Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nook Powering Down On Its Own

If I leave my Nook (running CM7 installed on SD card) for several hours without using it, I will come back and find that it has completely shutdown, or at least it looks that way since the screen is off and it is unresponsive. I have to hold the power button down and start/reboot it. If it is plugged into the charger, I don't seem to have the problem

I've looked for solutions on the forums and have made sure that the CPU is set to Conservative since there was some discussion that OnDemand was creating issues.

Any other suggestions on where to look?

Default Re: Nook Powering Down On Its Own

Bump!

This is so aggravating. Any solutions???

Quote Originally Posted by shaundiesel View Post
    Bump!

This is so aggravating. Any solutions???
    Why are you bumping someone else's post after only an hour and a half?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanerh View Post
    If I leave my Nook (running CM7 installed on SD card) for several hours without using it, I will come back and find that it has completely shutdown, or at least it looks that way since the screen is off and it is unresponsive. I have to hold the power button down and start/reboot it. If it is plugged into the charger, I don't seem to have the problem

I've looked for solutions on the forums and have made sure that the CPU is set to Conservative since there was some discussion that OnDemand was creating issues.

Any other suggestions on where to look?
    It will go into deep sleep after a while to conserve the battery. Depressing the power button quickly should bring the screen back up as does the "N" button. If not, you are experiencing what is called the sleep of death. What version of CM7 are you running. The latest nightlies do not seem to have this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Why are you bumping someone else's post after only an hour and a half?
    Did that really bother you?

I meant +1, as in I was also experiencing the same problem. My apologies if that was wrong wording, and if that somehow offended you.

Solution to sleep of death:
    Use tasker to set 2 profiles. One for wifi on when screen is on and one for wifi off when screen is off. I used to get SOD daily and now I haven't gotten one in 3 weeks after setting this up.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by koopakid08 View Post
    Use tasker to set 2 profiles. One for wifi on when screen is on and one for wifi off when screen is off. I used to get SOD daily and now I haven't gotten one in 3 weeks after setting this up.

Then you don't get your alerts with wifi off though.

Then you don't get your alerts with wifi off though.
    It's the only fix as SOD is a wifi bug.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    It will go into deep sleep after a while to conserve the battery. Depressing the power button quickly should bring the screen back up as does the "N" button. If not, you are experiencing what is called the sleep of death. What version of CM7 are you running. The latest nightlies do not seem to have this issue.
    I'm using 152 build from late July. Any idea which version started dealing better with SOD?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I'll give it a try. Not that worried about receiving alerts when I'm not using it.

UPDATE: Checked the Market and found Tasker. A little expensive ($6.49) if this is the only thing I'm using it for. Seems like its pretty powerful, but many of the example tasks that reviewers write about seem to be more suited to people using it on their phones where they are turning on/off the GPS, putting the phone on car mounts, etc. Basically using it to adjust things as they move their phone into different environments. That's not what I do with my Nook, so I'm wondering if you're using Tasker for other things besides toggling the wifi based on the screen? Any less expensive options if this is the only thing I'm doing? I looked at Setting Profile Lite, but it only allows one rule and I need two. The full version is less expensive than Tasker, but I don't know if its as good.

I know it sounds like I'm being cheap..$6.49 is less than the cost of single lunch. I think I'm just stuck on the issue that at $6.49 it would be one of the more expensive apps I've purchased and it would be doing a very limited function. I may just need to get over this

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

If you are looking for a less expensive option, try turning off wifi before you put the nook to sleep and then turning wifi on after you wake it up. As wifi is the problem with SOD, this is a free solution.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Check out this article that just touches on the surface or what tasker can do. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tasker-...p-caters-whim/

You could try Llama if you really dont want to spend any money.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/llama-a...tion-profiles/

I have no experience with Llama at all so I do not know how it would work.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Check out this article that just touches on the surface or what tasker can do. Tasker For Android: A Mobile App That Caters to Your Every Whim

You could try Llama if you really dont want to spend any money.
    Use Llama To Automate Your Android Phone With Location Profiles & More

I have no experience with Llama at all so I do not know how it would work.

I'll look at Llama, but it seems that Tasker is the way to go. Great articel..thanks!

BTW I did manually turn off Wifi before I went to bed last night and this morning was the first time in ages that my Nook was still on and ready to go when I checked it. I totally buy that the SOD is Wifi related.

The easiest and FREE way to do it is to go into settings>wireless networks>wifi settings, then tap menu. Then, tap advanced. Tap wifi sleep policy, and change it to "when screen turns off"

I've not had a SOD since and its FREE! Hope this helps.

The easiest and FREE way to do it is to go into settings>wireless networks>wifi settings, then tap menu. Then, tap advanced. Tap wifi sleep policy, and change it to "when screen turns off"

I've not had a SOD since and its FREE! Hope this helps.
    This does not solve SOD due to the fact that if wifi is in use when you turn the screen off it will remain on for some time and it will also periodically sync over wifi in the background. Therefore not fixing SOD completely.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

This does not solve SOD due to the fact that if wifi is in use when you turn the screen off it will remain on for some time and it will also periodically sync over wifi in the background. Therefore not fixing SOD completely.

Well before I saw the suggestion to try using the wifi policy settings, I went ahead and bought Tasker and set up the profiles. Works like a champ and for some reason, it actually seems to be connecting to the wireless networks faster once it turns on than I had seen it doing before. Haven't had an SOD in about 5 days. Loving the Nook again!

Hey Koopa

I used to get SOD everytime I turned my NC on. Since I did this, I have not had one SOD, and that was almost 2 weeks ago. Perhaps it, like so many other things, is different on every NC? Worked for me.

Hey Koopa

I used to get SOD everytime I turned my NC on. Since I did this, I have not had one SOD, and that was almost 2 weeks ago. Perhaps it, like so many other things, is different on every NC? Worked for me.
    It sort of solves it but not completely as I laid out in my last post. The way that it is built into CM makes it not the complete solution. That being said it will defiantly make SOD happen less often then having sleep policy set to never.

It sort of solves it but not completely as I laid out in my last post. The way that it is built into CM makes it not the complete solution. That being said it will defiantly make SOD happen less often then having sleep policy set to never.

gotcha. Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues for me. BTW, thanks for all your help in this forum Koopa!