[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

dalp

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No ro

I have a question. I tried doing the exact process you have outlined in your instructions however, during the install I get "initial files not found please download it from nook.linuxhacker.ru". What am I doing wrong? Does it matter that I tried doing the root before with another method, and it didn't work? Do I need to factory restore it first or something? If so, how, because that turn it off and on 8 times method doesn't work for me anymore. I am always either stuck on a black screen or the "N" screen after the "Read Forever" screen.

Thanks for the instructions and the help! :)

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I have a question.. If im running my OS from the memory card, will I still be able to save things on my internal memory? Or will it all have to be saved on the sd card

I was wondering this because all I have is a 2gb sd card..... if when running cm7 all we get to use is sd storage, i would like to know soon because best buy has free shipping til midnight ;)

jaypenkacik

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the simple instructions. It made it easy and I now have in on my Nook Color. A question though:

When I try and install certain apps from the market (Adobe flash, google music, etc.) it says that my device is not compatible. How do I get around that? Thanks.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the simple instructions. It made it easy and I now have in on my Nook Color. A question though:

When I try and install certain apps from the market (Adobe flash, google music, etc.) it says that my device is not compatible. How do I get around that? Thanks.

What build are you using? The newer builds should have that fixed, but if you are on a new build and it still doesn't work, change your screen density to 160 or 161 (I can't remember which, just change it to the one its not already on) and reboot and that should fix the problem. You may have to clear market data and market cache as well.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
What build are you using? The newer builds should have that fixed, but if you are on a new build and it still doesn't work, change your screen density to 160 or 161 (I can't remember which, just change it to the one its not already on) and reboot and that should fix the problem. You may have to clear market data and market cache as well.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, MIUI Themed Optimus V

Dpi should be 160 ;)

Sent from space

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So does anyone know about the memory? When running CM7, does absolutely everything get stored on the SD? Or can I place apps and such on internal memory as well

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

dalp

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I have a question. I tried doing the exact process you have outlined in your instructions however, during the install I get "initial files not found please download it from nook.linuxhacker.ru". What am I doing wrong? Does it matter that I tried doing the root before with another method, and it didn't work? Do I need to factory restore it first or something? If so, how, because that turn it off and on 8 times method doesn't work for me anymore. I am always either stuck on a black screen or the "N" screen after the "Read Forever" screen.

Thanks for the instructions and the help! :)

Can anyone please help with above? Thank you

anon(97213)

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

Completed this in less than an hour. No problems at all... Love the CM7 interface, maybe I'll have to pucsh this on my EVO4G as well...

vcolev

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Well I have it installed on the SD card (ScanDisk Class 4 4gb) and everything loads ok, but the screen becomes unresponsive from the start. Everything appears to be normal other then the touchscreen not working. Any suggestions? I have used all the links to get the image files and such from this post.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if I have a successfully working SD card with CM on it...can I just copy that to a larger card to get more storage? Or would I have to make a new card? Thanks.

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

For the people wanting to know about the sd storage space:

You can INCREASE the sd card storage by partitioning the unalloccated space on the card itself.
For instance, you create the CM7.1 image on a 2 gig sd card, you can add about 1.8gig to the sd storage within CM7.1

Tools needed:
EASEUS Partition Master

I bought the full version simply because it is something I will use many times without any restrictions.

Follow the steps as outlined in this thread.

After successfully creating the CM7.1 sd card(and checking to make sure it boots and has everything it is supposed to have), shut down the nook.
Insert the sd card in your pc. Close the autorun window that pops up.
Open up EASEUS Partition Master.
Look for your sd card you created. You should see something like this:
E: boot FAT32 xxx.xxMB (Don't mess with this)
*: Other xxx.xxMB (Don't mess with this)
*: Other xxx.xxMB (Don't mess with this)
*: CM7 SDCARD FAT16 xxx.xxMB (RESIZE THIS PARTITION)
* Unallocated 1.85GB (Unused space left on sd card)

Resize the CM7 SDCARD partition using the remaining unallocated space.

Then apply the changes.
Now enjoy the extra sd card storage space and get to downloading apps! :)

Sassyinkpen

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

Thank you!!

I have a year old Nook updated to 1.4.1 and I have never done anything like this before, but so far...this seems to have worked beautifully.

I've only just gotten started and it seems to be doing okay. I got stuck trying to set up the Google account (which I thought I already had one but it didn't seem to agree with me) - I got all the way to the end and then it said it couldn't communicate with the server (tho it is connected to the internet).

I rebooted and skipped that step.....that's where I'm at - no idea if anything else works. Haven't found the Market yet - maybe cause I can't get the Google account set up?

Off to experiment!

EDIT: Marketplace was there and seems to be working JUST FINE

Last edited:

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if I have a successfully working SD card with CM on it...can I just copy that to a larger card to get more storage? Or would I have to make a new card? Thanks.

That won't work. There are two added extra partitions on the sdcard that is written that is needed in order for CM7 to run.
Here is what I would do(This worked for me every time):
Create the image using a 2gig card. Install CM7 and everything else you need for google apps to properly run. After installig everything and setting up google market, put the sd card back in the pc and this time instead of "write" image to sd card, click "read" card to save an image file. Save your image somewhere that can be easily found. Then take a larger sd card and "write" the image you saved on your pc to the larger card. After finishing that step, run EASEUS Partition Master and stretch the CM7 SDCARD partition so that it uses up all of the unallocated space.
Hope this helps.

VicH

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Very nice write up. Easiest implementation I'VE done. THANKS!!!!!!
And thanks to all involved in making this available.

Daniel King

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

I seem to be having problems. when i put in the sd card it gets to a place where it says i need to install a file from nook.linuxhacker.ru? what am i doing wrong?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I seem to be having problems. when i put in the sd card it gets to a place where it says i need to install a file from nook.linuxhacker.ru? what am i doing wrong?

You are using a file that may very well contain a virus.

Daniel King

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Well i downloaded the links provided here, so that's a little disheartning :(

kdkharris

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

ok, i'm missing something, or something is screwy. i have the files downloaded, and in the file folders. when i run Win32 Disk Imager, and go to get the image file, then cm7 folder is empty.

what have i done wrong? am i not holding my tongue right?

Daniel King

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

ok, i'm missing something, or something is screwy. i have the files downloaded, and in the file folders. when i run Win32 Disk Imager, and go to get the image file, then cm7 folder is empty.

what have i done wrong? am i not holding my tongue right?

did you download the file at the bottom of the opening post?