Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can NC use a 3G?

Love my NC, but not a tech person. I have N2A disk ordered. I spend a lot of time sitting on ball fields and dance studios that don't have free Wi-Fi. Is there any way to use a cell phone to allow my NC to access the internet? Does this have something to do with tethering? Can you explain what that is, and how it is done?
    I'm looking to replace my cell phone, it's 6 years old, I don't use it that much. But, I'm really cheap, and use a tracfone and cards for about $80 a year. So, I'm open to new hardware if the rates aren't too much. Thank you.

Yeah it's possible with a smartphone but you would also need a tethering plan. So it could cost you up past 80 dollars a MONTH on a big network like verizon and at$t. I use virgin mobile as it is on sprints network and really cheap but tethering is not "officially" supported. So you would have to do some things to get it to work. Also if you ate using the stock nook firmware it will not connect to an AD-HOC network.

---
    - Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    ROM
    Atom on Nexus

Default Re: Can NC use a 3G?

I have a rooted Droid Incredible. You can download a free wireless tethering app and not have to pay for a mobile hotspot. If you've rooted your Nook, I'm assuming you'd have no problem doing the same to an android phone.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by orlanka View Post
    I have a rooted Droid Incredible. You can download a free wireless tethering app and not have to pay for a mobile hotspot. If you've rooted your Nook, I'm assuming you'd have no problem doing the same to an android phone.
    I do the same, same phone and all.

Yes, you need to root the android smartphone you want to buy in order to tether for free. I do it all the time on my DInc with my nook and my wife's ipad. Make sure you research the Root method BEFORE you buy your phone as not all phones have a root method available (I'm speaking to you EVO 4G with GB update). Just know that it does drain the phone battery quickly. I get maybe 4 hours of battery life using my phone as a hotspot. It's similar to battery life with a mifi.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Also your nook needs to have cm7 to connect to the phones hotspot as the stock firmware doesn't support it.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Not quite a noob

ROM
    Synergy r64

Quote Originally Posted by koopakid08 View Post
    Also your nook needs to have cm7 to connect to the phones hotspot as the stock firmware doesn't support it.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Actually, you can connect stock Nook to phone's hotspot. I have mine working on stock and connected to my Sensation. Once you enable Hotspot on your phone, scan for wireless networks on your Nook and it will see it as wireless router.

Quote Originally Posted by danperde View Post
    Actually, you can connect stock Nook to phone's hotspot. I have mine working on stock and connected to my Sensation. Once you enable Hotspot on your phone, scan for wireless networks on your Nook and it will see it as wireless router.
    It must depend on the phone as stock does not support AD-HOC unless this was added in the 1.3 update.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk
    Not quite a noob

ROM
    Synergy r64

Quote Originally Posted by koopakid08 View Post
    It must depend on the phone as stock does not support AD-HOC unless this was added in the 1.3 update.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure if depends on the phone or not. I had a myTouch 4G before the Sensation and it worked on that one too. And more than that, it worked since the first day I bought the Nook (Android 1.1). Since then, I updated to 1.2, now at 1.3 and it always worked.

ROM
    Business Gingersense 3.0

I believe that it has less to do with the firmware of the nook and more to do with the settings of the tethering app. If you are using the root necessary tether app, you have to enable encryption and set up a network id and password just like you would on a typical wifi router. My nook would not connect or even acknowledge the existence of my mobile hotspot until I enabled encryption. After doing so it has always connected with no problem. Nook runs cm7 now but I first began using tehter with nookie froyo. Rooted the nook the day I got it so I had no chance to try it out on stock so I could be mistaken. Phone is rooted droid incredible that has run rooted stock sense, cm7.x, and now nils gingersense 3.0 and been able to tether nook to all.
    Not quite a noob

ROM
    Synergy r64

Quote Originally Posted by bwat1009 View Post
    I believe that it has less to do with the firmware of the nook and more to do with the settings of the tethering app. If you are using the root necessary tether app, you have to enable encryption and set up a network id and password just like you would on a typical wifi router. My nook would not connect or even acknowledge the existence of my mobile hotspot until I enabled encryption. After doing so it has always connected with no problem. Nook runs cm7 now but I first began using tehter with nookie froyo. Rooted the nook the day I got it so I had no chance to try it out on stock so I could be mistaken. Phone is rooted droid incredible that has run rooted stock sense, cm7.x, and now nils gingersense 3.0 and been able to tether nook to all.
    I believe you are right. I run my Nook with double boot option (Froyo on SD card and stock internal) and I can connect it in both modes. My Sensation and previous myTouch have the Wi-Fi Hotspot app provided (and still free) by T-Mobile. When I turn on the hotspot I need to setup SSID and WAS passcode. Like I said, the Nook it's able to see it and connect every time.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7(Nook)

My NC works fine with my Overdrive wireless hotspot. It costs $60 a month but to me it is well worth it.