r15-win32.zip (md5)

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

OK, if you downloaded the imager from this thread, then you are using 0.2 version.
    I read reports from people that are having the same problem as you. Their solution was to unzip and run the 0.1 version. Try that.
    Here is the link:

thanks jp! i now have the image on the SD card. i will continue to try and get my NC optimized!!

Here is the link:

sweet! i'm progressing well now. however, i now have some questions of how to get the GAPPS onto the SD card. i have turned off my nook, and i am trying to move the GAPPS to the SD, but i am getting a message asking if i want to reformat the card. if i do that then i have disabled all that i have done, right? so what do i do?

also, how do i adjust the clock time? right now it is 3:12pm CST and the time on the NC says 9:00pm. how do i change the time?

sweet! i'm progressing well now. however, i now have some questions of how to get the GAPPS onto the SD card. i have turned off my nook, and i am trying to move the GAPPS to the SD, but i am getting a message asking if i want to reformat the card. if i do that then i have disabled all that i have done, right? so what do i do?

also, how do i adjust the clock time? right now it is 3:12pm CST and the time on the NC says 9:00pm. how do i change the time?

Don't reformat. Click cancel on the popup window. When you insert the sd card in your pc, a window should pop up asking if you want to view the files on the device "boot". If you can view the directory structure of the sdcard, simply copy the gapps-signed file to the sd card and insert back in the nook.
    Power on the nook and after cm7 has completely loaded hold power button and select reboot, then select recovery. Your nook will power down and it will install the google apps.

P.S. If CM7 boots properly, windows should not be asking if you want to reformat the card. I have expeienced this before when plugging in my phone to the pc using a usb cable.

Don't reformat. Click cancel on the popup window. When you insert the sd card in your pc, a window should pop up asking if you want to view the files on the device "boot". If you can view the directory structure of the sdcard, simply copy the gapps-signed file to the sd card and insert back in the nook.
    Power on the nook and after cm7 has completely loaded hold power button and select reboot, then select recovery. Your nook will power down and it will install the google apps.

P.S. If CM7 boots properly, windows should not be asking if you want to reformat the card. I have expeienced this before when plugging in my phone to the pc using a usb cable.
    i cannot do anything with the SD card after i take it out of the NC ... i cannot read the card, or paste anything to it.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast