Nook Won't Boot From SD

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction:
My nook color is bricked for now & I can't seem to unbrick it this time. I've been hacking it since it came out. I've had a few close calls over the past year or so but have always managed to find the advice & files needed to resolve the issues I've had either on here- Android Central, or on XDA.
The last time it was running correctly, I had a CM7 Stable rom on it with Dalingren's OC kernel & Nook Color Tweaks. It was OC'd at about 1.2Ghz as well. A
Anyway, in Nook Color Tweaks, I checked a box in the settings menu that did something to the boot configuration, I believe. I think it switched it from booting from the sd card 1st then emmc, it reversed it. Maybe. Ever since then, all I've been able to get it to do is boot loop. I can get into CMR using an sd card & install various roms & such, but nothing has been able to make it go the next step. I've tried flashing & installing so many different things from reading other forum threads that seemed to be like the issue I was having that I've just about lost hope for my nook. This isn't good, either. I love that thing. I love working with it & pushing it to try new things on it.
Anyway, I'm not real savvy with ADB but I believe going in with line commands is the only way I'm going to be able to unbrick it.
If anybody thinks they may be able to point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate the help.

If you believed that you've really bricked your nook, really screwed up the partitioning, or boot configuration, where would YOU begin & what exactly did or would you do in this case??

All help is highly appreciated:)

moshe5368

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this will help but from nook tweeks, hold down power +N to boot into menu or, press power then hold down N to boot into recovery. Maybe this will allow you to reset the boot option in nook tweeks.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I wish it would, but I don't have cm7 or nook tweaks on it anymore. It has no rom technically at this moment. In an effort to fix everything I be tried flashing the B&N stock rom but to no avail. Never gets past "Read Forever> n" boot screens. Used Complete Restore, Repartition, you name it. Ive been in questionable spots with my NC before so I really believe I recover my Nook this time too, just not sure how yet. Don't want to go through buying another. Too expensive.

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I can boot from sd into CWR only.
Wont seem to "take" any roms. Tried cm7, phiremod, bn stock, etc. No dice so far.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you wipe the system, data and both regular cache and Davlik cache before you tried to install a new ROM and the apps package? At a minimum I think you have to wipe the system to get rid of the settings.

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes.
I will perform all of the above again tonight just to be sure I haven't skipped anything, but I'm almost certain I have. Will update.

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here's what's happening now:
I tried to install MIUI rom last night. I chose this rom since I couldn't get CM7 or B&N Stock roms to take & figured I'd give it a shot. Still nothing. After going through all the steps, all it will "take" is the boot loader screen (green cyanogenmod logo & Loading...). This flashes for a few seconds before acting like it's moving on to the next screen in the sequence but only hangs up on a black screen. The screen is still on; just no graphic or anything displayed. I flashed 2 different versions of this rom 3-4 times but no luck still.

What else can I do to restore my NC? Again, I have plenty of experience flashing roms onto it & all that but I have somehow done something to the partition, I believe. If this is the case, anybody got any links to instructions on a really good way to repair the damage? Not great at all with ADB (most of my experience falls upon flashing using Clockwork, sd cards, etc.) but If that's the last line of defense, then I'm willing to learn.

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Take a look here. There is a ton of info on fixing just about everything. Portal:NookColor - nookDevs
Just tried to run CM7 off the sdcard instead of emmc, & STILL no luck.
What it does: the penguin & scrolling text appears, then one of the last lines of text states that it will reboot but only shuts off- no reboot. I waited several minutes for it to reboot but it didn't happen. I manually turned it on & all it displays is "Loading" & then goes black.
Some of the things that are featured on Portal:NookColor - nookDevs site, I've tried & haven't been able to restore this thing. Really frustrated because I've never been stuck this long. Still believe if I could just locate a thread with some adb stuff that repartitions everything I may be able to pull it off. I've never gone after the adb stuff in the past because I've always been able to flash, drag & drop, etc. Jeez...

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
@1ZachM- I read the post & was really excited until I realized that what he did didn't really fix a corrupt partition.
What I really think I need is some help repairing a corrupted partition, & don't think it's going to be as simple this time as merely flashing anything. My sdcard is fine. I tried it out on other devices to verify that when I began troubleshooting. Any links to adb repartitioning instructions?

three2nine

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
@Devito: Did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same sort of issue and I have tried just about everything as well, but haven't got it working yet.

Asaroth2010

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
@1ZachM- I read the post & was really excited until I realized that what he did didn't really fix a corrupt partition.
What I really think I need is some help repairing a corrupted partition, & don't think it's going to be as simple this time as merely flashing anything. My sdcard is fine. I tried it out on other devices to verify that when I began troubleshooting. Any links to adb repartitioning instructions?

Try this link http:mrm3.net/category/nookcolor
Look for how to repartition blue dot nook it should help out some

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
@Devito: Did you ever get this fixed? I am having the same sort of issue and I have tried just about everything as well, but haven't got it working yet.

three2nine-
Sure haven't man.
It's actually been untouched for the last month or so:(
I just can't seem to figure it out this time. Very unfortunate too; I love that thing...

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Asaroth2010- Believe it or not, but even that didn't work.
I was reading on XDA about how the nook color has 8 partitions; 4, 5, & 6 are data, system, & cache.
These are the 3 that are worked with most of the time. But if for some reason you wipe one of the others, you're screwed. That's what I'm beginning to think.
My question: Would it be possible for Dalingren's NookTweaks app to screw up my nook's partitioning beyond repair? I really wanna save it but it's looking like unless someone is willing & able to walk me through it step by step (adb), I don't have alot of hope at this point:(

With development getting slower & slower for the nook color lately, with all the newer devices coming out, I'm finding it harder to get the answers I need. Anybody else seeing this?

devito80

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Barnes & Noble.
Technician tried to walk me through resetting it (hold POWER & "n" buttons)... didn't work of course.
He says I'll have to take it to Best Buy or Barnes & Noble store, let the technician check it out, then call B&N while at the store.
C'mon guys... what are my options. I know you guys know how to pull of some magic here:)
Let me know what you think here.

proux

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Been there,here iswhat will work, it will work with cm7 or factory nook install but if you go with the nook OS you may not be able to register it, your serial number willbemissing along with some other stuff so go with cm7. From the point where after flashing cm7 the device won't boot power off remove the sd card and put a repair filecalled " Recoveryfix 3.0.2.8" not sure what it is or where it came from but itwill work. Boot to cwmr and install zip. reboot and you are fixed.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Been there,here iswhat will work, it will work with cm7 or factory nook install but if you go with the nook OS you may not be able to register it, your serial number willbemissing along with some other stuff so go with cm7. From the point where after flashing cm7 the device won't boot power off remove the sd card and put a repair filecalled " Recoveryfix 3.0.2.8" not sure what it is or where it came from but itwill work. Boot to cwmr and install zip. reboot and you are fixed.

Did you even look at the date of the last post? SMH ..

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Did you even look at the date of the last post? SMH ..

Look at the date of his recommended CWR file as well.... :)

Didn't really understand his advice either. Serial number missing? CM7 or factory o/s.... doesn't matter?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173