[HOW-TO]Idiot's Guide to SD Honeycomb + Marketplace

Was this guide helpful or useful to you?

• Total voters

Jaymus3

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok... when I first installed honeycomb, I used over 15 sources just to get everything straightened out. I felt that everyone was not explanatory enough for someone like me who has little or no experience like myself. I took all of the information i gathered and posted it here so in the future people can go to one source for solid instructions.

Prerequisites
A Nook Color
A microSD card 4gb or larger (I used 8gb for lots of space)
Time
ADB (Explained later)

Instructions
There are many ways to do this, but the following is the way that worked best for me.
1. Lots of downloads. Keep all of these and you won't have to download them later. First thing's first, get the Andriod SDK, as this is the best version of the adb that I know of. (explained later)

Link: SDK

Next you will need the Nook Honeycomb image. This is a link to the download page:

Link: Forum Page (I'd use the torrent. It's much faster)

Next you will need a little utility called Win32DiskImager which can be found here:

Link: The Utility

Finally, if you mess up come back up here and download this to format your SD card (explained later).

Link: HP Formatting Tool

2. Now the real fun can begin. First you want to start that Android SDK installation that we downloaded earlier. Install it to your C:\ directory as the following: C:\android-sdk\ You will need the Java JDK for that to work, so I would recommend getting that first (google it).
3. When that install is finished, click Start, all programs, Android SDK Tools, SDK manager (Run as administrator if you are Vista/7). When that is started a window should open that shows a large list of downloads. Click Accept All and then click install. This will take a very long time, so lets write our SD card in the meantime.
4. While the SDK is downloading, open Win32DiskImager and make sure your microSD card is inserted. Click the folder icon and browse to the honeycomb image downloaded earlier.
5. Now select the drive letter of your sd card. Make sure it is the right one, as you can corrupt your hard drive! Then click Write. That will take a while. go get a cup of coffee and come back. If this fails, run that Hp tool on your SD card to format it. windows won't be able to format it correctly.
6. when that is finished, power off your nook, and insert the SD card. Then turn it back on, and you are running honeycomb! But wait, you may say. Me no see market. That was the part that required the most sources for me.
7. Download the following:

Link: Gapps
Link:Driver
8. Once that android SDK finishes, go into the Available Packages section of the SDK menu, and Check both boxes, so it downloads everything there, and click install selected.
9. Extract both Gapps and the "driver" to your desktop in separate folders.
10. When that is finished, we can finally begin the process of installing the market. Make sure your nook is booted into the honeycomb, and plug it in to your usb cord. If you have ever plugged your nook into this computer in the past, keep reading. If you havent, skip to step 12.
11. Your computer will probably recognize it as your regular nook. But it isn't, so we need to fix that. Open the device manager (Right-click computer, properties, device manager on left), and first find the section labeled disk drives. Right-Click and uninstall both "E-Book Reader" or whatever it shows up to be. (It may be one) Now, go into Universal Serial Bus Contollers, and uninstall the usb mass storage device. (if there are multiple, uninstall all. If it was some other device, it will be fixed in the next step.)
12. Now, click Action, and Scan for hardware changes. It should find a device labeled Nook in other devices. Right click and update driver software. Select Browse to location and browse to your "Driver" folder. Make sure to check include subfolders. It will pop up a signature warning. Just proceed. when it is finished, you will see a new section called "Android phone" and under it should be "Android Composite ADB device."
13. Finally, open your Gapps folder, and run the install bat. Your nook should restart with the market on it!

thh8888

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I followed the guide here and it worked great. There are a few things I like to add to help folks out there.

1) The image you download is for a 4G SD Card. If you have a card that's larger than that, you need to resize the /sdcard partition on the image. Easiest thing is to find a Linux box to fix this.
- Shutdown Honeycomb and remove the MicroSD card and put in to a MicroSD to USB adapter.
- Then insert the USB adapter with the SD card into a Linux box.
- Do a "df" and note the /dev/sd# where your /media/sdcard is mounted
- Run "parted /dev/sd# where # is the device ID for the SD card.
- Type "p" to print out the current start
- Type "resize start# end#"
When it's done, remove the SD card and put back in your Nook Color. Now /sdcard is what you should have and not 1.5G from the default image.

2) For video playing, the best player to use is "QQPlayer". I've tried quite a few and it's the only that works for .m4v, mkv, and avi.

So far I'm loving Honeycomb on my Nook Color. I have a 16G Class 4 SD card. And that seems to be working fine. I'm still trying to get Netflix working but so far no luck. Netflix won't even start. I've followed the instruction and modified by build.prop to mimic Nexus S but no workie. Anyone has any luck with this so far?

Jaymus3

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I followed the guide here and it worked great. There are a few things I like to add to help folks out there.

1) The image you download is for a 4G SD Card. If you have a card that's larger than that, you need to resize the /sdcard partition on the image. Easiest thing is to find a Linux box to fix this.
- Shutdown Honeycomb and remove the MicroSD card and put in to a MicroSD to USB adapter.
- Then insert the USB adapter with the SD card into a Linux box.
- Do a "df" and note the /dev/sd# where your /media/sdcard is mounted
- Run "parted /dev/sd# where # is the device ID for the SD card.
- Type "p" to print out the current start
- Type "resize start# end#"
When it's done, remove the SD card and put back in your Nook Color. Now /sdcard is what you should have and not 1.5G from the default image.

2) For video playing, the best player to use is "QQPlayer". I've tried quite a few and it's the only that works for .m4v, mkv, and avi.

So far I'm loving Honeycomb on my Nook Color. I have a 16G Class 4 SD card. And that seems to be working fine. I'm still trying to get Netflix working but so far no luck. Netflix won't even start. I've followed the instruction and modified by build.prop to mimic Nexus S but no workie. Anyone has any luck with this so far?
Ok... i like your add-on here, but I do have a few questions. First thing's first, I believe this could be accomplished using virtualbox, otherwise that kind of defeats the purpose of this windows guide... but that's just my thought process. Also, I have expereinced some flash issues, particularly youtube and netflix or other video streams. Are you having these, too? I would really like to get them fixed, as that puts buzzkill on the tablet browser experience. I will overview your guide and possibly add it to the original. Thanks for the helpful comment!:-!

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok... i like your add-on here, but I do have a few questions. First thing's first, I believe this could be accomplished using virtualbox, otherwise that kind of defeats the purpose of this windows guide... but that's just my thought process. Also, I have expereinced some flash issues, particularly youtube and netflix or other video streams. Are you having these, too? I would really like to get them fixed, as that puts buzzkill on the tablet browser experience. I will overview your guide and possibly add it to the original. Thanks for the helpful comment!:-!

That would be one of many issues with honeycomb. HC will never work right because it is not based off official source code. It was reverse engineered from a buggy SDK simulator.

I would suggest CM7.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Reactions: zires

Jaymus3

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
That would be one of many issues with honeycomb. HC will never work right because it is not based off official source code. It was reverse engineered from a buggy SDK simulator.

I would suggest CM7.
Well then... i may try it after i learn more about it

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci