[HOW-TO] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to follow! No root!)

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
THIS GUIDE IS FOR WINDOWS XP, THOUGH IT WILL ALSO WORK ON VISTA AND 7. SEE KOOPAKID'S GUIDE HERE FOR MAC/LINUX INSTRUCTIONS.

BEFORE STARTING, READ THE ENTIRE GUIDE! NOT HALF, NOT TWO THIRDS, THE WHOLE GUIDE!

About:
This write up is adopted from koopakid08's writeup which was adopted from a writeup by verygreen from the XDA Forums. All original credit goes to verygreen, and to koopakid08.

What you will need:
First, you will want to get everything you need for CM7. You will need:

1. The image. This is what you will be writing to the SD Card, so the Nook can recognize it to boot off of. You can download the image HERE. I don't know if it's been fixed, but awhile ago this link was broken. I have attached the needed image file in a zipped file at the end of this post. Download it when instructed.

2. Win32 Disk Imager. Some use WinImage, so you can use that if you know how, but DiskImager is much (Read: A lot) easier to use. You can find Win32 Disk Imager HERE. Download the one that says "Binary".

3. The version of CM7 you are going to use. There are 3 different types that you can download.
  • Stable. This is the one that has had all the bugs worked out, but when I used it was the slowest. I would not recommend using this version.
  • Release Candidate, or "RC". This is the version that I use. It has most of the bugs worked out, and is newer then the stable version, so it has more features, etc.
  • Nightly. This is the most cutting edge, and buggiest version. There is a new one every day, but they are not tested so I would not recommend using them. If you do prefer these however, use later then nightly 87.

Find the stable release HERE. Find the RC HERE. Find the Nightlies HERE.

4.The GApps. These are the google apps (I.E. Market, etc.) They can't be included in the ROM for various legal reasons. You can find them HERE. Scroll down all the way to the botttom and download the CM7 version.

5. Something to unzip zip files, be it Winrar, Winzip, or 7zip.

Now to start!

1. Create a working folder somewhere on your computer to put all of your files on for easy access. Within that folder, make 2 more folders, one titled "Imager", and one titled "CM7".
2. Go to your downloads folder, and unzip your Imager to the folder you created titled "Imager". Unzip all contents of the Imager there.
3. Unzip the Image file, attached at the end of this post, into your folder titled "CM7"
4. Move your GApps Zip, your CM7 Zip to your folder titled "CM7". DO NOT Unzip either of these files.
5. Plug your SD Card into your computer somehow. You can use a built in port, or an adapter. When it is recognized by the computer, go to "My Computer" and note the drive. It will say something like "Removable Disk (E:)". the"(E:)" will be the drive.
6. Start Win32 Disk Imager. When you start it, you NEED to run it as the administrator. To do this on XP, right click the program, then click "Run As" and then click on an administrator account. On Vista and 7, right click the program and click "Run as Administrator", and it will prompt you for administrative access. Click the button that has a little file on it and navigate into you "CM7" Folder and double click the image file.
7. Click your device. It will be the letter that you noted in step 5.
8. Click "Write", and wait.
9. When it is done, remove it from the computer, then reinsert it.
10. Drag your CM7 file and your GApps file [Update, see below] onto the SD Card. There will be only one partition.
11. Turn off your Nook and insert the SD Card. Turn it back on.

If all goes well, you should see the little linux penguin and a bunch of scrolling text! When it is all done, you should be greeted by the CM7 Boot Screen, and then CM7 itself!

Apparently with CM7.1 (The newest version), to install the GApps you will now need to boot up into CM7, then:
1. Turn Nook off, and remove SD Card
2. Insert SD Card into computer, and NOW drag the Gapps.zip onto the boot partition.
3. Boot into CM&7, then hold down power and choose Reboot>>Recovery
4. Wait for it to finish, then reboot.
5. See even farther below if this doesn't work.
Thanks to Broncho for pointing out that this piecemeal method works here, and to Captain Kana, dlg47, and techienana for confirming it in the three posts after that. You guys rock!

Whenever you turn on your nook, you should always lock it, and then unlock it. Otherwise you will have some screen lag.

To Update to a new build:
If you are using nightlies, you will probably want to update relatively often.
1. Turn off your nook, and insert your SD Card into your computer.
2. Place your new CM7 File on the "Boot" partition of your SD Card, and reboot into recovery.

Your data should be preserved.

NOTE: If updating to CM7.1 from an old, old version of CM7 (i.e CM7.0.3) you should do a full rewrite of the SD Card. Don't forget to backup everything first!) Thanks to koopakid08 for pointing this out

There may be other ways to do everything in this thread, but I can not vouch fo them, as I have not done them.

I hope I helped out!

FAQ
What is CM7?
CM7. or CyanogenMod 7, is Based om AOSP, or Android Open Source Project. The developers have added in little tweaks to make it that much better then stock Android Gingerbread, but it is mostly just stock Android. Read more about it HERE and HERE.

Do I need to Root my Nook?!?
Nope! By following these instructions, you are creating an SD Card "Boot Disk". If you put the SD Card into the Nook, it will boot from it. If you take the SD Card back out, you will be back to a normal Nook. Barnes and Noble will never know!

You keep saying "The first partition". What are you talking about?
1. Plug your SD Card (Not the Nook) into your computer
2. The partition entitled "BOOT" is where you put all of your update files, as well as your GApps. Nothing else!

Where is the Market? I put the file on my SD Card but it didn't go onto the Nook!
1. Turn off your nook and take the SD Card out.
2. Put the SD Card into your computer.
3. Put the GApps file on the SD Card again. It is the partition titled "BOOT".
4. Reinsert the SD Card, and turn on the Nook.
5. Once it is powered on, once again hold down the power button, but this time select "Reboot", then "Recovery". When it is finished, you should have the market. I had to do this a few times the first time I loaded CM7 on my Nook, so just keep trying!

I have this APK file, and a bunch of music and photos that I want to load onto my CM7'd Nook. How do I get them there?
1. Plug your Nook color into your computer using the USB cable that came with your Nook.
2. Enable "USB Mass Storage" on your Nook. (It should be a notification in the notification bar)
3. A few different partitions should pop up, the one you want to drag you stuff onto is called "CM7 SD Card" (Or something like that).
4. Turn off USB Mass storage and wait a few seconds
5. Go into your app drawer and click "File Manager" (Or your file manage of choice e.g. Astro. etc.)
6. Install your APK file, or use a music manager (Doubletwist, Music, etc.) to get to your music, and "Gallery" to view your photos

How do I enable the Lockscreen?
Go into Settings>> Cyanogenmod Settings>> Tablet Tweaks>> Uncheck "Disable Lockscreen"

My Lockscreen looks weird! It is only taking up a small portion of the screen.
1. Go into Settings>> Cyanogenmod Settings>> Tablet Tweaks>> Uncheck "Disable Lockscreen"
2. Restart the Nook

I have some serious Screen Lag! How can I fix it?
Whenever you start your Nook, make sure to hit the lock button to lock the Nook, then hit it again to unlock. This should fix your screen lag.

I am experiencing "Phantom Touches". They are annoying the heck out of me!
This is a known problem with the Nook color. Just google "Nook Color Phantom touches" and you will find hundreds of people reporting about the same problem. To start, you can download THIS APP which should fix most problems. Otherwise, keep your Nook's screen really really clean. Use a paper towel, a microfiber cloth, anything. The screen on the Nook is very sensitive, and therefore reacts to even the slightest amount of finger grease, dust or other substances. This is why you will only sometimes experience phantom touches.

Last edited:

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO][WINDOWS] Download, Run CM7 off SD Card (Easy to foll

Oops! Thanks... Will fix in a sec! I guess no tutorial is perfect the first time :)

Edit: Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out.

scs926

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I've searched all over the web and this is by far the best guide for getting CM7 forusl booting! I'll definitely point my friends in this direction.!

tonicsix

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

THIS GUIDE IS FOR WINDOWS XP, THOUGH IT WILL ALSO WORK ON VISTA AND 7. SEE KOOPAKID'S GUIDE HERE FOR MAC/LINUX INSTRUCTIONS.

BEFORE STARTING, READ THE ENTIRE GUIDE! NOT HALF, NOT TWO THIRDS, THE WHOLE GUIDE!

About:
This write up is adopted from koopakid08's writeup which was adopted from a writeup by verygreen from the XDA Forums. All original credit goes to verygreen, and to koopakid08.

SD Card Info:
First, your SD Card. First rule of thumb: DON'T BUY A CLASS 10 SD CARD! I had used one before I got my new one, and got all sorts of FC's (Force Closes), and market downloads would go agonizingly slow. Like a 400kb app would take 30+ minutes to download on a super speedy WiFi connection. I switched over to a Sandisk branded class 4 8gb SD Card that I got on sale for 12 bucks from Radio Shack and the speed difference is incredible. Here is the one I bought (Link).

Now, to install CM7 to your SD Card, there is NO NEED to root! Simply pop the SD Card in to run CM7, and if you want to return to stock, pop the SD Card back out, simple as that!

What you will need:
First, you will want to get everything you need for CM7. You will need:

1. The image. This is what you will be writing to the SD Card, so the Nook can recognize it to boot off of. You can download the image HERE.

2. Win32 Disk Imager. Some use WinImage, so you can use that if you know how, but DiskImager is much (Read: A lot) easier to use. You can find Win32 Disk Imager HERE. Download the one that says "Binary".

3. The version of CM7 you are going to use. There are 3 different types that you can download.
  • Stable. This is the one that has had all the bugs worked out, but when I used it was the slowest. I would not recommend using this version.
  • Release Candidate, or "RC". This is the version that I use. It has most of the bugs worked out, and is newer then the stable version, so it has more features, etc.
  • Nightly. This is the most cutting edge, and buggiest version. There is a new one every day, but they are not tested so I would not recommend using them. If you do prefer these however, use later then nightly 87.

Find the stable release HERE. Find the RC HERE. Find the Nightlies HERE.

4.The GApps. These are the google apps (I.E. Market, etc.) They can't be included in the ROM for various legal reasons. You can find them HERE. Scroll down all the way to the botttom and download the CM7 version.

Now to start!

1. Create a working folder somewhere on your computer to put all of your files on for easy access. Within that folder, make 2 more folders, one titled "Imager", and one titled "CM7".
2. Go to your downloads folder, and unzip your Imager to the filder you created titled "Imager". Unzip all contents of the Imager there.
3. Unzip the Image file into your folder titled "CM7"
4. Move your GApps Zip, your CM7 Zip to your folder titled "CM7". DO NOT Unzip either of these files.
5. Plug your SD Card into your computer somehow. You can use a built in port, or an adapter. When it is recognized by the computer, go to "My Computer" and note the drive. It will say something like "Removable Disk (E:)". the"(E:)" will be the drive.
6. Start Win32 Disk Imager. Click the button that has a little file on it and navigate into you "CM7" Folder and double click the image file.
7. Click your device. It will be the letter that you noted in step 5.
8. Click "Write", and wait.
9. When it is done, remove it from the computer, then reinsert it.
10. Drag your CM7 file and your GApps file onto the SD Card. There will be only one partition.
11. Turn off your Nook and insert the SD Card. Turn it back on.

If all goes well, you should see the little linux penguin and a bunch of scrolling text! When it is all done, you should be greeted by the CM7 Boot Screen, and then CM7 itself!

Whenever you turn on your nook, you should always lock it, and then unlock it. Otherwise you will have some screen lag. Also, if you are experiencing "Phantom Touches", download THIS APP.

No Market?
1. Turn off your nook and take the SD Card out.
2. Put the GApps file on the SD Card again. I believe it is the partition titled "BOOT".
3. Reinsert the SD Card, and turn on the Nook.
4. Once it is powered on, once again hold down the power button, but this time select "Reboot", then "Recovery". When it is finished, you should have the market.

I had to do this a couple of times before I got the market, so just keep trying if you don't get it the first time.

To Update:
If you are using nightlies, you will probably want to update relatively often.
1. Turn off your nook, and insert your SD Card into your computer.
2. Place your new CM7 File on the "Boot" partition of your SD Card, and reboot into recovery.

Your data should be preserved.

There may be other ways to do everything in this thread, but I can not vouch fo them, as I have not done them.

I hope I helped out!
Hi,
Great looking guide. This looks to be the easiest way to Root the NC.
I will be trying in the next couple of days.

One thing,
Please explain:
Whenever you turn on your nook, you should always lock it, and then unlock it
What do you mean by Lock/unlock?
Perhaps I am being stupid, but I am new to rooting and have only hade mt NC for a few days.
Thanks again
Tonicsix

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Hi,
Great looking guide. This looks to be the easiest way to Root the NC.
I will be trying in the next couple of days.

One thing,
Please explain:
Whenever you turn on your nook, you should always lock it, and then unlock it
What do you mean by Lock/unlock?
Perhaps I am being stupid, but I am new to rooting and have only hade mt NC for a few days.
Thanks again
Tonicsix

Glad to help!
First, by doing this, you are not rooting your nook color. Apps that require root access can still work however, such as Titanium Backup. It is hard to explain, but by doing this, you will NOT be voiding your warranty, which you would do by rooting.

When I said to lock and unlock the nook, I just meant press the power button on the side to turn the screen off (Not power off, but just turn the screen off) and then press it again to turn it back on.

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Okay followed instructions looks good, installed Titanium Backup and it's telling me the device isn't rooted. installed busybox it died because it could write to a file, so any help to get TB working would be great.

EDIT: Figured it out, needed to run Fix Permissions in the ROM Manager App.

Last edited:

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site

I have what is probably a stupid question and since I don't have a NC (yet) I can't test. When you run something like CM7 from the SD card, while you are running that OS (and not the original stuff in the NC's momory) do you have access to the apps that were on your NC when you bought it? Or if you want to use the reader app do you need to reboot without the SD card into the original 1.2 NC OS? In other words do you need to keep switching back and forth by booting each time you want to use the original apps vs the CM7. And when you buy/install apps while using CM7 from SD, am I correct in assuming that they get installed to the SD card and are thus not usable when you have booted from memory and not SD card?
Thanks in advance. Just trying to make myself informed prior to purchase, etc. Great info here.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I have what is probably a stupid question and since I don't have a NC (yet) I can't test. When you run something like CM7 from the SD card, while you are running that OS (and not the original stuff in the NC's momory) do you have access to the apps that were on your NC when you bought it? Or if you want to use the reader app do you need to reboot without the SD card into the original 1.2 NC OS? In other words do you need to keep switching back and forth by booting each time you want to use the original apps vs the CM7. And when you buy/install apps while using CM7 from SD, am I correct in assuming that they get installed to the SD card and are thus not usable when you have booted from memory and not SD card?
Thanks in advance. Just trying to make myself informed prior to purchase, etc. Great info here.

No question is stupid! Yes, running off the SD Card is indeed a totally different operating system. While you will have access to your emmc (internal memory) files, such as if you put music on the internal memory of your nook, you will not have access to your Nook apps. You will have to take out the SD Card in order to get to the reader. You can, however, download the Nook reader app from the android market and read all your Nook books from that.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. Just a moment ago I was reading something at the Windows Secrets lounge where somebody mentioned using the Nook app on their Asus android tablet and I had a duh! moment where I realized that there was probably a Nook app that could be DL'd to the CM7 system. So I guess there would be no real reason to boot back and forth then?
TIA:)

Reactions: tokplas and z25

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Nope, probably not, unless you wanted to switch to playing the angry birds you bought from the nook market for 4.99 :)

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Okay have a new problem now. After i restored my backups i'm now getting a constant FC for this process.

android.process.acore

any help would be welcome thanks.

CLSmith

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Just a moment ago I was reading something at the Windows Secrets lounge where somebody mentioned using the Nook app on their Asus android tablet and I had a duh! moment where I realized that there was probably a Nook app that could be DL'd to the CM7 system. So I guess there would be no real reason to boot back and forth then?
TIA:)

The only thing you can't use in the the Nook App, is the 'read to me' books. It won't even let you download them.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Okay have a new problem now. After i restored my backups i'm now getting a constant FC for this process.

android.process.acore

any help would be welcome thanks.

What kind of SD Card are you using? When I was using a class 10 SD Card, I was always getting lots of FC's and the nook would run really slow. I would recommend a Sandisk class 4 SD Card if you don't already have one.

Edit: Just did a bit of research on it, and there could actually be a bunch of different causes. Just do a google search for "android.process.acore" and there are a lot of results for how to fix it from FCing.

Last edited:

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

What kind of SD Card are you using? When I was using a class 10 SD Card, I was always getting lots of FC's and the nook would run really slow. I would recommend a Sandisk class 4 SD Card if you don't already have one.

Edit: Just did a bit of research on it, and there could actually be a bunch of different causes. Just do a google search for "android.process.acore" and there are a lot of results for how to fix it from FCing.

using a Lexar Class 6 8GB card (High Def)

I was tinkering with settings and such without a problem it didn't start until i restored apps that i had backed up with TB. Now could the fact that i backed them up off one of the HC versions?

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

using a Lexar Class 6 8GB card (High Def)

I was tinkering with settings and such without a problem it didn't start until i restored apps that i had backed up with TB. Now could the fact that i backed them up off one of the HC versions?

It could very well be that. Did you backup any apps that required 3.0 or up? And did you backup any system apps or processes from Honeycomb? Because that will mess up CM7.

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

That might be the problem is the sys apps. I'll redo the the SD card and then restore the apps 1 at a time, make sure not to do any sys apps, i'll let you know if that works.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, if you restored ANY system apps, that would cause a problem. make sure to ONLY restore user apps. And when you restore user apps, make sure you don't restore any that require 3.0 and up. When you go into TB, click on Menu button>> Filter>> By type>> Uninst. That should show you only user apps to restore.

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Nother issues i'm having and might be i haven't dug through all the settings yet is the screen isn't locking (IE the slide lock)

I'm downloading my TB backups now all 215MB of them lol.